IGNORED

Preston North End at home - match day thread

Another decent performance but we laced a cutting edge. Our best efforts came from a run and shot by the outstanding Atkinson first half and from a crisp shot by the even more outstanding Massengo in the second. I thought we overplayed the long throw, we never looked like threatening Preston that way. And Preston posed a threat through the movement of Maguire and especially the clever passing of Johnson. Every time he was on the ball I worried. All in all not a dull 0-0 draw and, while disappointed we didn't win, I'll take the consolation prize of a clean sheet. Just 14 more of those to make us title contenders (according to Nige). 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1
3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

It was a very tough game. Preston were very sharp and strong defensively, very compact. I think Weimann and Martin have been class so far this season but not too much of a problem today for the Preston defence.

I think tactically they were causing us problems. I still feel that Massengo central with Semenyo wide right might give us a bit more mobility in both areas of the pitch. But also Scott already looks so good, I was disappointed not to see him come on last 20.

Wells did well though wide left. Forced some corners and gave us some fresh legs and pace. Pring's legs seem to go after an hour or so.

I actually thought it was an entertaining 0-0. Probably a fair result, maybe they edged it. I thought Swansea game was a better performance but I think Preston are the more difficult team to play against.

Not long got home from the game and was about to write a similar summary. For a 0-0 it was pretty enjoyable to watch and  a draw was a fair result. My only criticism would be Kalas's long throws. why so many, why so ineffective. He wasted so much time taking them, drying the ball etc.

Wouldnt be surprised to see Semenyo and Dasilva start on Wednesday with Massengo inside instead of King.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I don't give a **** about Cardiff I've travelled the length and breadth if this island watching City. Out home record is horrific if it wasn't for an incredibly wasteful Preston team that would be another dog shit home performance to chalk of the massive list.

If you're happy with this then fine, I want better. 

If you can’t see improvement overall but also realise it’s a work in progress then you really ain’t got a clue. Pearson said it’s a rebuild job . It’s going to take time . There were players that underperformed today. Get over it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Bobbie said:

Disappointed by the negative line-up today. Loved it as a way to nullify Cardiff away but that’s not a line-up to dominate at home against an average side. 

Do you really expect City, an average(ish) side themselves to dominate any / many home games this season.  We are not Fulham (who lost to Blackpool) or West Brom (who drew with Millwall).  As fans we shouldn’t expect to dominate - that is where we get a slightly superior / entitled view from.  I think we will draw quite a lot of games this season.  We are in a group of 10(ish) clubs who are no better or worse than each other in reality.  Luton will be a tough game.

I do feel for those fans who were expecting 6 points from our two games, because they’ve lost already and we are only one game in.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

True & I was surprised Dasilva didn’t start, but if he had & we’d lost we would be drowning in a sea of why change a winning team posts.

We were fortunate at times to get a point but some excellent last ditch defending by Atkinson (my MoM) & Vyner saved us.

Disappointing set piece delivery from James, Baker’s distribution showed why he really isn’t a LB & Martin seemed to be on his own up top too often.

Prefer to win of course but expected a draw beforehand & against cynical, dirty opponents will take that, because we would have lost that game last season.

I have no issues with the starting line up, only just listened to Nige pre-match….Preston a big team, options on the bench, players chomping at the bit to get in the team, are motivated.

I do think in hindsight that Baker’s passing stifled Pring today, but I also thought Pring played a bit too much on the wing, whereas he’d been good going in to out previously.  Their wingback approach caused us more problems than Cardiff’s….I thought Earl (LWB) got acres first half because Pring didn’t tuck in to allow James and King to shuffle over and allow Massengo to help Vyner.  Vyner had a good game, but they got high ball out to Earl or Riis 2v1 too often.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Good assessment JD - pretty much as I saw the game.

However…….King looked way of the pace and pretty ineffective and no surprise to see him replaced but Massengo was superb the entire game and without him in midfield PNE would have created more opportunities and City may well have lost the game. He was definitely MoM by some distance.

Not a hugely disappointing result by a long chalk. 

Onwards and upwards to face Luton on Wednesday eve under the lights - always a great atmosphere at a night game.

I thought King had a good 60 mins (although right to sub him on 69 mins)….I thought James didn’t reach his standard today, thought King was the better of the pair.  James set pieces v.poor today.

As you say, not a disappointing point at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1
7 minutes ago, Super said:

Would definitely start semenyo and JD. We badly need some width and pace. One of slowest City teams I can remember.

Not sure we’re that slow, Weimann, Massengo and Pring not slouches, but no Junior Bents or Dave Smiths admittedly. Thought we missed guile more than pace, so would have brought on Scott rather than Semenyo. 

Edited by The Swan and Cemetery
  • Like 2
8 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Not long got home from the game and was about to write a similar summary. For a 0-0 it was pretty enjoyable to watch and  a draw was a fair result. My only criticism would be Kalas's long throws. why so many, why so ineffective. He wasted so much time taking them, drying the ball etc.

Wouldnt be surprised to see Semenyo and Dasilva start on Wednesday with Massengo inside instead of King.

Think it was a tough call to change the team today….Nige explained why, Preston are big….and we didn’t dominate the aerials today….Riis did well and little Maguire jumps at you or pushes you, but the ref missed all of it (useless ####).

I think Nige can rightly swap things up on Wednesday.  You don’t build team togetherness and competition by swapping players out willy nilly.  

• Like 4

I have not seen City play live since January 2020. In the two years before then, I, and many others, could see that there was a problem. Negative tactics, lots of long term injuries were papered over by wins scraped more by luck than judgment.

Even the recruitment of a top quality manager, NP, was not enough to bring a quick recovery. We survived being relegated by a whisker and Pearson had openly admitted this.

So I find it amazing that some City fans are so critical about the performances and results this season to date.

A home draw against PNE is a disappointing result? For the last ten years, Preston have always won or drawn our matches with them.

So is a no score draw today, the disastrous result that some are saying?

Definitely not, I would say. No goals conceded and a draw that gives us two very close defeats, two draws and two away wins.

To have lost only 33% of our games so far is an achievement. We are improving, not as quickly as some would like, but we are doing OK in our attempt to consolidate our place in this league.

Well done squad. Keep fighting.

• Like 13
  • Robin 1
Just now, Davefevs said:

Think it was a tough call to change the team today….Nige explained why, Preston are big….and we didn’t dominate the aerials today….Riis did well and little Maguire jumps at you or pushes you, but the ref missed all of it (useless ####).

I think Nige can rightly swap things up on Wednesday.  You don’t build team togetherness and competition by swapping players out willy nilly.  

Yes I agree. I had no quibble with the selection pre game. Nige has said on several occassions if a player is in possession of the shirt and does well then they keep. No need to change anything after Cardiff. I just feel that Wednesday we need to be on the front foot a bit more, go for the home win from the start rather than waiting to make attacking substitutions later in the game.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Malago said:

Played 6, won 2, lost 2, drawn 2, GD 0, tells you exactly where we are at the moment.

Pearson has steadied a sinking ship.  Lots to work on, but nothing to be fearful of.

I think this is exactly the case at the moment. Don’t think it was a particularly good game or performance, just pretty average but that is exactly where we are. We were much better against Swansea.  But Pearson has put the brakes on a disasterous downward trajectory over the last 18 months and is very slowly turning it around. What we are seeing now is at least some commitment, some shape to the team to make it at least have more competitiveness about it and some individually good progression amongst the young players. I think Martin, King and possibly Vyner wouldn’t be the ideal candidates for their positions that Nige would choose. Decent squad members, but lacking that little bit of something to get to the top 6 or 8 in the division over a whole season. Bottom line is we blew any substantial budget we had on too many average players over the last few seasons and totally mismanaged the contracts. But that is where we are.

As much as its frustrating, I rather we build steadily as we seem to be doing than risk going shit or bust. As I say, I actually think we aint got much choice at this stage. Nige has to turn it around and gradually get in those other players that will offer more threat within the team structure. So until the finances get back to a steadier position, we’re going to experience a few more huff n puff performances this season amongst one or two really good ones. But at least the team looks like it cares now though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1
26 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

If you can’t see improvement overall but also realise it’s a work in progress then you really ain’t got a clue. Pearson said it’s a rebuild job . It’s going to take time . There were players that underperformed today. Get over it. 

Some people don’t want to look at the bigger picture. It’s only immediate results that matter. They might be disappointed for a while. Others will enjoy watching us improve over time. Pearson seems to be happy with the progress so far and the thing he keeps banging on about is we have a group that cares.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1
3 hours ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Wouldn’t people have thought it bit odd if he’d left out Baker or Pring and Massengo or Weimann? 

Think only one of those would have been left out and that is Baker. Was clear why Baker started against Cardiff but different ask today. I’d have had Dasilva in for Baker and Semenyo for King with Massengo central. Not wholesale changes but a couple tweaks for a different scenario.

As it turned out thought King had a good game. Baker played his part as well. Just we had a bit more possession and generally comfortable possession so we could have used a bit more impetus from the start. 

59 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I am. And judging by our attendance today others are to.

I can see its a work in progress, albeit slow progress, and I'm willing to put up with boring football for a bit, I mean I remember the mcinnes and sod days vividly. 

But, we pay for this, no win in 15 at home at any level is not acceptable. I'm surprised how many people keep defending this and making excuses. 

12 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

I can see its a work in progress, albeit slow progress, and I'm willing to put up with boring football for a bit, I mean I remember the mcinnes and sod days vividly. 

But, we pay for this, no win in 15 at home at any level is not acceptable. I'm surprised how many people keep defending this and making excuses. 

Yes you do pay for it

but in the 40 odd years i have been watching football 

i have never seen the words You will be entertained or your money back!!! on ANY of the tickets i have brought

Not even the ones i have from Real Madrid

6 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Yes you do pay for it

but in the 40 odd years i have been watching football 

i have never seen the words You will be entertained or your money back!!! on ANY of the tickets i have brought

Not even the ones i have from Real Madrid

I'm not asking for money back just one solitary win. We're breaking unwanted club records here guys, no-one seems bothered. 

49 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Out of interest did you find today boring?

A lot of posters reaction was that it was an entertaining 0-0.

48 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

But you’re not grasping the absolute ******* mess we were in at the end of last season, on & off the pitch . It takes more than a few games to turn that around . I’m looking long term. First off the players are all fighting  for the badge which is a decent achievement in itself after last season . I personally think this time next year we’ll see a completely different side to the one that finished last. We haven’t  got the money nor would I want us to change the squad  too radically . To say it’s unacceptable comes across as petulant & in all honesty , complete bollocks. All about opinions though 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

But you’re not grasping the absolute ******* mess we were in at the end of last season, on & off the pitch . It takes more than a few games to turn that around . I’m looking long term. First off the players are all fighting  for the badge which is a decent achievement in itself after last season . I personally think this time next year we’ll see a completely different side to the one that finished last. We haven’t  got the money nor would I want us to change the squad  too radically . To say it’s unacceptable comes across as petulant & in all honesty , complete bollocks. All about opinions though 

Similar views. 30 years sitting on the couch and eating junk food, then decide to start exercising and eat healthily. Won’t be an Adonis overnight, but can celebrate the new leg warmers and lettuce regime. The past is the past and all that. May not turn out how we’d hope, but for now, I’m happy with how it’s going. 

• Thanks 1

Happy with a point in the end. We could easily have lost because Preston looked dangerous throughout and had that spell at the end of the first half when we were on the ropes. Daniel Johnson played well for them today (always seems to play well against us), although he was less effective in the second half. 

We created little and didn’t really look like scoring. Massengo stood out, although he looked slightly lost on the right hand side at first. Wells wasn’t on for long but looked sharp. 

The ref was poor. 

Frustrating that we’re still waiting for that home win, and it wasn’t an exciting performance, but another point gained. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Offside said:

Happy with a point in the end. We could easily have lost because Preston looked dangerous throughout and had that spell at the end of the first half when we were on the ropes. Daniel Johnson played well for them today (always seems to play well against us), although he was less effective in the second half. 

We created little and didn’t really look like scoring. Massengo stood out, although he looked slightly lost on the right hand side at first. Wells wasn’t on for long but looked sharp. 

The ref was poor. 

Frustrating that we’re still waiting for that home win, and it wasn’t an exciting performance, but another point gained. 

The ref was effing abysmal.  That is one of the worst ref performances I’ve seen in recent years….completely inept.  He allowed them to found us, and pulled us up everytime we breathed on them.  That is unacceptable imho.  He should take a long hard look at his performance today.  It stank of bias.  I have less of a problem if they are crap for both sides…although as professional referees they shouldn’t be bad.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Nah. No wins at home for that period if time is not petulantce, but pure negligence. You won't change my mind on that mate, I can understand the optimism and yes, it's not the shit show it was but it's still a bit shit. 

6 hours ago, downendcity said:

Ah, but that was before the resurrection of CR7.

You just know that Man U will get a penalty to give CR his hat trick and then after the match, stories will surface that he has been out and about curing lame men, giving sight to the blind and finding a solution to world hunger and poverty.

Raducanu hasn't a hope against that.

We shall see. I just watched her win. That’s 20 straight sets in a row. Remarkable achievement. 

Edited by Atlanta_Red
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1