IGNORED

Preston North End at home - match day thread

I thought we set up not to lose. Not a bad thing really - if we don't lose it keeps the confidence going.

Basically 4 Center Half's making up the back four. People may say its negative but the same side scored two goals away at Cardiff to secure the win. NP did change things around as we clearly lacked a threat from out wide. Probably could have gone 3 at the back earlier but can understand the need for keeping it tight.

I would shift Massengo into the middle at the expense of king for the next game. 

I have enjoyed all 3 home games this season even if we have yet to win one. It's a million times better than previous dross we have been served up. If we play as we have done this season we will finish mid table comfortably.

COYR

• Like 2
  • Flames 1
24 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

The entire management and leadership team at this club. Its their responsibility to deliver results, and at home at least they haven't.

Dave - how is this run we are on anything other than a complete mess. 

You won't agree with me and as much as I’d like us to win at AG (as I only really do home games), I honestly couldn’t give a toss where we earn our points. We can draw our remaining 20 home games if we can pick up good away results, for all I care.

And…you won’t agree with this either, I drew a line under last season.  He gave some poor professionals every opportunity to show what they could do before he gave up on them and played the kids, risking them in a poor environment.  SL and MA ****** up, left him with a shit fest to start a rebuild.

Would it be better to have won today but draw in Cardiff….both get you 4 points.  Yeah, you might gain a bit of psychological advantage back at AG, but you lose a bit of confidence of your ability to win away.  Swings and roundabouts.

In a league system that on average you play alternate home and away fixtures I don’t put too much stock in home runs and away runs…..overall runs are more important.  I’m a positive / optimistic guy and see it as two unbeaten, 4 points from 2, 7 points from 4.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 3
11 minutes ago, Atlanta_Red said:

We shall see. I just watched her win. That’s 20 straight sets in a row. Remarkable achievement. 

So did I - brilliant wasn’t it. Has to be u there with some of the greatest sporting achievements.

Good news is that she has taken all the headlines, although we should perhaps be grateful that Ronnie didn't get his hat trick, or he might have given her a run for her money in terms of grabbing the headlines.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Seriously?

Even the most positive and optimistic fans will be bothered/worried/concerned with our dismal home form and lack of a win since January. I also suspect that Pearson, SL and the players will be extremely bothered that they cannot deliver a home win to fans that have been deprived of live football for so long.

However, I also think that many/most of those fans are able to see the bigger picture, in that the home form is not just an aberration of the Pearson era. The groundwork for all of this was well established under LJ, when his tactics of setting up for home games to counter the opposition, starting slowly, conceding the initiative and usually relying on a last ditch gun-ho attempt to salvage something from games, set in place a mentality that carried forward long after he left.

I think most also understand the absolute shambles that Pearson inherited, thanks in no small part to Ashton’s antics, and that it will not be an overnight job to reverse the trends of the last 2/3 seasons. We would have lost today’s game had it been played 6/7 months’ ago, that we didn't is down to Pearson having made us tougher to beat ( albeit that the bar was not set particularly high last season!).  

Coming into this season and based on the way we finished last season, I think that many fans were genuinely concerned that Pearson seemed unable to stop the rot , let alone turn it around. Surely, even the most sceptical can agree that so far this season shows that he has stopped the rot and has got the team showing more fight, grit and determination ( the lack of which previously was perhaps the biggest gripe among fans) and looking a more organised team. That there are still areas of weakness is clear, but Pearson seems to have a plan in place and is working to it, and crucially the players appear to have bought into it and play for him. 

Back in May, if someone had offered us a safe mid table finish this season, I’m guessing most would have bitten their hand off. It is strange that now we seem to be headed in that direction so many fans seem unhappy with the way things are progressing. With limited financial means at his disposal, thanks to Ashton’s regime, other than arguing the toss over team selections, just what do people think Pearson can do better than he is?

Brill post ??????

• Like 4
16 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Seriously?

Even the most positive and optimistic fans will be bothered/worried/concerned with our dismal home form and lack of a win since January. I also suspect that Pearson, SL and the players will be extremely bothered that they cannot deliver a home win to fans that have been deprived of live football for so long.

However, I also think that many/most of those fans are able to see the bigger picture, in that the home form is not just an aberration of the Pearson era. The groundwork for all of this was well established under LJ, when his tactics of setting up for home games to counter the opposition, starting slowly, conceding the initiative and usually relying on a last ditch gun-ho attempt to salvage something from games, set in place a mentality that carried forward long after he left.

I think most also understand the absolute shambles that Pearson inherited, thanks in no small part to Ashton’s antics, and that it will not be an overnight job to reverse the trends of the last 2/3 seasons. We would have lost today’s game had it been played 6/7 months’ ago, that we didn't is down to Pearson having made us tougher to beat ( albeit that the bar was not set particularly high last season!).  

Coming into this season and based on the way we finished last season, I think that many fans were genuinely concerned that Pearson seemed unable to stop the rot , let alone turn it around. Surely, even the most sceptical can agree that so far this season shows that he has stopped the rot and has got the team showing more fight, grit and determination ( the lack of which previously was perhaps the biggest gripe among fans) and looking a more organised team. That there are still areas of weakness is clear, but Pearson seems to have a plan in place and is working to it, and crucially the players appear to have bought into it and play for him. 

Back in May, if someone had offered us a safe mid table finish this season, I’m guessing most would have bitten their hand off. It is strange that now we seem to be headed in that direction so many fans seem unhappy with the way things are progressing. With limited financial means at his disposal, thanks to Ashton’s regime, other than arguing the toss over team selections, just what do people think Pearson can do better than he is?

Me too. Thanks @downendcity.

And brilliant win for Emma.

• Like 1

I think today had its good points- obviously a) The long winless home run and b) Just the one home goal for the season are reasons to be downcast but we seemed solid, to play to a plan as we do under NP- we had some chances, they had better chances- a hard fought 0-0 vs a Championship regular, it's alright, keeps things ticking over- I would have deemed the run this week to be a 5-9 point one in terms of targets, well the latter is out but win against Luton and away at Peterborough could be possible- vs Blackpool after a slow start we had some good chances and were a last minute concession away from the win, vs Swansea we played well in defeat and had we scored first we win.

I would like to see more of Scott and Semenyo, DaSilva at LB moving forward as well perhaps would give that extra bit of attacking output?

We smack of midtable right now IMO, the big issue I suppose is the lack of home return so far even if performances themselves acceptable- which in turn puts pressure on the away games.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

First off the players are all fighting  for the badge

In recent times many of us declared that they would simply be happy to see this. 
Échoes of our time in the basement where we scraped a  ragbag team together yet provided a spirit of community which propelled us up the league and to our first ever Wembley performance and trophy. 
These days folks can’t even wait for instant coffee.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Would it be better to have won today but draw in Cardiff….both get you 4 points.  Yeah, you might gain a bit of psychological advantage back at AG, but you lose a bit of confidence of your ability to win away.  Swings and roundabouts.

This.....

A lot of the moaning I've heard as a result of drawing yesterday I wouldn't be listening to had we drawn at Cardiff & beaten Preston.

Perception.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, downendcity said:

Seriously?

Perfectly summed up.

Thank you..

Bentley 

Vyner.   Kalas.  Atkinson.    JD

James.   HNM

Semenyo.  Weimann.     Pring

Wells

Play this team Wednesday and we’ll finally get that home win. Yesterday was solid and you can understand him keeping same team as they won previously, but the team just needs an injection of pace and some fresh legs. 

Iv seen the comments regarding JD at left back, but why move Pring back when he’s been playing so well further forward? Semenyo in for King seems quite obvious as King was quiet yesterday, and we need to give Wells a chance to shine as he looked really up for it in his brief cameo yesterday.

Overall it’s been a steady start with more better performances than last year already, and I’m actually looking forward to City games again - that’s a major plus considering everything over past 18months

Edited by brad blit
  • Like 3

Whilst still not getting the W that we all crave, this is a continued step in the right direction. Was always going to take some time (when operating on limited funds) to turn last seasons juggernaut around. Gradually players confidence / mental strength are returning. There was always going to be bumps. Bumps this time though with a seasoned experience manager. We are turning into a dogged outfit, disciplined out of possession and actually look like a team. Another point gained for me. Preston are a tricky undervalued Championship outfit. 

• Like 2

Clean sheet was good yesterday. Feels better with Baker as instead of Dasilva. Massengo not far from score his first goal, good save. Preston hit woodwork and had other good chances to. Wanted a win offcause but Draw when you look afterwoods is ok. One conseded goal in two games is progress. We were ok yesterday but the last pass was not there, as someone wrote: last season we had lost this game. NP get us in the right direction. COYR!!!

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Thinking back I was probably being a bit generous. Preston were the better side. Maybe the stats don't show that but we only really had long shots from Martin and Weimann who shouldn't even have attempted shots in those positions as they were never going to score, a Martin free kick, Massengo and Atkinson had long shots too. Maybe Atkinson header was the one good chance we created.

Preston had 5 very good chances and the amount of last ditch defending like Atkinson block on a ball across that would have looked like a tap in for the Preston forward. Vyner dealing with that break after a heavy Massengo touch. Quite a number of other times Preston had the ball in dangerous positions and we had to really be switched on. Not at all comfortable to watch.

Pearson does not mind taking chances, and we do have very good one on one defenders when teams break down the middle. Vyner is actually very good in more central areas when one on one, and Kalas and Atkinson both mobile defenders too.

That was certainly Matty James worst performance so far this season. I think they had too much to do in there and were unable to support our forwards unlike games like Swansea where he was getting very advanced.

Weimann lacked quality in the 10 role. I think Scott could have given us more creativity in that role. I expect Weimann keeps his place in the side considering he's had a very good season so far. Up top we just could not threaten them. Martin wasn't the same as he had been in previous games either. 

Very happy with the result considering how we played. There were some positives from the performance but need to improve on that. 

Not sure if there may be a bit of rotation on Wednesday. Would like to see Semenyo from the start.

It should of been a 3 pointer playing at home. OK things are getting better but still a few more years I think before we celebrate Prem at BS3. There are some positives in comparison to the last two seasons. We could still be playing some players in the wrong positions. I trust in NP for this season any way and most likely next season in the same league. 

we are playing now better and it is like a bloody carrot is being dangled in front of us for better things to come. However no carrots seem to be fully produced as yet.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Do you really expect City, an average(ish) side themselves to dominate any / many home games this season.  We are not Fulham (who lost to Blackpool) or West Brom (who drew with Millwall).  As fans we shouldn’t expect to dominate - that is where we get a slightly superior / entitled view from.  I think we will draw quite a lot of games this season.  We are in a group of 10(ish) clubs who are no better or worse than each other in reality.  Luton will be a tough game.

I do feel for those fans who were expecting 6 points from our two games, because they’ve lost already and we are only one game in.

I have no issues with the starting line up, only just listened to Nige pre-match….Preston a big team, options on the bench, players chomping at the bit to get in the team, are motivated.

I do think in hindsight that Baker’s passing stifled Pring today, but I also thought Pring played a bit too much on the wing, whereas he’d been good going in to out previously.  Their wingback approach caused us more problems than Cardiff’s….I thought Earl (LWB) got acres first half because Pring didn’t tuck in to allow James and King to shuffle over and allow Massengo to help Vyner.  Vyner had a good game, but they got high ball out to Earl or Riis 2v1 too often.

I thought King had a good 60 mins (although right to sub him on 69 mins)….I thought James didn’t reach his standard today, thought King was the better of the pair.  James set pieces v.poor today.

As you say, not a disappointing point at all.

I don’t expect us to dominate no, but I felt with that line-up we removed any possibility of really stamping our authority on the game. We set up to keep it tight and to try and nick something which allowed them to grow in confidence and therefore losing our home advantage. 

For us to win at home, I feel we need to believe in ourselves more and put teams on the back foot. IMO We can do that by playing with width and pace, Pring and Semenyo starting on either wing would be a good starting point. A midfield of James, King and Massengo is a great base for a dogged away win but not the ingredients to inspire a first home win in 9 months. 

4 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

I don’t expect us to dominate no, but I felt with that line-up we removed any possibility of really stamping our authority on the game. We set up to keep it tight and to try and nick something which allowed them to grow in confidence and therefore losing our home advantage. 

For us to win at home, I feel we need to believe in ourselves more and put teams on the back foot. IMO We can do that by playing with width and pace, Pring and Semenyo starting on either wing would be a good starting point. A midfield of James, King and Massengo is a great base for a dogged away win but not the ingredients to inspire a first home win in 9 months. 

I suspect you’ll see a couple of changes Wednesday night and we can reflect again then.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, brad blit said:

Bentley 

Vyner.   Kalas.  Atkinson.    JD

James.   HNM

Semenyo.  Weimann.     Pring

Wells

Play this team Wednesday and we’ll finally get that home win. Yesterday was solid and you can understand him keeping same team as they won previously, but the team just needs an injection of pace and some fresh legs. 

Iv seen the comments regarding JD at left back, but why move Pring back when he’s been playing so well further forward? Semenyo in for King seems quite obvious as King was quiet yesterday, and we need to give Wells a chance to shine as he looked really up for it in his brief cameo yesterday.

Overall it’s been a steady start with more better performances than last year already, and I’m actually looking forward to City games again - that’s a major plus considering everything over past 18months

This is so simplistic.

Change anyone who wasn’t great yesterday for someone else who didn’t play & then it will happen.

This is a bloody hard league, I watched Derby on Friday & they reminded me of us late last season, loads of willing kids but just overpowered. I bet Peterborough are noticing that trying to outscore teams doesn’t work, either.

Luton will come & battle, they did so last year & yesterday, when they were two down at Blackburn with less than 20 to go & yet still got a point with a 98th minute equaliser.

I do expect a change or two Wednesday but just thinking a tweak guarantees a win is wishful thinking.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

This is so simplistic.

Change anyone who wasn’t great yesterday for someone else who didn’t play & then it will happen.

This is a bloody hard league, I watched Derby on Friday & they reminded me of us late last season, loads of willing kids but just overpowered. I bet Peterborough are noticing that trying to outscore teams doesn’t work, either.

Luton will come & battle, they did so last year & yesterday, when they were two down at Blackburn with less than 20 to go & yet still got a point with a 98th minute equaliser.

I do expect a change or two Wednesday but just thinking a tweak guarantees a win is wishful thinking.

Not aimed at the poster you replied to but there is a view that:

Home game + attacking line-up = home win

As you say if only it was that simple.  Comes from the same camp as:

3 forwards = more goals

Its a bloody tough division.  I thought we started a bit sluggish (opening 5/10) then controlled the next 25 mins, before we got sloppy for last 10 of first half.  Second half we started brightly enough, then there was a spell of it being a bit like basketball, end to end, as the game stretched, and then we came in a bit strong at the end.

7A640D9D-D883-4586-87BE-9B503C52152F.jpeg.d2703370cc50ea2102260f5ddb6fbbc2.jpeg

the graphic above kinda reflect that….it shows how many passes we allowed PNE in 15 minute chunks.

I do actually think our left side (Baker and Pring) weren’t that cohesive yesterday.  Pring didn’t really get much change out of the very dirty Van den Berg, but I don’t think he helped himself by playing so wide, especially out of possession.  Baker a bit ponderous on the ball.

Weve been pretty creative from set-pieces this season, and I think yesterday’s lack of quality let us down….both from James and overuse of throw-ins.

AABC3EC8-5A20-4B94-995B-41B2AE74F56E.jpeg

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not aimed at the poster you replied to but there is a view that:

Home game + attacking line-up = home win

As you say if only it was that simple.  Comes from the same camp as:

3 forwards = more goals

Its a bloody tough division.  I thought we started a bit sluggish (opening 5/10) then controlled the next 25 mins, before we got sloppy for last 10 of first half.  Second half we started brightly enough, then there was a spell of it being a bit like basketball, end to end, as the game stretched, and then we came in a bit strong at the end.

7A640D9D-D883-4586-87BE-9B503C52152F.jpeg.d2703370cc50ea2102260f5ddb6fbbc2.jpeg

the graphic above kinda reflect that….it shows how many passes we allowed PNE in 15 minute chunks.

I do actually think our left side (Baker and Pring) weren’t that cohesive yesterday.  Pring didn’t really get much change out of the very dirty Van den Berg, but I don’t think he helped himself by playing so wide, especially out of possession.  Baker a bit ponderous on the ball.

Weve been pretty creative from set-pieces this season, and I think yesterday’s lack of quality let us down….both from James and overuse of throw-ins.

AABC3EC8-5A20-4B94-995B-41B2AE74F56E.jpeg

It's no surprise that Baker looked ponderous. We all know that he's not comfortable on the ball and won't cause the opposing full back problems. 

So from that perspective he's the defensive option and we suffer going forward when he's at left back.

I'm surprised he started and got 90 minutes. I think Pearson picked the wrong horse for this course.

You also mention that 3 forwards doesn't equal more goals, well we ended with 4! I don't get the substitutions tbh.

35 minutes ago, mozo said:

It's no surprise that Baker looked ponderous. We all know that he's not comfortable on the ball and won't cause the opposing full back problems. 

So from that perspective he's the defensive option and we suffer going forward when he's at left back.

I'm surprised he started and got 90 minutes. I think Pearson picked the wrong horse for this course.

You also mention that 3 forwards doesn't equal more goals, well we ended with 4! I don't get the substitutions tbh.

Assuming Dasilva comes back in, it’s gonna be interesting to see how he does.

I’m a big fan of Dasilva.  I don’t think he’s a poor defender either, but the one thing I’ve noticed is that it looks like he’s been asked to defend quite narrow / stay a bit closer to Atkinson (perhaps whilst he settles in).  Versus Swansea that meant Laird had loads of room when they sucked Pring infield and then switched it out right quickly.

Yesterday I noticed we squeezed their right / our left half of the pitch quite quickly, so they didn’t play down that side very often.  But conversely, I don’t think we did the same defending our right side.  We were a bit slow in getting our shape.  Unlike v Swansea where it was Laird (RWB) causing issues, yesterday it was Earl (LWB)…as we didn’t get quick pressure on the passer and left Vyner a bit exposed, especially in periods of play when the ball was being turned over.  Vyner did pretty well yesterday to deal with that.

So, I think generally we have a few teething problems to sort out, nothing major.  Preston played with WBs like Cardiff, but played them very differently.

Luton will more than likely play a back 4, and I think that might suit us.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Nah. No wins at home for that period if time is not petulantce, but pure negligence. You won't change my mind on that mate, I can understand the optimism and yes, it's not the shit show it was but it's still a bit shit. 

This is what I mean . No offence but you’re clueless. It’s impossible to go from abysmal to brilliant overnight . We’ll leave it at that 

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

This is so simplistic.

Not wishful thinking my friend, just trying to be positive and giving my opinion and those tweaks that hopefully will get us that illusive win ? 

• Robin 1
13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

You won't agree with me and as much as I’d like us to win at AG (as I only really do home games), I honestly couldn’t give a toss where we earn our points. We can draw our remaining 20 home games if we can pick up good away results, for all I care.

And…you won’t agree with this either, I drew a line under last season.  He gave some poor professionals every opportunity to show what they could do before he gave up on them and played the kids, risking them in a poor environment.  SL and MA ****** up, left him with a shit fest to start a rebuild.

In a league system that on average you play alternate home and away fixtures I don’t put too much stock in home runs and away runs…..overall runs are more important.  I’m a positive / optimistic guy and see it as two unbeaten, 4 points from 2, 7 points from 4.

I echo everything you state here Dave. If MA had done such a good job as he would have everyone believe we would have been left in a healthier state. The only positive point from his legacy is that generally expectations are lowered.

Yesterday's game is an example of what the majority of games in this league will be like, tight affairs with very little between the sides other than a decision here or a deflected shot there.

The main point is that Nige has us competing. You only have to look at our record to date to see that we're aiming at mid table which, considering the shambolic displays of last season, represents considerable progress in my view.

I am quite buoyed up with the performances as finally he's getting the players playing his way.

• Like 4

My first game in person since pre-covid Fulham and I have to admit I enjoyed it. There was far more intent from us than the last couple of seasons and I`m not unduly worried that we`re going to struggle if we carry that on. As others have said, it was two very similar sides who I suspect will finish within three places of each other somewhere between 9th and 16th.

For a 0-0 draw it was an entertaining game - I`ve seen far worse over the years.

• Like 2
On 11/09/2021 at 10:38, kit said:

If you have Southend then Eastleigh are there as well. Does the conference count as Senior?

East stirling don't exist, there is a team called east Stirlingshire but they come up against about 10 other teams with east or West in the name.

I think the question is out of date....

Yep East Stirlingshire still exists - they play in the Lowland League now - but they don’t come up against 10 other teams with East or West in the name - just East Kilbride ...

6 hours ago, Marco the red said:

I thought our performance lacked any creativity and virtually no passages of play that didn't end up with a hoof up the channels or up to Martin. I thought it was a poor watch and I think to call us "average" would have been kind.

Disappointed with the selection, I can understand Baker against Cardiff, but a Preston side with a back 3 makes  no sense to me, he looked like a rabbit in the headlights the moment he got over half way.

Pearson went ultra Conservative and ultra safety first IMO. Season of transition so I am not too critical but have to say I was disappointed and I think Atkinskn had the only clear cut chance, fortunate to get a point as Preston had some golden chances.

I didn't see the whole game but that's the impression I got too, especially regards those persistent floaty long balls down the centre and left.

Pearson was positively glowing with praise after the game which I can only assume is to preserve the positive mentality in the camp.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Marco the red said:

Put it this way, I went with my non city supporting mate - he thought Preston were the better team and created clear cut chances, we got into decent positions and did nothing with it. I thought it was a pretty poor game all round but wss disappointed with us not seemingly playing any decent football at all bar HNM

I think the performance (forget results) was much better vs Cardiff than vs Preston so it's natural to be a little disappointed. 

Equally, I'd be happy if we see an improved performance on Wednesday, irrespective of the result.

Edited by mozo
16 hours ago, Marco the red said:

Put it this way, I went with my non city supporting mate - he thought Preston were the better team and created clear cut chances, we got into decent positions and did nothing with it. I thought it was a pretty poor game all round but wss disappointed with us not seemingly playing any decent football at all bar HNM

I’d agree with that assessment.

Notice that Connor Wickham has now signed a short-term deal with PNE