IGNORED

Preston North End at home - match day thread

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

You won't agree with me and as much as I’d like us to win at AG (as I only really do home games), I honestly couldn’t give a toss where we earn our points. We can draw our remaining 20 home games if we can pick up good away results, for all I care.

And…you won’t agree with this either, I drew a line under last season.  He gave some poor professionals every opportunity to show what they could do before he gave up on them and played the kids, risking them in a poor environment.  SL and MA ****** up, left him with a shit fest to start a rebuild.

Would it be better to have won today but draw in Cardiff….both get you 4 points.  Yeah, you might gain a bit of psychological advantage back at AG, but you lose a bit of confidence of your ability to win away.  Swings and roundabouts.

In a league system that on average you play alternate home and away fixtures I don’t put too much stock in home runs and away runs…..overall runs are more important.  I’m a positive / optimistic guy and see it as two unbeaten, 4 points from 2, 7 points from 4.

I echo everything you state here Dave. If MA had done such a good job as he would have everyone believe we would have been left in a healthier state. The only positive point from his legacy is that generally expectations are lowered.

Yesterday's game is an example of what the majority of games in this league will be like, tight affairs with very little between the sides other than a decision here or a deflected shot there.

The main point is that Nige has us competing. You only have to look at our record to date to see that we're aiming at mid table which, considering the shambolic displays of last season, represents considerable progress in my view.

I am quite buoyed up with the performances as finally he's getting the players playing his way.

• Like 4

My first game in person since pre-covid Fulham and I have to admit I enjoyed it. There was far more intent from us than the last couple of seasons and I`m not unduly worried that we`re going to struggle if we carry that on. As others have said, it was two very similar sides who I suspect will finish within three places of each other somewhere between 9th and 16th.

For a 0-0 draw it was an entertaining game - I`ve seen far worse over the years.

• Like 2
On 11/09/2021 at 10:38, kit said:

If you have Southend then Eastleigh are there as well. Does the conference count as Senior?

East stirling don't exist, there is a team called east Stirlingshire but they come up against about 10 other teams with east or West in the name.

I think the question is out of date....

Yep East Stirlingshire still exists - they play in the Lowland League now - but they don’t come up against 10 other teams with East or West in the name - just East Kilbride ...

6 hours ago, Marco the red said:

I thought our performance lacked any creativity and virtually no passages of play that didn't end up with a hoof up the channels or up to Martin. I thought it was a poor watch and I think to call us "average" would have been kind.

Disappointed with the selection, I can understand Baker against Cardiff, but a Preston side with a back 3 makes  no sense to me, he looked like a rabbit in the headlights the moment he got over half way.

Pearson went ultra Conservative and ultra safety first IMO. Season of transition so I am not too critical but have to say I was disappointed and I think Atkinskn had the only clear cut chance, fortunate to get a point as Preston had some golden chances.

I didn't see the whole game but that's the impression I got too, especially regards those persistent floaty long balls down the centre and left.

Pearson was positively glowing with praise after the game which I can only assume is to preserve the positive mentality in the camp.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Marco the red said:

Put it this way, I went with my non city supporting mate - he thought Preston were the better team and created clear cut chances, we got into decent positions and did nothing with it. I thought it was a pretty poor game all round but wss disappointed with us not seemingly playing any decent football at all bar HNM

I think the performance (forget results) was much better vs Cardiff than vs Preston so it's natural to be a little disappointed. 

Equally, I'd be happy if we see an improved performance on Wednesday, irrespective of the result.

Edited by mozo
16 hours ago, Marco the red said:

Put it this way, I went with my non city supporting mate - he thought Preston were the better team and created clear cut chances, we got into decent positions and did nothing with it. I thought it was a pretty poor game all round but wss disappointed with us not seemingly playing any decent football at all bar HNM

I’d agree with that assessment.

Notice that Connor Wickham has now signed a short-term deal with PNE