IGNORED

Robins TV picture quality.

Antman

And it's not that difficult to run an XLR/Cat 5 cable from the computer to the main stand. Why the commentator has to rely on the video feed we get is daft. I now sync Radio Briz commentary to the City feed. The Cardiff game had Gary Owers describing what was going on around the ground and off the ball incidents that the video feed didn't show. Consequently, the commentator missed out.

No matter what their reasons are, it's amateurish at best.

I used to have to plan and then produce Outside Broadcasts from football stadiums to festivals on farmland. It's not difficult to get a commentator to broadcast whilst watching the game from a grandstand instead from inside a broom cupboard.

On 11/09/2021 at 15:32, Antman said:

surely BCFC can afford some decent cameras for the Robins TV coverage. the current cameras seem unable to cope with the contrast when there's sunlight and shadow.

Camera tech is pretty damn good these days, so lord knows what they're using. Betamax probably.

Worth remembering that the match pictures aren't provided by the home club but managed centrally by the EFL/their media partner. 

45 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Worth remembering that the match pictures aren't provided by the home club but managed centrally by the EFL/their media partner. 

BCFC left the EFL version (Premium TV) to go it alone with the help from U.W.E. a few years ago. 

6 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

BCFC left the EFL version (Premium TV) to go it alone with the help from U.W.E. a few years ago. 

No, the website is independent but the match pictures are still provided by the EFL via their media partner IMG (https://www.efl.com/news/2020/january/ifollow-revolution/ and https://www.img-studios.com/news/ifollow/) - the pictures you see on Robins TV will be the same ones as used by Quest and Sky Sports for their highlights and the visiting club for their streaming service (whether they use the EFL's iFollow or their own independent offering as we do).

12 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

Great article. Many thanks. Couldn't open the second link however.

I think our issue is where you wrote "the website is independent but the match pictures are still provided by the EFL via their media partner IMG." I think in BCFC's case the by should be replaced with to. 

The article mentions very briefly about those clubs that broke away from i-follow. City were one of those clubs as you know. We then made an agreement with UWE to provide students for camera work experience etc.. This was certainly the case in the first season as there was a City press release about it.

The live video feed also goes to IMG for them to use for Quest, Sky etc..

Maybe it has all changed now and EFL provide the camera crew as well? In which case, why go it alone and not be part of i-follow?

15 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

And it's not that difficult to run an XLR/Cat 5 cable from the computer to the main stand. Why the commentator has to rely on the video feed we get is daft. I now sync Radio Briz commentary to the City feed. The Cardiff game had Gary Owers describing what was going on around the ground and off the ball incidents that the video feed didn't show. Consequently, the commentator missed out.

I used to have to plan and then produce Outside Broadcasts from football stadiums to festivals on farmland. It's not difficult to get a commentator to broadcast whilst watching the game from a grandstand instead from inside a broom cupboard.

Do you have to pay again for the Radio Bristol commentary? 

50 minutes ago, Scrumpy Dziek said:

Do you have to pay again for the Radio Bristol commentary? 

Great question. I only have the radio version as an annual subscription. When I do pay for any Robins live tv, I let my laptop cast the match to the screen and let my android phone give me the radio commentary via a plug in speaker. You can still synchronise the video and audio feed by the pause button on either version.

From their FAQ....so yes!

scription allow access to live audio commentary when a match cannot be broadcast?

Yes, your live video subscription includes all audio streams. So, if a game is not available to watch live (e.g. because it has been picked for Sky TV broadcast), you can always listen to it.

18 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

I do something similar. The commentator gets right on my thrupenies so I always have the audio comms via Radio Brizz and Robins tv. I turn them up when something I fancy an opinion on happens and listen through ht to avoid the dirge on my tv screen. 

On the rare occasion I can sync up well I listen to the audio and turn the tv sound off. 

Note to BCFC on the days the beeb don’t have Owers summarizing then get him in to help the commentator and the bloke at half time seem like they know what they are talking about!!!

For me the picture quality is ok.  What gets my goat is the constant showing of replays when the game is in progress and continual shots of the two benches, again, when the game is in progress.  The commentary is risible but I can control that problem with the mute button  

On 11/09/2021 at 15:32, Antman said:

surely BCFC can afford some decent cameras for the Robins TV coverage. the current cameras seem unable to cope with the contrast when there's sunlight and shadow.

Camera tech is pretty damn good these days, so lord knows what they're using. Betamax probably.

Same company that does the PA system….:rofl2br:

2 hours ago, Malago said:

For me the picture quality is ok.  What gets my goat is the constant showing of replays when the game is in progress and continual shots of the two benches, again, when the game is in progress.  The commentary is risible but I can control that problem with the mute button  

It's crazy isn't it. They seem to wait for us to have a throw, show 3 replays of a shot, then a close up of the player who missed the shot, then a close up of the manager before going back to play. By then, we've lost the ball!

God only knows who's directing it. Toby whatshisname said they were trying to keep up with the EFL pictures as a corner to us was missed.

Surely he can just sit in the gantry and commentate in the traditional fashion? Why is he watching a stream?

3 minutes ago, Gazred said:

God only knows who's directing it. Toby whatshisname said they were trying to keep up with the EFL pictures as a corner to us was missed.

Surely he can just sit in the gantry and commentate in the traditional fashion? Why is he watching a stream?

I’m pretty sure he told me that he has to commentate from the stream (rather than the game) because of delays, e.g. he’d be shouting goal before the stream showed it.

Just now, Davefevs said:

I’m pretty sure he told me that he has to commentate from the stream (rather than the game) because of delays, e.g. he’d be shouting goal before the stream showed it.

Well that does make sense.

You'd think they'd be able to sync the two though.

Archived