IGNORED

The Long Throw

pl00peh91

What does everyone think of our new tactic? It seems like it works with the element of surprise (such as against Reading) but since then it’s been very easy to defend. I think we’d be better off with a shorter throw aiming to cross it instead. Not sure I like how it drags Kalas out of position either. What does everyone make of it?

Our delivery today was godamn awful from everywhere. Matt James clipping corners to the first man to clear was utter rubbish. I can not remember more than one decent ball in from anywhere, thus chucking one in occasionally is as good as anything we had across the team this afternoon and unless there is improvement then get used to it!!

3 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Our delivery today was godamn awful from everywhere. Matt James clipping corners to the first man to clear was utter rubbish. I can not remember more than one decent ball in from anywhere, thus chucking one in occasionally is as good as anything we had across the team this afternoon and unless there is improvement then get used to it!!

Thought Vyner was most likely to play a decent cross today, didn’t really come to much, but at least looked vaguely dangerous, poor overall though. 

1 minute ago, redsince1994 said:

I like a long throw but why do it every single time. Way too predictable.

Mix it up a bit, threaten long then go short so the box is already packed for a cross, sometimes play it quick and keep the defenders guessing.

There was one in the second half where Kalas threw it to Semenyo who was just outside the box, nothing came of it but I liked that he tried it.

3 minutes ago, pl00peh91 said:

There was one in the second half where Kalas threw it to Semenyo who was just outside the box, nothing came of it but I liked that he tried it.

Yeah definitely want to see that more. Despite nothing coming of it the defence looked far more worried than they had from all but one of the long throws.

7 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Long throws are just playing the percentages, nothing more to it than that. Throw the ball into the box 100 times you might get 3 goals out of it.

Saying teams know what to expect is a stupid comment to make. All your hoping for is a ball to bounce in your favour.

So are corners any different? A player picks out another player (or a space) and aims the ball towards it.

1 hour ago, Laner said:

So are corners any different? A player picks out another player (or a space) and aims the ball towards it.

You could argue there are more routines to work on with corners but yeah pretty much the same, playing the percentages.

You wouldn’t find people saying corners are pointless and not to take them. In fact people moan when corners aren’t lumped into the big. Why not do it with throw ins?

16 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

You could argue there are more routines to work on with corners but yeah pretty much the same, playing the percentages.

You wouldn’t find people saying corners are pointless and not to take them. In fact people moan when corners aren’t lumped into the big. Why not do it with throw ins?

I feel like the long throws have a higher (loopier?) trajectory which makes it easier for the CB to defend, whereas a well taken corner has more pace and a lower trajectory, making them easier to attack at goal. But, having said that, I’ve been watching city for years and I can count the number of goals I can remember we have scored from corners on one hand so maybe we are just as bad at both!

3 minutes ago, pl00peh91 said:

I feel like the long throws have a higher (loopier?) trajectory which makes it easier for the CB to defend, whereas a well taken corner has more pace and a lower trajectory, making them easier to attack at goal. But, having said that, I’ve been watching city for years and I can count the number of goals I can remember we have scored from corners on one hand so maybe we are just as bad at both!

I think you're forgetting our promotion season. Freeman corner Flint goal. 

2 minutes ago, pl00peh91 said:

Must have big old hands. Flinty done at least 10, in one season. 

Ctrl C, Ctrl V

long throws are usually to try and win second balls and create chances from chaos, unless you have a Magnússon/Delap they’re unlikely for first phase attempts. 

As for going short and crossing, on average crossing is the least effective form of creating chances 

Archived