IGNORED

The Long Throw

pl00peh91

Became laughable in the end when Kalas launched it into the air and couldn’t beat the first man, several times yesterday. 

Bin it off and let’s mix it up a bit. All that time wasted for then our CBs to be out of a position. 

The added on time in both half’s was a joke from the amount of time we actually wasted. 

15 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Ctrl C, Ctrl V

long throws are usually to try and win second balls and create chances from chaos, unless you have a Magnússon/Delap they’re unlikely for first phase attempts. 

As for going short and crossing, on average crossing is the least effective form of creating chances 

There is a variable here. If team A has an outlier e.g Flint its figures will improve. If it has a rare high performing dead ball specilalist its efficency will improve futher but the general standard is no its not. Going short and crossing is more effective than corners/long throws. Going short and playing a pattern is more effective still. 

6 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

There is a variable here. If team A has an outlier e.g Flint its figures will improve. If it has a rare high performing dead ball specilalist its efficency will improve futher but the general standard is no its not. Going short and crossing is more effective than corners/long throws. Going short and playing a pattern is more effective still. 

Exactly, and against Cardiff and Preston there was little / no height (not just height, but you know what I mean) advantage.  There was against Reading.  Got to be a horses for courses plan.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Exactly, and against Cardiff and Preston there was little / no height (not just height, but you know what I mean) advantage.  There was against Reading.  Got to be a horses for courses plan.

I don't get to watch much of City now, so can't have much of an opinion but an observation is the Kalas throw may be long within this squad but it looks to be dropping at thirty five metres = It isn't that long. Its an asset but not as significant as it would be if he had three or four metres more range.

58 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

I don't get to watch much of City now, so can't have much of an opinion but an observation is the Kalas throw may be long within this squad but it looks to be dropping at thirty five metres = It isn't that long. Its an asset but not as significant as it would be if he had three or four metres more range.

I’d say Vyner’s long throw is better, a bit flatter too.  You are right, Kalas’s tends to drop.

21 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

It’s become predictable. Also frustrated me when we played the short corner. And our corners were very poor 

I have to say, the feebleness of most of our set pieces is one slight cause for disappointment with the Pearson regime.

We had 8 corners yesterday, and I reckon more than half failed to clear the first defender.

Maybe this is something that will improve as our season goes on. :dunno:

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I have to say, the feebleness of most of our set pieces is one slight cause for disappointment with the Pearson regime.

We had 8 corners yesterday, and I reckon more than half failed to clear the first defender.

Our set pieces have been much improved imho up until yesterday.  James’s delivery until yesterday has been top notch….yesterday it was crap (he’s allowed an off day).  We have the joint 4th set piece goals this season with three.  I think our poor delivery yesterday really let us down in terms of taking the points.

8 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Given James's experience you expect far better.

I don't think Kalas' long throws are ever going to be particularly productive for many of the reasons given on this thread.

Also don't believe throw ins have ever been all that well thought out right across football.

Klopp and Liverpool have done something about it by employing a throw in coach and the results have been amazing.

Here's a link to a story in the Grauniad:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/sep/23/liverpool-throw-in-coach-thomas-gronnemark-klopp

Must be worth thinking about....

His throws are ok but he and others need to mix it a bit. When he throws, those he's aiming towards need to make sure they can get on the end of it. On Saturday a number of throws were not long enough. So our forwards need to get forward to meet the ball. Also Kalas can also aim slightly towards the penalty spot to create a different angle. Just mix it.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Kalas is no Magnússon.

We scored from one Kalas long throw and therefore believe it to be a weapon but as others have said we need to be more cunning with its employment.

Magnússon’s throws had distance and power and in one match, I can’t remember the opposition, he just bombarded them.

We scored two against Leeds at Elland Road from his throws, still managed to blow it in the second half though!!

Archived