IGNORED

Best pubs in Bristol

Jerseybean

13 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

The Nova Scotia, The Cornubia and The Highbury Vaults are all very worthy of their recommendations. Plus the Grain Barge for the top deck in the sun.

I'd add, in no particular order, The Quinton House, The Channings Hotel, The Lansdown, The Victoria (next to the open air pool), all in Clifton, The Hope & Anchor and The Bag of Nails, Jacob's Wells, and The Shakespeare, Prince Street.

All traditional pubs which have retained their character and serve good quality real ale.

A bit further afield I like the Angel Inn and The Miners Rest, Long Ashton, and, to my surprise, the much renovated Plough, Abbot's Leigh.

I also feel at home in all the pubs I've been to in Clevedon on my regular visits.

Edited by Nogbad the Bad
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The Nova Scotia, The Cornubia and The Highbury Vaults are all very worthy of their recommendations. Plus the Grain Barge for the top deck in the sun.

I'd add, in no particular order, The Quinton House, The Channings Hotel, The Lansdown, The Victoria (next to the open air pool), all in Clifton, The Hope & Anchor and The Bag of Nails, Jacob's Wells, and The Shakespeare, Prince Street.

All traditional pubs which have retained their character and serve good quality real ale.

A bit further afield I like the Angel Inn and The Miners Rest, Long Ashton, and, to my surprise, the much renovated Plough, Abbot's Leigh.

I also feel at home in all the pubs I've been to in Clevedon on my regular visits.

Reading that made me feel very nostalgic, as a Long Ashton lad the village pubs have a special place in my memory, although my first village drinking haunt ‘The Robin Hood’ is no longer. 

25 minutes ago, Gakoe said:

Yes, made me feel quite homesick reading this. Can't believe the Orchard isn't in there. Not been in for a long time but I sure miss a pint of CV and a cheese n onion doorstep. 

I think the Orchard is if you look closely (no picture though).  My favourite pre-match boozer.

• Like 1

On 12/09/2021 at 09:21, Nogbad the Bad said:

:blink: Meant The George not The Plough, of course.

On 12/09/2021 at 14:32, Vespa Red said:

I think the Orchard is if you look closely (no picture though).  My favourite pre-match boozer.

One of a vanishing few to still serve their beer straight from barrels behind the bar.

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

:blink: Meant The George not The Plough, of course.

One of a vanishing few to still serve their beer straight from barrels behind the bar.

I can remember when the Volley did that. When it was the Volley of course with the bar on the other side and flagstone floors rather than the plastic pub it's become. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Some good ones already mentioned. 

I've varied my matchday drinking routine and now vary my route to AG, sometimes taking in the Portwall Tavern and Golden Guinea. 

Glad to see the Eldon House recommended. Back in the day when I had a gf in Clifton, the "El" was our local. Fabulous place.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

I've varied my matchday drinking routine and now vary my route to AG, sometimes taking in the Portwall Tavern and Golden Guinea. 

Glad to see the Eldon House recommended. Back in the day when I had a gf in Clifton, the "El" was our local. Fabulous place.

I used to go to the Eldon in the early 80's.

Good old pub then, side bar hatch to separate dartboard area, small bar billiard room, lots of character.

Gather it's been knocked through and poshed up a bit these days.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I used to go to the Eldon in the early 80's.

Good old pub then, side bar hatch to separate dartboard area, small bar billiard room, lots of character.

Gather it's been knocked through and poshed up a bit these days.

A bit posher, but still the same sort of feel to it.

Still - when I popped in there a couple of years back - many of the characters I knew back in the early 90s.

Bar billiard room has gone though. 

19 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Great jukebox

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Yes, i reckon the crown and anchor shut early 90s.

My grandad used to drink in one called the swansea arms at the start of the portway.

I remember a few lock-ins at the Crown and Anchor, the unassuming (v. quiet) landlord didn't announce it in any way, it was a pleasant surprise on your first visit to find he just kept serving.

Was the Swansea Arms one of the pubs lost when a number of roads in Hotwells were demolished to make way for the Cumberland Basin?

• Thanks 1

A mention for the Merchants Arms in Hotwells, spent a very pleasant evening there last night, great little pub.

Good selection of well kept real ales and very friendly regulars and bar staff..

Sat outside much of the time and fortunately no cars hurtled into the front of the pub, as happened a few years ago.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Spot on nogbad, many of the people who lived in the houses, got relocated to lawrence weston.

Was there a book, the lost pubs of bristol?

If there isnt there should be.

Would love to see some pictures of that pub.

I can picture it for you.

Jukebox just by the door on the left as you went in, (I used to put 'One for the Bristol City' on it) big seating area on both sides before you got to the bar which was facing right in front of you about 20ft in as you entered.

Tables by the windows and more seating to the left hand side of the bar which extended in to L-shape, leading you to a dartboard area at the back.

Dimly lit, increasingly as the night wore on, and the lock in commenced.

Landlord, very humble, with fairly thick sandy/grey hair, a similar moustache, and glasses.

There you go. ;)?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ecko said:

Anybody remember the The Mont in Montpelier? 

Yeh i do. Pretty scabby but always a party going on! Friend rented one of the flats it got turned into, bit odd sitting in there having known it before.

Old E, Cadbury, Beaufort. Some interesting pubs around Montpelier. I used to live opposite the Beaufort for a few years. I'll never miss the Tuesday 7am bottle recycling collections. that's for sure.