IGNORED

Best pubs in Bristol

Jerseybean

9 hours ago, Ecko said:

Anybody remember the The Mont in Montpelier? 

Yep, had some good nights in the Mont and Cadbury House back in late 80s early 90s. I remember a chaotic Nov 5th fireworks display in the garden (can't remember which one) where most of the fireworks somehow shot into the crowd!! Don't think anyone was injured but people were diving for cover everywhere!

Sounds like Nogbad is the man to write a book about Bristol pubs, great knowledge and I’m sure a lot of research done over the years.

I used to live near Cotham Porter Stores, a pub I could easily get very Merry in even if I just popped in for a quick one. I don’t suppose it’s there anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

Sounds like Nogbad is the man to write a book about Bristol pubs, great knowledge and I’m sure a lot of research done over the years.

I used to live near Cotham Porter Stores, a pub I could easily get very Merry in even if I just popped in for a quick one. I don’t suppose it’s there anymore.

Started off my stag night pub crawl from the Cotham Porter Stores in the 80's.

It's still going strong, or was before lockdown.

Went to a pub quiz there about 2 years ago.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Started off my stag night pub crawl from the Cotham Porter Stores in the 80's.

It's still going strong, or was before lockdown.

Went to a pub quiz there about 2 years ago.

Good to hear it’s still going?

I think I’d have to choose my drink wisely if I was starting a stag do in there

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Not so hidden to me Jb, included in my original list on P1.

'I'd add, in no particular order, The Quinton House, The Channings Hotel, The Lansdown, The Victoria (next to the open air pool), all in Clifton,' :yes:?

• Like 2

Since about 1990, myself and two friends have done detailed ‘research’ in Bristol (and surrounding areas) pubs - cycling to pubs usually on a Friday evening.
It was selfless in the respect we wanted to find nice pubs with real ale - to take our wives to should we ever ask them to join us..

We have a list (nothing much more than that) of about 450 pubs and bars we’ve been into plus probably a list of about 100 we immediately walked back out off upon seeing the likes of keg John Smiths etc etc. 

Many a night we would visit 3 or 4 pubs testing the beer, eventually learning the lesson to go to the pubs closest to home later on ?.

The Bristol to Bath cycle track was very useful as it kept us out of any traffic and therefore safe. 

Regards the best pub? It’s very subjective regards what condition the beer was like that night, if the landlord changes so does the pub etc etc. 

Some pubs - mostly the ones mentioned in previous posts above have always been very good and I hope to continue to support them all as I wobble around on my bike at 66 years of age ?

• Like 3

On 23/09/2021 at 16:03, TomF said:

Did anyone ever venture in the Duke of Sussex in St Pauls?  I always remember being stuck at the traffic lights there and thinking it looks like someones living room! 

I see its sadly gone the way of many others since - https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/closed-down-bristol-pub-converted-1906023

Went in there many years ago during a St Pauls carnival, it WAS like someone's living room 

Edited by southside

2 hours ago, Red DNA said:

Since about 1990, myself and two friends have done detailed ‘research’ in Bristol (and surrounding areas) pubs - cycling to pubs usually on a Friday evening.
It was selfless in the respect we wanted to find nice pubs with real ale - to take our wives to should we ever ask them to join us..

We have a list (nothing much more than that) of about 450 pubs and bars we’ve been into plus probably a list of about 100 we immediately walked back out off upon seeing the likes of keg John Smiths etc etc. 

Many a night we would visit 3 or 4 pubs testing the beer, eventually learning the lesson to go to the pubs closest to home later on ?.

The Bristol to Bath cycle track was very useful as it kept us out of any traffic and therefore safe. 

Regards the best pub? It’s very subjective regards what condition the beer was like that night, if the landlord changes so does the pub etc etc. 

Some pubs - mostly the ones mentioned in previous posts above have always been very good and I hope to continue to support them all as I wobble around on my bike at 66 years of age ?

A wise decision, an absolutely awful beer.

Sam Smith, however, was a lovely pint, and, back in the day, I enjoyed many of them in St. Nicholas market.

Do you know whether it is still sold (on draught) in Bristol, as I have never been able to find it on my trips back home?

Perhaps the pubs that used to sell it have been banished due to swearing ?

5 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Sam Smith, however, was a lovely pint, and, back in the day, I enjoyed many of them in St. Nicholas market.

Do you know whether it is still sold (on draught) in Bristol, as I have never been able to find it on my trips back home?

I’ve not seen Sam Smiths in a very long time around here, I think I last saw it in London a short while ago and it was quite a surprise to see it!

First time I think I had it was in a pub we used to frequent on the way to home matches. I think it was called The Ship (I’ll check on that lost pubs website) and was on York Road somewhere. 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Yes, there was a pub on york road.

Used to work with a bloke used to drink there.

He told me was a bikers, pub and all the bikes used to be parked outside.

One pub, i used to go in now and again after a away game, was the blarney stone, in st werburghs.

That went i dunno, at least ten years ago.

The pub on York Rd was The Cutter if I remember rightly

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

The King William in King Street is a Sam Smith pub.

Not that it affects the taste of the beer, but apparently they are an awful company to work for. They make a big deal of still being family-run, but unfortunately the family that run it are arseholes. 

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Not that it affects the taste of the beer, but apparently they are an awful company to work for. They make a big deal of still being family-run, but unfortunately the family that run it are arseholes. 

Re. the family, I mentioned swearing in my post, and I remember reading some time ago that the owner was prone to turning up in his pubs anonymously and unannounced to listen out for swearing behind the bar.

I can’t remember the details, but I am pretty sure there were some draconian punishments for guilty pubs.

1 minute ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Re. the family, I mentioned swearing in my post, and I remember reading some time ago that the owner was prone to turning up in his pubs anonymously and unannounced to listen out for swearing behind the bar.

I can’t remember the details, but I am pretty sure there were some draconian punishments for guilty pubs.

Yep. Humphrey Smith. Theoretically mobile phones are also banned, but they don't seem to enforce that.

To give you a story about Humphrey Smith. In a storm in 2015, the bridge in Tadcaster - where the brewery is based - collapsed. It cut both sides of the town off from each other.  The town council asked Humphrey Smith if a temporary pontoon bridge could be erected from the north bank (on brewery land) to the south bank (which was part of his estate).  Smith said no "I'm in no obligation to help".  As a result, for two years north Tadcastrians who wanted to go the doctors or south Tadcastrians who wanted to go to the local shops faced a 12-mile journey. They built a new bridge where the old one was in 2017. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Bristol Live is an awful website, but they did a good review recently of the King William Alehouse.

The highlight was this part:

It’s the pub equivalent of seeing your tweed-suited old uncle turn up for the hip hop and grime night at your favourite club. It’s all a bit awkward and past its best.

?

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink/bristol-city-centre-pub-music-5892580

• Haha 3

On 29/09/2021 at 10:24, Red-Robbo said:

17 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

Bristol Live is an awful website, but they did a good review recently of the King William Alehouse.

The highlight was this part:

It’s the pub equivalent of seeing your tweed-suited old uncle turn up for the hip hop and grime night at your favourite club. It’s all a bit awkward and past its best.

?

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink/bristol-city-centre-pub-music-5892580

What a coincidence.

Out of interest @Red-Robbo, did you know that the King William was a Sam Smith pub, or did you read the Bristol Live article?

42 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

What a coincidence.

Out of interest @Red-Robbo, did you know that the King William was a Sam Smith pub, or did you read the Bristol Live article?

I've been there on-and-off over the years, before it even was Sam Smiths.  It used to be quite lively back then.

Last time I was there was after the recent Friday night game. A drink in King Street me and my buds did agree, but by the time we got there everywhere was jam-packed with stewwwwdents and other shouty types and only the King Bill offered the opportunity to sit down without queueing. 

It's a bit lacking in atmosphere and I don't like the bitter they brew, but the Pilsner and the Organic Lager they brew is acceptable.  A word of warning though, the Organic Lager is £6.35 a pint. ?

• Confused 1

While we’re talking about pubs, does anyone know if any still sell Thatchers Dry?

It seems to have disappeared from the stadium completely now so I wonder if it’s gone forever everywhere.

Im not the only one who found it the ideal daytime cider, nice and dry, easy drinking, not too strong, very refreshing.

5 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

While we’re talking about pubs, does anyone know if any still sell Thatchers Dry?

It seems to have disappeared from the stadium completely now so I wonder if it’s gone forever everywhere.

Im not the only one who found it the ideal daytime cider, nice and dry, easy drinking, not too strong, very refreshing.

I may be wrong, but I think they renamed it "Stan's".

On 26/09/2021 at 12:13, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not so hidden to me Jb, included in my original list on P1.

'I'd add, in no particular order, The Quinton House, The Channings Hotel, The Lansdown, The Victoria (next to the open air pool), all in Clifton,' :yes:?

Beaufort Arms in Clifton also a very friendly local (proper) pub....

On 23/09/2021 at 07:55, ralphindevon said:

Used to work for a couple of evenings a week there when I first moved up to Bristol many many many years ago. An interesting introduction to bar work as basically I had to run the place on my own of an evening as a young 20 year old who had never worked behind a bar before. Frank Sinatra at the end of the night on the juke box to make sure regulars knew it was time to go. Getting told off for serving a ‘dockers half’. Loved it. Although a Cheddar Valley (derv in those days - not the soft stuff it is now!) drinking contest went quite badly one Saturday afternoon! Sunday cricket team as well. Bloody loved it. 

Edited by lenred
  • Like 1