IGNORED

Best pubs in Bristol

Jerseybean

4 hours ago, Rob k said:

The 002 is about 400m from my house - The times I’ve been in there it’s been alright to be fair 

I think it is now called the Abbotswood inn. I should of been a bit more honest on my previous post about the 002. I remember back in 1983 I met a Yate girl in the south of France. When we got back from France I met her at the 002. Little did I know at the time she was also engaged to one of the regulars at the pub.

I had a bit of a dust up and scrap and wow it bloody hurt. There was her fiance and two of his mates.

Any way we are now married and been married for 37 years and live in OZ. 

Every time we go back I make sure I have a pint in the 002. All pubs re great in the UK. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, City oz said:

I think it is now called the Abbotswood inn. I should of been a bit more honest on my previous post about the 002. I remember back in 1983 I met a Yate girl in the south of France. When we got back from France I met her at the 002. Little did I know at the time she was also engaged to one of the regulars at the pub.

I had a bit of a dust up and scrap and wow it bloody hurt. There was her fiance and two of his mates.

Any way we are now married and been married for 37 years and live in OZ. 

Every time we go back I make sure I have a pint in the 002. All pubs re great in the UK. 

Fair play. Was she worth taking a beating for?!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Haven't been down King St for ages TBF but there was always plenty of opportunities for a decent night out, the Old Duke is a cracker mind. I remember Bar Med in the late 90s/early 2000s was hugely popular, now the King Street Brewhouse, used to have some cracking works booze cruises ending up there in the summer. 

Remember the old booze cruises in the 80's.

Started at the Pump House, on to the Plume of Feathers, over the road to the Mardyke or/and Spring Gardens, back to the The Nova, then the (at he time fairly new) Cottage, ending up at The Ostrich. Actually, maybe not the right order but it was those pubs, perhaps the Shakespeare too.

We used to do an occasional Friday night Hotwells Road crawl.

Met up at the Nova Scotia, then on to the Pump House, Rose of Denmark, Adam & Eve, Spring Gardens, Mardyke, Plume of Feathers, Crown & Anchor, American Eagle, Myrtle Tree, finishing at the Three Tuns.

Pissed as parrots and happy as Larry by the end of it, didn't feel quite so chirpy in the morning, but we'd still all meet up at the Plume again on the Saturday lunchtime for a hair of the dog or 2 before going on to the Gate!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ah the ‘dockers half’, brings back exceedingly happy memories of the ‘Thelma half’ in the Three Tuns, Lichfield Street when I was in Tamworth throughout the 1980’s. If she took a shine to you, you’d hand this barmaid a glass with the merest hint of an alcoholic beverage at the bottom, ask for a ‘quick half’ and get the glass refilled. 

Strange isn’t it? People have done amazing things in their lives that have changed the world…. but all you need to attain legend status in a few blokes minds is to pull generous half pints. 

I digress, the Post Office Tavern was once ok in W-O-T, few of the Clifton ones decent, the likes of The Plough and others in surrounding villages north west of Bristol were good once we got our wheels.  Seem to recall that I spent most of  y teenage years though in Clubs like the fire-trap known as the Dug Out, off Park Street either that, or mid week, Tiffany’s. 

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

On 06/10/2021 at 20:21, Club and Country said:

Apologies if already mentioned, but the Cornubia is a great boozer

sadly not been for a few years so hope all is still well there

It is indeed still there - and flourishing. Lots of extra outside seating (Covid +) and planting around to green it up in what is a concrete jungle. 
Many a Friday night back in the 90’s myself and two cycling friends were the only ones in there, like to think we got it through its darkest days ?

The Victoria in Chock Lane, Westbury in Trym, was always a good boozer for a couple of pints most lunchtimes whilst ‘working’ at BAe on the F1-11’s during the 80’s. 
Good to see it’s still open, I think I might just pop over there one day soon to check it out ??

• Like 1