IGNORED

Unwanted home record extended but we ARE getting better [FBC Podcast]

headhunter

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Think a combination of factors are seeing our gates fall;

There are still some not confident (or if they have a serious underlying health condition) of going as a result of the pandemic, especially amongst the 50+ age group.

It is (usually, not in the case of Luton & Preston) too expensive & as we will probably see on Wednesday, the impact of the Sky red button is not insignificant midweek.

As for the style, I am not sure what Pearson is expected to do, if he believes (as I do) a more expansive game would see us gain fewer points then he’s not going there.

All about degrees though, as I couldn’t see say, Dasilva in for Baker or Semenyo/Scott for King is quite the same as gung ho football.

I was a bit surprised first game was 20k, with holidays (yeah, yeah, I know it doesn’t equate to bums on seats), Covid, Covid finances, etc, but having seen those numbers was surprised Saturday was just under £18k.

Think Wednesday could be less again, albeit not by much.

I find it a bit funny that in the past when playing a perceived attacking line-up we haven’t always produced attacking football.  Surely it must!  Ok I jest.  As you say, if Nige thinks we will get more points playing this way rather than another, then that’s his decision.

Lets not forget that many fans bemoan 1 up top as defensive (not me), so surely they are happy we are now playing two?  Is that not more adventurous (attacking)?  There’s a compromise to doing that in some respects.

For me it’s about trying to be as cohesive as possible, whatever style we play with.  We are a bit more direct this season, but purposeful with it.  We are the third best team at recovering the ball in the opponent’s third, behind, guess who….West Brom and Barnsley.  We haven’t done quite enough with those opportunities though.  It isn’t as pretty as Brentford and Norwich, but it will probably get us more results over the season.  I’m all for that.

He might make some changes on Wednesday, they might feel more attacking in terms of personnel. It may end up in a more attacking display and a win, but there are no guarantees!

But I most definitely don’t buy we are playing a LB / LWB in Pring on LM / LW and therefore it’s defensive.  He has been one of our biggest attacking threats since he came into the side.

However I can definitely see why playing Baker instead of Dasilva is seen as such.  That’s a fair argument in my book…because you do know you’re gonna get less ball-playing capability with Baker.

At the end of the day, football is a simple game, if enough of our players play better than their counterparts, we will win more than we lose.

Archived