IGNORED

Team Vs Luton

liamhealeybcfc96

3 minutes ago, brad blit said:

I just hope the only time we see Baker at left back again is in a real emergency. If we are going to persevere with 4232/433 we need full backs comfortable with bringing the ball out and offer some attacking attempt- being able to generally pass the ball to another City player would be a start ?  Hes a great centre back but not a full back! 

4 central defenders at home to Preston was pretty negative. 

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think your suggestion will be popular amongst many on here….I don’t disagree either.

My only thought is whether Semenyo has pushed himself in front of Scott, now he’s back from injury?  His sub appearances seem to suggest so.

It seems as though you’re right about Semenyo being ahead of Scott, but I hope you’re wrong. Semenyo has pace, but also the headless chicken syndrome. Scott, although he tends to slow the play down a bit, has a brain and can create more 

1 minute ago, Super said:

4 central defenders at home to Preston was pretty negative. 

Nonsense.

Vyner is a versatile defender who has played at FB and CB but Nige wants him to pin down one position -RB. He’ll almost certainly start there from now on.

Nige rates NB has seen that he’s is also versatile and asked him if he could play at LB and has now played him there twice and done pretty well and could well make that position his own. Assuming he’s fit on Wednesday he’ll start there again. JD was brought on to offer more of a threat down the left 

I can’t see any changes for Luton assuming everyone is available.

Its been quite some time since we’ve had a settled side with LJ chopping and changing the line up pretty much every game. The last manager that kept a settled side was Danny Wilson.

21 minutes ago, brad blit said:

I just hope the only time we see Baker at left back again is in a real emergency. If we are going to persevere with 4232/433 we need full backs comfortable with bringing the ball out and offer some attacking attempt- being able to generally pass the ball to another City player would be a start ?  Hes a great centre back but not a full back! 

Totally agree. Would like to see a bit more creativity in midfield as well- possibly a start for Palmer?

35 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think it’s slightly premature to judge him on this season. He has only made four starts after a year out with serious injury. And it is only one of those that he really had a bad game. He’s certainly yet to recapture his best form but that is not unusual after serious injury. I’d have no problem at all with him starting if NP chooses to pick him. 

Sorry was not not judging him on only this year, I don't think defensively he is big enough or good enough but like him going forward

14 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

It seems as though you’re right about Semenyo being ahead of Scott, but I hope you’re wrong. Semenyo has pace, but also the headless chicken syndrome. Scott, although he tends to slow the play down a bit, has a brain and can create more 

I hope it’s just a case of Semenyo is more of an impact player hence perfect sub material.  But I think Scott gives us more technical ability and I think is better for our strikers movement.  I’d go Scott over Semenyo on Wednesday if Massengo moves back into the centre.

26 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Nonsense.

Vyner is a versatile defender who has played at FB and CB but Nige wants him to pin down one position -RB. He’ll almost certainly start there from now on.

Nige rates NB has seen that he’s is also versatile and asked him if he could play at LB and has now played him there twice and done pretty well and could well make that position his own. Assuming he’s fit on Wednesday he’ll start there again. JD was brought on to offer more of a threat down the left 

Its been quite some time since we’ve had a settled side with LJ chopping and changing the line up pretty much every game. The last manager that kept a settled side was Danny Wilson.

Especially at home your full backs need to get forward Baker and Vyner are good defenders but are lacking on the attacking side. You could probably get away with playing one but both of them doesn't work at home.

22 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I hope it’s just a case of Semenyo is more of an impact player hence perfect sub material.  But I think Scott gives us more technical ability and I think is better for our strikers movement.  I’d go Scott over Semenyo on Wednesday if Massengo moves back into the centre.

I think, as a starter Scott is way ahead of Semenyo, not just for the reasons you both mention.
IMO Scott has a better all round game, he is more of a "footballer" and more of a team player than AS. Semenyo has one main asset and that is when he runs at teams, he needs to work on team play and positioning for me. There is also a question mark over final ball/ delivery. If he does start, I would suggest it would be in away games when his pace and running may help on the break. My only criticism of Scott has been he hesitates when he's had a shooting chance. 

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Nonsense.

Obviously forgot the Cotterill promotion season then. Very settled side that one.

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think your suggestion will be popular amongst many on here….I don’t disagree either.

My only thought is whether Semenyo has pushed himself in front of Scott, now he’s back from injury?  His sub appearances seem to suggest so.

I think I would be tempted to try Scott more central as a sub I think Semenyo has better defensive qualities, though Scott has those forward qualities that are difficult to dismiss.  Hard ain't it. 

6 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

NP can do what he wants and indeed he will do. I am loving the optimism that has run strong through this forum since NP arrived despite the worst run imaginable (at home). And now for Luton, he is excused and even encouraged to 'rotate' 2,3,4 players; many people came on here in the past 5 years and made comments like "the coach doesnt know his best 11" when rotation was a policy. I love it, absolutley love it;

Keep up the Nige optimism and see ya'll on Wednesday for another exciting episode of New Found Optimism.

Why isn’t there a ? reaction ?

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I am very aware that Massengo is getting a lot of praise for his performances and rightly so. He is very good with his close control, getting a foot in and getting out of tight situations which is eye catching, however he under hits passes way to often and is susceptible to what we used to call 'hospital balls'

Semenyo lacks one thing. which is costing him starts. He simply can not shoot consistently. If he gets to grips with that, he could be our Jamie Vardy, but its down to him.

Scott I like a lot. he plays without fear and beats people like a proper outside forward. At 18 he will bulk up, which is obviously needed, however I would play him as much as I could reasonably under the current circumstances.

Bentley

Tanner     Atkinson     Kalas     Baker

James     

Massengo     Palmer     ODowda

Martin      Weimann

2 hours ago, REDOXO said:

I am very aware that Massengo is getting a lot of praise for his performances and rightly so. He is very good with his close control, getting a foot in and getting out of tight situations which is eye catching, however he under hits passes way to often and is susceptible to what we used to call 'hospital balls'

Semenyo lacks one thing. which is costing him starts. He simply can not shoot consistently. If he gets to grips with that, he could be our Jamie Vardy, but its down to him.

Scott I like a lot. he plays without fear and beats people like a proper outside forward. At 18 he will bulk up, which is obviously needed, however I would play him as much as I could reasonably under the current circumstances.

Out of interest, did you call 20Man on Saturday to make the point about Massengo?  Generally I think he passes the ball at a lovely pace, nice and crisp.

Semenyo lacks more than one thing (!!!) but he is different to anything else we have.

I would play Scott a fair bit too.  At times it would be much easier if we were allowed to pick 13 or 14!!!

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Out of interest, did you call 20Man on Saturday to make the point about Massengo?  Generally I think he passes the ball at a lovely pace, nice and crisp.

Semenyo lacks more than one thing (!!!) but he is different to anything else we have.

I would play Scott a fair bit too.  At times it would be much easier if we were allowed to pick 13 or 14!!!

I don't even think that would have helped last season.

9 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Interesting stuff. Optimism is rooted in something to get excited about. For my tuppence, we have got shot of much of what can only be described as the deadwood from the LJ period. 

We are now playing players that have come through our academy such as Scott Pring Janneh Conway etc etc. we have a defense that is by and large solid and we have bought in a right back and center back at a very young age one of whom is starting. 

Rotation particularly under LJ was a a factor of constant change of tactics and the man himself constantly pitting his witts against the opposite manager, eventually disappearing up his own ass. I always remember a bloke tweeted into Twentyman with the words GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF EINSTEIN LEE. LJ managed to confuse everyone, supporters, players, journos himself alike and SL had to back his man that he so publicly installed. Thus we were all screwed due to not sticking to a style or believing in a way WE played. It was all about the opposition, money to throw away and the blind backing of a billionaire family. 

Fast forward to Holden. God knows how he got the job, but I am led to believe there was way more than met the eye…Could SL JL and Ashton be that effing stupid? But there we are! Holden had a squad what we now know was full of unfit overpaid FOOTBALLERS some of whom knew that they were not getting another contract or just by and large did not care. The effing nonsense around Diehdou and bloody Walsh made it worse and Holden was left bigging up a team that after five games was poor and was the worst team in the league by October by any measure, real or anecdotal. 

Fast forward then to now. Pearson had a free hit when he came in as clearly we were very unlikely to get relegated and  took his time to flush out what he didnt want and keep what he needed. We have brought in three solid players all of which was partly to reinstill a work ethic and team process. (Two of which have Premier League Championship medals) and we look like our players care. A sight we have not seen since our very own conference manager was in charge!

Will we be top six competitive? I'm not sure, ask me in January, but do we have hope for this season and the future, oh god yes! Because the bloke actually has a method, a plan, a process, a medical team that are not C>>ts and a squad that know what is expected and know the consequences of not doing what they are told on and off the field….Optimism oh yeah….We have all earned the right to a bit of that!!

Agree with all of your post apart from defence is spelt with a c not a s unless you're from the US of A. (don't shoot the messenger).

20 hours ago, Davefevs said:

The reason for Pring and Massengo playing wide in midfield primarily is to protect the full backs.  It's worked.

I'd be surprised if Scott comes back as he is powder puff defensively. Semenyo is strong and against Cardiff showed real composure in some tight situations. Maybe he'll give Bakinson a go and keep Massengo on the right?

I'd be surprised if King starts both Luton and QPR certainly.

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Generally I think you are wrong. His passes are often under hit, not to feet or in front of the player enough to make them winnable. The boy has talent as I said earlier particularly with the little drag backs and close control, also his effort is first rate. He used to stop running if the play went by him, but he has had that coached out of his game and has become a better player for it, as he was lost for on the pitch for nearly a year. Another season with Pearson et al and he could be worth what some think he is now! Pearson himself has said he still has a lot to do, but is obviously keen on the boy as opposed to others in the squad  

Yes I’m sure we could debate the relative merits of Semenyo too. However if he could shoot he would be starting. Semenyo needs to work harder on different attributes than Massengo who also can’t shoot with any consistency but as they obviously play different roles shooting does not cost Massengo his place, Semenyo it does! To me I liken him to Vardy he stretches defenses because of his pace, however he has no real instinct around the box, which means he gets shunted wide.

Scott I think is (will be) the real class act between the three, however he is also the youngest and most inexperienced. For the position and areas of the pitch he wants to play he has a massive amount of talent, which of course is recognized by England as well as us. 

Archived