IGNORED

Team Vs Luton

liamhealeybcfc96

22 hours ago, pongo88 said:

It seems as though you’re right about Semenyo being ahead of Scott, but I hope you’re wrong. Semenyo has pace, but also the headless chicken syndrome. Scott, although he tends to slow the play down a bit, has a brain and can create more 

No comparison in level of ability...

Scott has a football brain & looks a natural - literally streets ahead of Semenyo.

22 hours ago, Super said:

4 central defenders at home to Preston was pretty negative. 

Agree that it can be negative and certainly used in a negative way but in that great spell under LJ, when we had all the injuries....guess what, 4 CBs! Some great controlled football as well in that time.

Fielding

Wright Flint Baker Magnússon

Brownhill Pack Smith Bryan

Paterson

Reid 

Tactically as well, that side was excellent.

Saturday

Bentley

Vyner Kalas Atkinson Baker

Massengo King James Pring

Weimann

Martin

A number of big similarities in fact exist between the two shapes. Of course Martin for Reid differs as does Weimann for Paterson, because Reid was like 2 in 1, a CM and striker and Paterson was in the freer role but could drop back or central.

The wide midfielders differ, much less goal threat as a pair so far from Massengo and Pring as set against Brownhill and Bryan.

Definitely some similarities in tactical framework however, and took Brownhill a while to get going IIRC.

On 12/09/2021 at 12:35, Davefevs said:

You mistake people’s optimism for reality of the Championship.  You see posters being able to “handle” not winning as optimism.  But you are completely ignoring the starting point.  In your world, surely Fulham should sack Silva because they lost to Blackpool yesterday. How did we only manage a draw against Blackpool, they’re crap!!! ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

What genuinely are your expectations for City this season?  To start with, just a simple what position do you think we will finish under Nige?  Then perhaps add in what position you think we should finish with the squad we have.  Subtly different questions..

I really don’t understand your viewpoint, answering the above might help me.

Dave,

I will of course beg to differ that i make a mistake!  i have seen enough good, bad and indifferent managers at BS3 to know exactly what each of them (Dicks onwards) did under the circumstances they operated under. In recent years SC was a magic man, given all the resources he asked for take us up in tremendous style and winning a double we wont see again. He was unable to continue this at Championship level and Lee came in and kept us up. He then made us competitve in this division with long 'runs' of good form and bad form. Finally he had too many players starting to exert the player power we see in both top divisions still today. As a (still) young manager he will do well wherever he goes and like the vast majority would like to see Sunderland go up with his coaching this seasons. Deano got the job under uniquely difficult circumstances and most people i know are delighted the board ignored stupid calls from the fans (many on here) to spend £6m and bring in Hughton. I was unsure about the Deano appt and still believe he did ok despite the board being right to eventually replace him. Good luck to him at Stoke

As for the Pearson appt' i think it was the most exciting and inspired bit of SL/MA work we have ever seen at the club since the day we announced Coppell, then James (and of course, that went horribly wrong!) and then gave Cotts everything he needed to romp out of the 3rd tier.

Am i a Pearson fan? Today he hasnt done nearly enough but in time i think he could do. His record so far with us is pants but last season really doesnt count in my book, for Holden or Pearson. I like some of the changes in character on and off the pitch and today put my money (all five quid) on us getting promotion at 20-1. Do i think it is a decent bet-obviously. Do i think we will go up-probably not but at 20-1 we have a chance. I am sure Fulham and WBA will both go up without sacking their managers and have thought so since the end of last season. I also think Sheff U will be there or thereabouts. I also hope Forest struggle, sack Hughton (to prove the muppets wrong who i refer to earlier) and i think Bournemouth adn Stoke will be very close, come May.

I like the coments of RedOxo and Craham C on this thread and make myself available, as always, to help you understand my point - should you really be bothered. We can talk on Wed, at Loftus Rd, The Den or at Posh should you choose?

CoYRs

1 hour ago, Son of Fred said:

No comparison in level of ability...

Scott has a football brain & looks a natural - literally streets ahead of Semenyo.

'level of ability' seems to be a misnomer these days for 'technical ability'. Semenyo is a very different player to Scott, and I think they both bring very different strenths (and weaknesses to the team). I'd like to actually see both of them in the team at some point, both young (Semenyo still onyl 21, let's remember) with bags of potential

Bentley

Vyner           Kalas        Atkinson       Pring

James           King (If his legs are up to it)

Massengo                                         Semenyo

Wells      Weimann

Same formation as last few games but arguably a bit more pace and slightly more attacking. The only reason I've said Wells ahead of Martin is purely fitness, think Martin is looking really sharp at the moment and don't want to flog him to death like we did last year. Think Semenyo on the left gives the option of a Pring overlap if Antoine drops inside. 

If King can't last 90 minutes I would play Bakinson in there but think that leaves us very vulnerable due to his off the ball work, shame Williams probably won't be fit enough as think him and James would compliment each other well! The other option is COD/Scott/Palmer and moving AS right and HNM in the middle but again a lot of chopping and changing. Don't think HNM quite has that discipline/awareness yet to play in a 2.

Whilst I would look at 1 or 2 changes you could argue that on Performances nobody deserves to be dropped at the moment so depending on fitness think we will go unchanged.

If he goes 4231 I’d like to see this 

Bentley 

Vyner      Kalas        Atkinson     Dasilva 

James      Massengo 

Scott         Weimann         Pring 

Wells 

2 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Dave,

I will of course beg to differ that i make a mistake!  i have seen enough good, bad and indifferent managers at BS3 to know exactly what each of them (Dicks onwards) did under the circumstances they operated under. In recent years SC was a magic man, given all the resources he asked for take us up in tremendous style and winning a double we wont see again. He was unable to continue this at Championship level and Lee came in and kept us up. He then made us competitve in this division with long 'runs' of good form and bad form. Finally he had too many players starting to exert the player power we see in both top divisions still today. As a (still) young manager he will do well wherever he goes and like the vast majority would like to see Sunderland go up with his coaching this seasons. Deano got the job under uniquely difficult circumstances and most people i know are delighted the board ignored stupid calls from the fans (many on here) to spend £6m and bring in Hughton. I was unsure about the Deano appt and still believe he did ok despite the board being right to eventually replace him. Good luck to him at Stoke

As for the Pearson appt' i think it was the most exciting and inspired bit of SL/MA work we have ever seen at the club since the day we announced Coppell, then James (and of course, that went horribly wrong!) and then gave Cotts everything he needed to romp out of the 3rd tier.

Am i a Pearson fan? Today he hasnt done nearly enough but in time i think he could do. His record so far with us is pants but last season really doesnt count in my book, for Holden or Pearson. I like some of the changes in character on and off the pitch and today put my money (all five quid) on us getting promotion at 20-1. Do i think it is a decent bet-obviously. Do i think we will go up-probably not but at 20-1 we have a chance. I am sure Fulham and WBA will both go up without sacking their managers and have thought so since the end of last season. I also think Sheff U will be there or thereabouts. I also hope Forest struggle, sack Hughton (to prove the muppets wrong who i refer to earlier) and i think Bournemouth adn Stoke will be very close, come May.

I like the coments of RedOxo and Craham C on this thread and make myself available, as always, to help you understand my point - should you really be bothered. We can talk on Wed, at Loftus Rd, The Den or at Posh should you choose?

CoYRs

Thanks for your reply.

Is your bet on City for promotion driven by attractive odds, or your genuine feel for where we’ll finish?  Do you think in reality we should be shorter odds than that, e.g. should be right in the mix at 6 or 7/1 and the bookies have underestimated us?  If the bookies have, then your view must surely be that Nige is underperforming this season (albeit early days but we aren’t a million miles away either), because you are happy to ignore last season.  If so, starting from this season, his record is right in the middle of the table.  Is that so bad, or have we peaked?

F6D5009B-0B27-45C6-9AAF-D4C32CE0E617.thumb.jpeg.1d2c1f8b653feac1d844a35abf081957.jpeg

Looking at the above, you can ignore the extra 5 points you’d get through Skybet (?), Skybet have us as 16th favourites to get promotion.  If you use your 20-1, then we are as expected to get promotion as Luton Town…our opponents on Wednesday.

Admittedly I don’t go much on bookies odds, they don’t give much away for the likely candidates…West Brom 2/5-on is very unappealing.

I think we are a middle eight / ten team….so anywhere between say 8th/9th and 16th/17th….and I doubt there will be much between the teams that fall into that bracket.  Those teams don’t tend to hammer the bottom 6 either.  I think by the next international break we will have a better picture.  But we currently sit 11th, having showed signs we are improving, and can improve more, but we haven’t played any of the so-called big hitters yet.  If we swapped home and away results over might the view be different?  As I’ve said previously, I honestly don’t care where we get our points, every point is scrapped for.

I'd like to see Wells start, I thought he looked pretty sharp when he came on against Preston. Im not sure if it would be at the expense of Martin or Weimann though. Maybe keep them both in and change it up a bit.

Do we try and keep it tight at the back by keeping Baker at full back or go a bit more attacking with Dasilva coming in? **** it, lets go a bit more attacking. Play Scott in front of Dasilva so he can "tuck" in and let Dasilva overlap.                    

Bentley

Tanner----Kalas----Atkinson----Dasilva

Weimann----James----Massengo----Scott

Martin----Wells

Something like that maybe. If it goes wrong it gives us an excuse to have a moan. :laugh:

I'd also like to see Tanner, only because he's a new signing and I haven't seen him play yet. :laugh:.

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Bentley 

Vyner  Kalas Atkinson Dasilva 

James Massengo 

Semenyo.  Scott.    Pring 

Wells 

Wouldn't mind that team. I doubt it will be that though!

Kinda like Baker at the back as well. Gives us height at the back plus a threat at corners and free kicks when attacking. Would also have Scott on the right and include Weiman where Scott was. Should be good.

31 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Just strikes me 3 games quick time there likely to be changes for Luton. Really feel this the game for a Wells start. And hope he plays central. Will he test wiemen too? Scott to start ?

Interesting selection against Luton I can see happening .

Nigel Pearson isn't expecting to make many changes to his starting XI for the visit of Luton Town on Wednesday night, as he insists Bristol City have the right formula to end their wait for a victory at Ashton Gate…..

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/nigel-pearson-bristol-city-luton-5911415

On 13/09/2021 at 22:24, Jerseybean said:

Nigel Pearson isn't expecting to make many changes to his starting XI for the visit of Luton Town on Wednesday night, as he insists Bristol City have the right formula to end their wait for a victory at Ashton Gate…..

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/nigel-pearson-bristol-city-luton-5911415

I not convinced. They will not play the same side in the Preston, Luton & qpr games. And as qpr is on paper a more difficult game than Luton. I feel certain players might be rested or a plan b for the Luton game. I do not pay much heed to what I read in the press esp. the Bristol live .

Just my thoughts any way

Archived