IGNORED

Micheal Appleton

Lorenzos Only Goal

Changed my view on him, a gas Head mate of mine came to visit me at the weekend I live equi distance from a few teams so we took in Cambridge vs Lincoln.  The ground was packed and the Lincoln fans on top form, Adelakun scored on 1 minute and Lincoln went on to pop in another 4.  

Things I learned Appleton has Lincoln playing nice football, slick and well drilled.  I don't know why but I never liked him that much before, I think should we find ourselves without manager again I won't be quite so anti Appleton in future.  Adelakun wasn't their best player by a way, not a big miss I don't think. However Scully is a tidy player it would be interesting what @Davefevs has on him in terms of stats, firery little bugger but much better than L1 I think.  Worth a punt in January maybe. 

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He’s highly thought of within the game - I think lots of people on this forum just make the Ashton connection and remember his dodgier spells earlier in his career. 

I think that was me I just recall his stints early doors at Portsmouth and have an emotional reaction to his name. 

32 minutes ago, BetterRedThanBlue said:

I like Appleton as a coach and should it not work out with Nige and he was linked I wouldn't be disappointed.

The issue was he is mates with Mark Ashton so if he was appointed previously it'd just be Ashton consolidating his power even more.

Also the fact that loyalty doesn’t seem to feature very high in his vocabulary. Didn’t he jump ship a bit quickly when a bigger club showed an interest in him on more than one occasion.?

35 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Also the fact that loyalty doesn’t seem to feature very high in his vocabulary. Didn’t he jump ship a bit quickly when a bigger club showed an interest in him on more than one occasion.?

There was one period in 2012. He managed Portsmouth for a year and, in fairness to him, had to contend with administration, the sale of all the players, failure to get new owners etc. He then left in November 2012 to join Blackpool, which I think was with good wishes from most Portsmouth fans who got his reasons and felt he stuck it out as long as he could.

What did the damage to his reputation was that he quit Blackpool two months later to join Blackburn.  I don't know the reasons or circumstances but that's what got him his reputation for disloyalty. Beyond that, he stayed at Oxford for three years and has been at Lincoln for two so I don't think he is a serial ship-jumper. 

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

There was one period in 2012. He managed Portsmouth for a year and, in fairness to him, had to contend with administration, the sale of all the players, failure to get new owners etc. He then left in November 2012 to join Blackpool, which I think was with good wishes from most Portsmouth fans who got his reasons and felt he stuck it out as long as he could.

What did the damage to his reputation was that he quit Blackpool two months later to join Blackburn.  I don't know the reasons or circumstances but that's what got him his reputation for disloyalty. Beyond that, he stayed at Oxford for three years and has been at Lincoln for two so I don't think he is a serial ship-jumper. 

Is worth pointing out that was when  Blackpool had Karl Oyston running the show who didn’t really give the impression of being easy to work for 

16 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Interesting that the 2 other faved candidates for cities manager job are struggling. Hughton in big trouble and Cook not doing well also…..

Must admit that thought crossed my mind too.

Hughton might well not be in charge by the time Forest play again & whilst I would have been happy if he’d got the job (though he was never my first choice), the way it has worked out with us ending up with Pearson might be for the best.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Must admit that thought crossed my mind too.

Hughton might well not be in charge by the time Forest play again & whilst I would have been happy if he’d got the job (though he was never my first choice), the way it has worked out with us ending up with Pearson might be for the best.

I just wonder whether Cook is allowed to manage as he would like. As for Hughton - who knows but I’m delighted we got Pearson.

4 hours ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

@Davefevs any thoughts on scully he did look sharp. 

He’s one of the better widemen in Lg1.  I didn’t realise until a couple of weeks ago he was the son of ex-Man City  winger Tony Scully. Got a great goal record for a wideman, can play off either side.  I didn’t see him in a full match in 19/20, but I know Joe Morrell’s dad thought he was pretty good when he signed on loan….before COVID struck.  Definitely one you’d keep an eye on.

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Interesting that the 2 other faved candidates for cities manager job are struggling. Hughton in big trouble and Cook not doing well also…..

I would’ve taken either.  Hughton was my boring first choice, Cook my exciting second choice.  But i see Pearson as the better of the three (not much in it with Hughton though).  Sometimes the fit with a club isn’t right.  Both might’ve been perfect here.

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

He’s one of the better widemen in Lg1.  I didn’t realise until a couple of weeks ago he was the son of ex-Man City  winger Tony Scully. Got a great goal record for a wideman, can play off either side.  I didn’t see him in a full match in 19/20, but I know Joe Morrell’s dad thought he was pretty good when he signed on loan….before COVID struck.  Definitely one you’d keep an eye on.

I would’ve taken either.  Hughton was my boring first choice, Cook my exciting second choice.  But i see Pearson as the better of the three (not much in it with Hughton though).  Sometimes the fit with a club isn’t right.  Both might’ve been perfect here.

Scully had a hand in all Lincoln’s five goals on Saturday including scoring two. I only watched the highlights but he looked quick, fluid movement and an eye for goal. I don’t think he’ll be at Lincoln long. I hope we’re tracking him.

Appleton is certainly making quite a few people look rather silly, for their comments on here, in the past. 

To completely & utterly write off a potential (rumour) manager based on very little. 

He has been unfortunate to have been at a couple of clubs during their worst possible times, where nobody could have possibly done well. 

What he's done/is doing at Lincoln, is truly remarkable..! 

Would he be any good here..? Who knows. 

Could he be good here...? There's very little reason why not - yet people were quick to totally slate him as a potential candidate, with no real reason. 

I remember even last season he was utterly discounted by many on here, despite having Lincoln sat at the top of their division at the time. 

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I would’ve taken either.  Hughton was my boring first choice, Cook my exciting second choice.  But I see Pearson as the better of the three (not much in it with Hughton though).  Sometimes the fit with a club isn’t right.  Both might’ve been perfect here.

Cook was my preferred rumour, but I'm happy with Pearson :) And I was a huge fan of Chris.  Appleton was the only one I had it in for ? 

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

Appleton is certainly making quite a few people look rather silly, for their comments on here, in the past. 

To completely & utterly write off a potential (rumour) manager based on very little. 

He has been unfortunate to have been at a couple of clubs during their worst possible times, where nobody could have possibly done well. 

What he's done/is doing at Lincoln, is truly remarkable..! 

Would he be any good here..? Who knows. 

Could he be good here...? There's very little reason why not - yet people were quick to totally slate him as a potential candidate, with no real reason. 

I remember even last season he was utterly discounted by many on here, despite having Lincoln sat at the top of their division at the time. 

I remember writing about his time at Oxford…..scattergun recruitment and lots of it for the short period Ashton was there with him (til Dec 2014), then much more focussed during the Windows after Ashton left.

Think a lot of his bad press is as stated above, when he left Blackpool for Blackburn shortly after going there.

At the time LJ was announced, that was still fresh in the mind, and has probably tarred him on OTIB since.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I remember writing about his time at Oxford…..scattergun recruitment and lots of it for the short period Ashton was there with him (til Dec 2014), then much more focussed during the Windows after Ashton left.

Think a lot of his bad press is as stated above, when he left Blackpool for Blackburn shortly after going there.

At the time LJ was announced, that was still fresh in the mind, and has probably tarred him on OTIB since.

Poor chap, I can't believe he'd want to go through that again…

11 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Always liked Appleton and would have been happy if he’d come here. Not quite sure why his name was so readily dismissed. 

Suspicions of him being “Ashton’s man” probably had a lot to do with it.

33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Although at that point, unless you knew he was around the club to sack Cotts, you might not have had a concern about Ashton.

Fair comment Dave, although IIRC there was a suspicion that Ashton would want to bring Appleton with him.

Of course it might be that those concerned only surfaced a little tie later.

On 12/09/2021 at 23:18, Davefevs said:

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/cambridge-united/12405470/cambridge-1-5-lincoln

He's got bloody 9 goals already this season.

Archived