IGNORED

Daniel Johnson - the player Palmer could be.

Major Isewater

Johnson has consistently played well for PNE. IMO he was the best player on the pitch Saturday and made it look easy. Unfortunately for Palmer whilst there has been progress this pre season especially fitness and desire wise. He hasn’t got the capability to be consistent it seems and every manager has benched him. Unfortunately at this moment KP and DJ are levels apart 

42 minutes ago, 054123 said:

And yet still plying his trade at Preston.

He must really love it there.

Interestingly the Preston reporter (who must know his stuff) implied in his piece on Saturday’s game that he seems to have many of his best games against us.

Hard to avoid the conclusion therefore that we get a skewed impression of him, based on 2 games a season out of 46.

There has to be some explanation as to why he’s still there, when there was a mass exodus last season of the likes of Davies, Fisher, Ben Pearson..

29 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Interestingly the Preston reporter (who must know his stuff) implied in his piece on Saturday’s game that he seems to have many of his best games against us.

Hard to avoid the conclusion therefore that we get a skewed impression of him, based on 2 games a season out of 46.

There has to be some explanation as to why he’s still there, when there was a mass exodus last season of the likes of Davies, Fisher, Ben Pearson..

The old Barry Bannon conundrum.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

44 minutes ago, 054123 said:

The old Barry Bannon conundrum.

Give any player time and space and they'll look good.

Unfortunately in the past few years, the way we have set up allowed that to happen sometimes.

The thing about Johnson is, that as well as the goal threat (possibly skewed by penalties) and technical level, he is one of those who can slot back in.

Wouldn't necessarily trust Palmer in a 4-2-3-1, though Preston now play a back 3 of course but for a long time it was 4-2-3-1.

Johnson can be that guy as the '1'...but can also help to fork the barrier out of possession into that 3. Or other shapes with a 2 in CM and 1 ahead.

Palmer, doubt it. He shows his creative side at times but Johnson is IMO superior both in general and tactically.

Find a lot of the criticisms around Palmer harsh, thought he looked very good in pre season. His defensive work rate had increased dramatically and was continuing to create chances and get assists as he does most times he plays, there seems to be an expectation for him to set the world alight in every match which no player in the squad does. Think he (or Scott) would have had a far greater impact on Saturday's game than Dasilva, who seemed to struggle when he came on.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

These are all skills that KP has but we don’t see often enough. 

Because he very rarely gets a proper run in the team. We've seen the importance of this since Pearson came in with Massengo in how actual regular game time allows players to improve, gain some momentum and iron out the wrinkles in their game that are present when they get ten minutes on the pitch once a fortnight. That's not to say he should be thrown in the team or that Palmer has necessarily earned a long shift in the side, but I don't really know how he's meant to improve without playing.

I'll certainly trust Pearson's judgement over my own as he sees training etc, but I think Palmer can offer us more than he currently does keeping the bench warm.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

I agree there are some similarities. But Palmer really needs to at some point show it. I think Johnson has intelligent and better movement than Palmer, in a role that being able to find pockets of space is so important.

Palmer can only show it if he is played. Presumably there is something seen in training that means he keeps the bench warm. I would like to see him get a start (with Wells) on Wednesday against Luton 

20 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

Palmer can only show it if he is played. Presumably there is something seen in training that means he keeps the bench warm. I would like to see him get a start (with Wells) on Wednesday against Luton 

He has played before and largely been a let down. I don’t think Pearson is too fond of the inconsistent. 

10 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I don't believe what people say about you need to give him a run of games. When he next gets a chance he needs to take it. That will be how Nige thinks I'm sure.

But as you say there, training is of course a big factor that none of us can see.

Pearson says Palmer needs to improve his game understanding. I think that's spot on. Fitness and effort seems to be there.

As it is he seems to be behind Weimann and Scott in the 10 role. And he's behind numerous players in a wide role.

All that can change of course and hopefully Nige and the coaching team are working hard on whatever they feel he needs to improve on in training.

I think it's mainly his positional play that needs a lot of work whether the team have or don't have possession.

agree, don’t think he the tactical nous of others….probably got to Chelsea off the back of being an exceptionally skilful player through age group, and then things toughen up when you start playing out of age group.  He is a talented boy, but doing it in the framework is his biggest problem.  Capable of great stuff.  Same with his tackling / pressing - no lack of effort, but has been a bit misguided at times (think he has improved that a bit though).

But also his decision making on the ball can be frustrating at times too.

Bit like Antoine’s shooting, don’t always need to try the killer ball.  I still think he’s at his best when he’s passing quickly and more simply, the give and go type stuff. He could play off of Martin in that respect.

7 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I have a Preston fan as a friend. A couple of seasons ago I was talking to him about Daniel Johnson and both he and his Preston mates really didn’t rate him at all. I think it was about the time we were supposed to be interested in signing him and they were hoping that we would take him!  Slow, injury prone, inconsistent were their comments from what I remember

I have only seen him play poorly against us once I think, every other time he has left us floundering and just finds gaps and waltzes through leaving us almost hypnotised! 

Yes it’s strange how Preston have moved on some players to bigger clubs yet don’t get interest for him. 

1 hour ago, RedM said:

I have a Preston fan as a friend. A couple of seasons ago I was talking to him about Daniel Johnson and both he and his Preston mates really didn’t rate him at all. I think it was about the time we were supposed to be interested in signing him and they were hoping that we would take him!  Slow, injury prone, inconsistent were their comments from what I remember

I have only seen him play poorly against us once I think, every other time he has left us floundering and just finds gaps and waltzes through leaving us almost hypnotised! 

Yes it’s strange how Preston have moved on some players to bigger clubs yet don’t get interest for him. 

The time before last when we played the Knobbers DJ looked dead on his feet. 
The little I caught of Saturday’s game mostly highlighted the lad doing exactly what he wanted without much hinderance from our boys. 
As I wrote previously I only get to see DJ twice a season and each time he looks a cut above. 

Johnson always looks good when against us and he stood out on Saturday. But like others have said, that’s based on one or two games a season. 

I rate Palmer. He is able to open up defences with a single pass. But a number of managers have not started him regularly, so there must be something lacking. I never see any lack of commitment from Palmer, so it must be something else, like as @Davefevshas said his ability to operate in the team’s framework. 

9 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Which is odd, cos Darnell Fisher has been garbage every time we've played him.

Archived