IGNORED

Found our new striker!

Loco Rojo

Was hoping you'd mention that Wells has found his boots. Clearly 'Nige' is clear about the best two strikers left at the club and to the shock/horror to some on hear it really aint the grumpy one!.I'd have CoD as the first sub assuming we are still not finding the net on Wed at 60 mins; to support the best two forwards we have.

1 hour ago, Hampshire Red said:

Was hoping you'd mention that Wells has found his boots. Clearly 'Nige' is clear about the best two strikers left at the club and to the shock/horror to some on hear it really aint the grumpy one!.I'd have CoD as the first sub assuming we are still not finding the net on Wed at 60 mins; to support the best two forwards we have.

Judging by Nige’s pre-match comments I’m not sure he (COD) will even get on the bench.  Joe Williams was available for selection on Saturday and didn’t make the 18 - from Nige’s City club interview.  Nige really does stick to his rules it seems.  Here’s more quotes in the BP interview.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/nigel-pearson-bristol-city-luton-5911415

“The process and how we go about selecting the team for this middle game of the week is still the intensity that we want and have an eye for the weekend, but this is the most important game now. You want to win the one that's next, that's the only important game at any given time.

"What I don't like doing is talking about rotating the squad. We are talking about a tight-ish squad where the competition is driven by the players, not the whims of a manager who decides to change when he wants to change it.

"For me, once you set the parameters in place in terms of how we want to judge ourselves and behave around the place, you've got to be true to that. I want the competition to be driven by performance on the pitch.

"That's the beauty of a tighter squad. I've still got grumpy players, don't worry about that. I want them to be disappointed when they're not playing. And it's not about me being their best friend or anything like that, it's about them being professional enough to take their opportunity when it comes.

I don't think you'll hear about me rotating the squad because I like to reward performances by keeping players in. But clearly there will be occasions where there will be simple changes to the team just because we as staff feel it's the right thing to do.”

1 hour ago, Hampshire Red said:

Bloody hell, it's like @Robbored and Gary 2.0!!

Have a day off mate. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Judging by Nige’s pre-match comments I’m not sure he (COD) will even get on the bench.  Joe Williams was available for selection on Saturday and didn’t make the 18 - from Nige’s City club interview.  Nige really does stick to his rules it seems.  Here’s more quotes in the BP interview.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/nigel-pearson-bristol-city-luton-5911415

“The process and how we go about selecting the team for this middle game of the week is still the intensity that we want and have an eye for the weekend, but this is the most important game now. You want to win the one that's next, that's the only important game at any given time.

"What I don't like doing is talking about rotating the squad. We are talking about a tight-ish squad where the competition is driven by the players, not the whims of a manager who decides to change when he wants to change it.

"For me, once you set the parameters in place in terms of how we want to judge ourselves and behave around the place, you've got to be true to that. I want the competition to be driven by performance on the pitch.

"That's the beauty of a tighter squad. I've still got grumpy players, don't worry about that. I want them to be disappointed when they're not playing. And it's not about me being their best friend or anything like that, it's about them being professional enough to take their opportunity when it comes.

I don't think you'll hear about me rotating the squad because I like to reward performances by keeping players in. But clearly there will be occasions where there will be simple changes to the team just because we as staff feel it's the right thing to do.”

In hindsight the unchanged team on Saturday wasn’t a surprise as he is following through on what he has probably said to the players. Play well and you keep your place. The situation short term would probably merit Dasilva coming in for Baker but the greater good of the overall message is Baker keeps his place as he played well against Cardiff. It’s a decision that is for the long term good of the squad which is all part of building for a season beyond this one 

6 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

In hindsight the unchanged team on Saturday wasn’t a surprise as he is following through on what he has probably said to the players. Play well and you keep your place. The situation short term would probably merit Dasilva coming in for Baker but the greater good of the overall message is Baker keeps his place as he played well against Cardiff. It’s a decision that is for the long term good of the squad which is all part of building for a season beyond this one 

Yep….and I think players know where they stand, and they like knowing that.  That’s not to say there won’t be changes on Wednesday, might be good tactical reasons, might be a player carrying a little knock, etc.  What players hate is being told one set of rules, then seeing them tossed in the bin to either accommodate a favourite or on the flip side someone ousted for little reason.

I think with Baker he’d also left him out after Boro, and by his own admission said he didn’t really deserve to miss out starting v Reading.  Baker might well’ve feared being left out again v Preston, but he wasn’t.  He had a decent enough game too….he just isn’t Dasilva with the ball at his feet.

The good thing generally is that players tend to be responding to getting their chance.

I don’t want to bring LJ into the man-management discussion but you lose credibility when you say you’re gonna play the ones you can trust from now on….then make 6 changes the game after.

Nige appears too long in the tooth.  It might leave him with decisions to make in January, if someone like Wells or Williams, or whoever isn’t playing.  But football has a habit of opportunity creation, so up to those players on the fringes being ready to take their chance.

As I’ve posted before, I’ve never been so chilled about the eleven that starts each game.

Archived