IGNORED

Who were the footy followers who sprayed graffiti at STONEHENGE?

Never to the dark side

• The title was changed to Who were the footy followers who sprayed graffiti at STONEHENGE?
9 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Somebody told me the stones at stanton drew are older than stonehenge.

Is that correct?

I believe so, and they look it mind. :) There are lots of standing stones across the the UK and Europe that are are older than Stonehenge, it's the comparatively intricate and deliberate arrangement that sets it apart. I still think the most incredible thing about it is that the stone was brought all the way from the Welsh hills.

19 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I believe so, and they look it mind. :) There are lots of standing stones across the the UK and Europe that are are older than Stonehenge, it's the comparatively intricate and deliberate arrangement that sets it apart. I still think the most incredible thing about it is that the stone was brought all the way from the Welsh hills.

But I'm thinking I remember something like the intricacies are only there now because they have done numerous "restorations". I think they are mostly concreted into the ground now. 

1 minute ago, Pezo said:

But I'm thinking I remember something like the intricacies are only there now because they have done numerous "restorations". I think they are mostly concreted into the ground now. 

Maybe? But the stones being laid across eachother to create the arches, the accuracy of it as a calendar, and apparently being deliberately chiselled to create stability are all rare among other standing stone examples.

6 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Maybe? But the stones being laid across eachother to create the arches, the accuracy of it as a calendar, and apparently being deliberately chiselled to create stability are all rare among other standing stone examples.

Oh yeah, wouldn't want to dismiss it as anything other than a great achievement just a but of a shame that restoration efforts in the early 20th century weren't quite as considered as they are now.

27 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Yes i recall the stones were walked there from swansea.

Wonder if steve torpey was on that job?

Stones from Swansea are not uncommon. I remember driving away from Swansea (after a night game 5-0 victory led by the magnificent Sir Bob). There were plenty of stones coming in our general direction from the somewhat disgruntled locals...?

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Especially with those bridge tolls! And the likelihood of it being shut for high winds…?

Only the much smaller inner circle bluestones (about 2-5 tonnes each), but yeah still impressive...

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Yes i recall the stones were walked there from swansea.

Further than that, the Preseli Hills in Pembrokeshire.

Avebury is pretty impressive too - and free to visit. Just 15 minutes drive from where I live - I go there quite often to walk the dog. The Red Lion pub there is a bit of a disappointment (Greene King pub chain), but it has a deep well inside which is an interesting feature. Silbury Hill and the great Long Barrow are nearby too - also free to visit.

Lots of prehistoric sights in Wiltshire, all along the Ridgeway.

1 minute ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Avebury is pretty impressive too - and free to visit. Just 15 minutes drive from where I live - I go there quite often to walk the dog. The Red Lion pub there is a bit of a disappointment (Greene King pub chain), but it has a deep well inside which is an interesting feature. Silbury Hill and the great Long Barrow are nearby too - also free to visit.

Lots of prehistoric sights in Wiltshire, all along the Ridgeway.

I always find Avebury creepy, I think it's because of the "Children of the Stones" series when I was a kid. I very much doubt that would be seen as teatime viewing these days! :)

7 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I always find Avebury creepy, I think it's because of the "Children of the Stones" series when I was a kid. I very much doubt that would be seen as teatime viewing these days! :)

I don't remember that series. 
I do think about the skeleton that they found under one of the fallen stones though. It was a man, and some coins in his pocket dates him to the early 1800's (I think). They recon he got p1553d in the Red Lion and fell asleep against the stone which promptly fell on him. Strange to think that one day he walked out for a beer and was not seen again for 200 years - his family must have been left wondering. 

Sorry - getting a bit deep here!!!

18 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I don't remember that series. 
I do think about the skeleton that they found under one of the fallen stones though. It was a man, and some coins in his pocket dates him to the early 1800's (I think). They recon he got p1553d in the Red Lion and fell asleep against the stone which promptly fell on him. Strange to think that one day he walked out for a beer and was not seen again for 200 years - his family must have been left wondering. 

Sorry - getting a bit deep here!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_of_the_Stones 

"Director Peter Graham Scott was surprised on seeing the script that the series was intended for children's airtime due to the complexities of the plot and the disturbing nature of the series." 

I was 14 at the time and still found it disturbing. :) 

If you are interested there is a radio play of the story available on BBC Sounds.

excellent programme! the music was brilliant...don't make kid's TV like they did in the 70s

Archived