IGNORED

Who were the footy followers who sprayed graffiti at STONEHENGE?

Never to the dark side

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_of_the_Stones 

"Director Peter Graham Scott was surprised on seeing the script that the series was intended for children's airtime due to the complexities of the plot and the disturbing nature of the series." 

I was 14 at the time and still found it disturbing. :) 

If you are interested there is a radio play of the story available on BBC Sounds.

I was nine! Absolutely loved it…I was so excited driving through Avebury 30 years later, so creepy, I was half expecting to meet a standing stone in the middle of the road! Amazing place to visit, though not on the summer solstice (we did get blessed by the King of Wessex though!)

4 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I don't remember that series. 
I do think about the skeleton that they found under one of the fallen stones though. It was a man, and some coins in his pocket dates him to the early 1800's (I think). They recon he got p1553d in the Red Lion and fell asleep against the stone which promptly fell on him. Strange to think that one day he walked out for a beer and was not seen again for 200 years - his family must have been left wondering. 

Sorry - getting a bit deep here!!!

You were close.....well.....what's 500 years between friends, eh?!? :)

He was apparently part of a movement to "De-paganise" the ground in the 14th century and was digging out the stone when it fell on him, entombing him until 1938.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barber_surgeon_of_Avebury

25 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

You were close.....well.....what's 500 years between friends, eh?!? :)

He was apparently part of a movement to "De-paganise" the ground in the 14th century and was digging out the stone when it fell on him, entombing him until 1938.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barber_surgeon_of_Avebury

I’m 54 and my memory isn’t what it used to be!!

Besides, 1320-25 looks like 1820-25 through my ancient eyes!!!

1 hour ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Clearly "walk the dog" is a euphemism.

Please tell us more.

I put his lead on, get my coat and drive him to Avebury (ensuring I have some poo-bags - most important as a socially-aware dog owner).

I park along 'The Avenue' (just past the stone circle) because the parking is free. If you park in the Red Lion it's Pay & Display.

I walk the dog up and down the Avenue, making sure I clean up after him, then I might pop into one of the pubs for a pint - sometimes the Red Lion, but I'm not a fan as I said before, so I tend to go to either the Wagon & Horses or the New Inn, before driving back home to Swindon.

I believe you may have confused my activity with 'Dogging' - which is a completely different passtime....... 

5 hours ago, Fodbarmyarmy said:

Don't be silly, the Bridge wasn't built back then....they had to queue for the ferry..

Slightly more seriously, Stonehenge is thought have been built beteeen 3000 and 2500 BCE (or whatever they are calling it these days). So approximately 5000 years ago. The geography of the channel and the Severn and the Wye could have been significantly different. 

I have seen models which show no channel at all approximately 7500, certainly as recent as 10,000 years ago, which could mean that, with silting, and other geographical features, a crossing anywhere around Brean up to Aust may have been possible depending on the speed which it filled with water again. This would be assuming that the rollers or sleds that were probably used to transport the stones, would have doubled up as rafts in shallow(ish) water.

It's a really fascinating subject, with so many mysteries, from who the Druids actually were, to why that  particular type of stone, to why that particular location. (Cue some wag saying that it was convenient to the A303) :)

That's before you even talk about it's purpose, calendar? Religious? Magic? 

Looks like I should start a new thread in the general chat. :)

Archived