IGNORED

Louis Britton and other U23s

Silvio Dante

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Agree. If club think they can get him to the pre-requisite fitness levels, then I suspect it’s possible. I’m not qualified to know if there is such a thing as “naturally fit” or not, but surely not all footballers are built the same and there are plenty of examples of what appear to be unathletic players playing at all levels.

I knew a lad that at the time, was probably the best prospect in the area in that age group. Incredibly talented with superb technical ability but not what you would call an athletic build. At the backend of the season the carrot was dangled, pro deal and first team debut, sky was the limit. 
Summer off and back to pre-season with a bespoke fitness and diet programme, basically live like a monk.  
3 months later he’s in full time employment and out of the game. Couldn’t handle the workload and sacrifices needed to get to the level required. 
Everyone wants to be a footballer but being a footballer isn’t for everyone. 

I hope we see Louis in the first team again and I will doff my cap if we do because he will have earned it the hard way. 

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I don't think it's about playing week in and week out, it's about his core fitness as others have said.

If there is a fitness plan in place then they will want to keep him close to monitor him through that.

I don't agree totally with @spudski, I can see what he means but I have seen several players over the years who I would have thought would never make the step up, do so through a rigorous training programme.

I guess the question is whether Nigels fitness man has told him he can bring his standard up, or whether he is giving it the good old college try because of his raw ability.

Football now has become all about being a top athlete, rather than footballer. Even more so at Championship level.

Gone are the days where you could have gifted footballers that weren't particularly fit.

Some players are gifted but just can't get to the higher echelons because of their genetics.

If you have the right genetics and environment to train to the highest order, with an aptitude for football, then you can get to the top.

However...even if you have the drive, determination, environment to train, and football aptitude, if you don't have the right genetics, you won't make it to the very top.

Imo...Britton falls into the latter.

He just doesn't have the legs for it imo.

It's explained here... genetics can have between 30-80% consequence on outcome.

33 minutes ago, spudski said:

Football now has become all about being a top athlete, rather than footballer. Even more so at Championship level.

Gone are the days where you could have gifted footballers that weren't particularly fit.

Some players are gifted but just can't get to the higher echelons because of their genetics.

If you have the right genetics and environment to train to the highest order, with an aptitude for football, then you can get to the top.

However...even if you have the drive, determination, environment to train, and football aptitude, if you don't have the right genetics, you won't make it to the very top.

Imo...Britton falls into the latter.

He just doesn't have the legs for it imo.

It's explained here... genetics can have between 30-80% consequence on outcome.

Lets hope we dont live to regret it and he signs and bangs in goals elsewhere sheff unt were one of the clubs eyeing him up he banged in two last week done his self no harm .

Ok so you can't play unless your quick. What about Flint,Tomlin, Pack or even Kieffer Moore, all of Cardiff. Can't be slower than any of them. Even Pogba of Man U isnt quick. City would need to play to his strengths ie get the ball to him in the box. Give the guy 15 mins at the end of a couple of games then extend it. He'll get there.

10 minutes ago, WECANDO said:

Ok so you can't play unless your quick. What about Flint,Tomlin, Pack or even Kieffer Moore, all of Cardiff. Can't be slower than any of them. Even Pogba of Man U isnt quick. City would need to play to his strengths ie get the ball to him in the box. Give the guy 15 mins at the end of a couple of games then extend it. He'll get there.

There is a massive difference between being quick and being fit. Not a major problem if someone is not the fastest. It is a major problem if someone is not fit enough to maintain their level of performance for an extended period of time. Pogba or Moore might not be the fastest but they're not reaching a point where they are too knackered too contribute. 

33 minutes ago, WECANDO said:

Clearly Chris Martin is super fast and doesn’t have a strange gate when running also. (That was irony) There have been dozens of examples of strange looking forwards. Quinn at Coventry, Wanchope at Derby a few years ago etc etc etc. The list goes on. For the love of god Messi is 5ft 7 on a very good day!

I try and watch as much of our teams as I can and I really like this boy. Old fashioned big forward, but he gets his share of tap ins and follow ups as well. Thus it seems to me its mainly about his fitness level and squad size he is not in the first team squad. If the medical department and coaching team think he is not fit enough then I for 100 percent believe them, I see this as a challenge to the kid. He was injured and started late so its unclear to what extent this is a problem now, but I would be hopeful that he can rise to the challenge as it seems he is the natural swap for Martin we have on the books!

3 hours ago, SBB said:

I knew a lad that at the time, was probably the best prospect in the area in that age group. Incredibly talented with superb technical ability but not what you would call an athletic build. At the backend of the season the carrot was dangled, pro deal and first team debut, sky was the limit. 
Summer off and back to pre-season with a bespoke fitness and diet programme, basically live like a monk.  
3 months later he’s in full time employment and out of the game. Couldn’t handle the workload and sacrifices needed to get to the level required. 
Everyone wants to be a footballer but being a footballer isn’t for everyone. 

I hope we see Louis in the first team again and I will doff my cap if we do because he will have earned it the hard way. 

Still playing for anyone?

He's got a good goals per game ration in the Championship for a chronically unfit footballer.

That was a bit tongue in cheek but nobody can argue against him having a natural strikers eye for goal or challenge his effort to get amongst things when on the pitch.  If the issue is that it's his innate poor physiology or athleticism rather than lack of training effort to reach the required standard, then surely he would make a great last 30 minutes or so super sub when chasing a game and needing a goal. 

I think it's a case of Pearson throwing down the gauntlet.  I don't think he would be harsh enough to say that if he didn't think it were possible for Britton to rise to the challenge.

Archived