IGNORED

Atmosphere v results

The turtle

Does atmosphere matter at all or is it simply something that makes fans feel better, feeling part of it? 

Stoke pre prem/early pre prem was an incredible atmosphere. Liverpool on a European night under the lights.  They are the two that come to mind when I think of atmosphere adding to the team.

However there are many examples of clubs being successful with no home atmosphere. (eithad is not exactly known to be roaring, bernabeu barely gets out of bed for a league game) 

Furthermore, If you think the atmosphere really does matter, are fans also to blame for the fact city haven't won at home for so long. Could fans also be doing more? 

How much of an impact as fans do you think atmosphere has on a game? 

Atmospheres turgid since the redevelopmenmt and of course that matters but not for all my son sadly binned watching city as its boring now. The Dolman is now dead deceased 100% for atmosphere. fans doing more!! fans got told one game by the stewards they couldnt sing and if they wanted to do so should go in the singing section. weclome to the new world attack more please City because if you dont its a library as the away fans kindly remind us every home game.

My view is that when there’s something to shout about it feels great, but awfully quiet when it’s not.  I know that sounds obvious, but it feels like there needs to be a critical mass of people shouting for it to resonate throughout the ground.

I wish they’d turn down the pre-game music volume.  It think it stops any pre-game chanting.

• Like 6

The atmosphere tends to influence the nature of games IMO - a strong atmosphere causes an increase in intensity on the pitch (of course it could be argued that the cause/effect is reversed). IIRC many of the championship games played without fans during the pandemic felt a bit slower

There are examples of an atmosphere allowing a home side to come from behind or achieve an upset, but (obviously) the key factor is still the ability of the teams on the pitch. In that sense, a good atmosphere probably won't win you games. e.g. Despite the "famous Elland Road atmosphere", Liverpool still battered Leeds this weekend. 

In terms of good form caused by atmospheres, a lot of it may be more about psychology....does the away team feel that the away ground is a "tough place to go" and lose confidence? Or inversely in our case, do away teams have a boost of confidence in thinking that AG is an "easy place to go"? (regardless of whether the atmosphere actually makes such feelings accurate)

49 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My view is that when there’s something to shout about it feels great, but awfully quiet when it’s not.  I know that sounds obvious, but it feels like there needs to be a critical mass of people shouting for it to resonate throughout the ground.

I wish they’d turn down the pre-game music volume.  It think it stops any pre-game chanting.

Much of the lack of atmosphere at many games is due to location of the ‘singing section’ tucked away in the corner of the SS.

Other parts of the stadium often struggle to hear them. Certainly in the Dolman they’re pretty much inaudible and that must affect any creation of atmosphere.

Ideally the singing section should behind either goal, preferably the Atyeo where the away fans often make such a din but A&S police won’t allow it as they want the away fans to exit the stadium via the Winterstoke Rd.

Edited by Robbored
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Much of the lack of atmosphere at many games is due to location of the ‘singing section’ tucked away in the corner of the SS.

Other parts of the stadium often struggle to hear them. Certainly in the Dolman they’re pretty much inaudible and that must affect any creation of atmosphere.

Jesus man, you can’t hear the tannoy, now you can’t hear the singing section.

Have you considered you just might be deaf and pissing off Mark Kelly for no good reason?

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Jesus man, you can’t hear the tannoy, now you can’t hear the singing section.

Have you considered you just might be deaf and pissing off Mark Kelly for no good reason?

Not just me that can’t hear the tannoy Silvio, none of others around me can’t  hear it clearly either.

I doubt anyone can hear the singing section very clearly either but we can all hear the away fans loud and clear

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Not just me that can’t hear the tannoy Silvio, none of others around me can’t  hear it clearly either.

I doubt anyone can hear the singing section very clearly either but we can all hear the away fans loud and clear

I sit block E30, so about halfway line and in upper tier and can hear the South Stand loud and clear…

• Like 1

Simple solution: Don't have a singing section, put some home fans in the Atyeo and divide it off. Don't play music until 2:45. Ignore what the stewards say. Atmosphere will build a bit more, make it more hostile for the away team, it feels too cosy for them I think.

I always remember the old Ashton Gate with the tunnel in the Atyeo the away team players trudging to the tunnel before the game and there being a bit of stick given and boo's. We make it far too comfortable.

Get Downsy off the mic as well shouting garbage for an hour before kick off. 

Allow drinking in the stands (Not a BCFC issue)

• Like 10
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Simple solution: Don't have a singing section, put some home fans in the Atyeo and divide it off. Don't play music until 2:45. Ignore what the stewards say. Atmosphere will build a bit more, make it more hostile for the away team, it feels too cosy for them I think.

I always remember the old Ashton Gate with the tunnel in the Atyeo the away team players trudging to the tunnel before the game and there being a bit of stick given and boo's. We make it far too comfortable.

The only positive of the speakers being shit in the dolman is that you don’t have to hear downsys cringey rants as loud

Nothing wrong with the atmosphere at the start of games in the South Stand.  After Nige has bored us all senseless again with turgid football and an almost compete lack of goal threat for an hour, however, it does tend to tail off quite a bit,  but its usually the case that desperation for points as we get to the latter stages is a strong motivator and the volume gets cranked up again.   

• Confused 1

The last time fans seen a home win whilst in attendance was the 25th February 2020. We haven’t won at home since January 2021. Strangely both against Huddersfield. The atmosphere has got worse since the rebuild and not being close to the away fans has an impact. But I’m pretty sure it would get a bit better if we could have a few goals and some wins . Our home form is disgraceful and it’s certainly having an affect on the atmosphere. We need a win at home for so many reasons 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

They're not wrong. 

The singing's been decent at home games so far this season tbf. 

Yeh I’m not slaying anyone in section 82 as there always trying to create an atmosphere and tbh can’t really do much more but it’s just the tinpot mentality around the club and some of our fans that’s annoying 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

9 minutes ago, SouthS22 said:

Nothing wrong with the atmosphere at the start of games in the South Stand.  After Nige has bored us all senseless again with turgid football and an almost compete lack of goal threat for an hour, however, it does tend to tail off quite a bit,  but its usually the case that desperation for points as we get to the latter stages is a strong motivator and the volume gets cranked up again.   

Not having a go or anything but seeing as you are not a fan of niges play style who do you realistically think could come here and do a better job in rebuilding the mess that’s been left ?

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

21 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I remember back when the East End was open the accepted issue was the low roof projected sound onto the pitch, and the other stands couldn't hear it even though it sounded really loud in there.

Then they moved to the back of the Williams, that was too high up with a large open area in front.

Then the Atyeo, and that was too open and too far for the noise to build and people couldn't wait for them to move away from it.

Now in the SS corner, that's not behind a goal which is apparently part of the problem.

I'm definitely not implying anything negative about the people in that area as I think they do a great job.

Personally think it's not where they are that's the problem though - it's mostly the rest of the ground. When they start the chants they need others around to join in, or maybe more "pockets" of singers spread around rather than in a big mass - although that does look great.

When well known songs get sung, even if it's City Till I Die, COYR at a corner, or back in Gary Johnson days the slightly naff "Always believe" you get all stands singing and the atmosphere is great. I find when the more "complicated" songs get sung the other stands don't join in, and it's much harder to hear.

I also reckon the football has a big impact. When it's tippy tappy sideways passing we've seen for the last X years then it's just not exciting or going to get people singing. Fast attacking football, even if it's kind of agricultural in nature, will do imo.

Defo agree about less music, or at least much quieter as it's totally deafening where I am and you can hardly hear the person next to you.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 3

The simple songs such as come on you reds or cider army can get the whole ground going. The more complicated ones are much more difficult to keep in unison or just people don't know the words. This isn't unique to city. Southampton, for example, can be a very quiet ground but saints go marching in can be very loud, reverberating around the stadium. I have noticed the away fans react to the rest of the south stand much more than section 82 as they hardly hear them.

I don’t think it’s that complicated.

Some people go to the games and love to sing - fair play to them.

Others are primarily interested in watching the football, having a chat with friends. Equally fine. 

When there’s a big, important, exciting game the latter group will join in. Sometimes even if there’s just a big moment in an otherwise ‘standard’ game.

But when you’re midtable, 6 games into a season, and drawing 0-0 with Preston - it ain’t gunna be the San Siro is it. 

It's not the be all and end all but a noisy atmosphere can help with marginal gains, especially for teams who perhaps rely on narrow margins to get over the line.

It's also nice to have, but that's a different issue- on the topic, I do think it can push the players on- might also help inspire the opposition of course so not always a given.

9 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Not having a go or anything but seeing as you are not a fan of niges play style who do you realistically think could come here and do a better job in rebuilding the mess that’s been left ?

Sorry, I couldn't resist that - just wondering how long it would take a get a response from the 'the sun shines out of Nigel's arse' fan club on here.  Not positioning you in any way on the subject, but answer - 11 mins!  Clearly quiet time because I was expecting seconds.    

Seriously though, clearly its better performances and something to get excited about that will create more noise and atmosphere and more noise and atmosphere will probably help in turn with improving performances, and so on.  From where I am though, I think we do pretty well at AG in the circuimstances to keep things buzzing - much better than a lot of other grounds I've been to for sure.   

When home performances pick up (as I'm sure they will with mr sunshine at the helm!), so too will atmosphere and even those who sit right next to the away end and wonder why they can hear them singing might be able to catch a few City songs.      

• Confused 1

51 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

The last time fans seen a home win whilst in attendance was the 25th February 2020. We haven’t won at home since January 2021. Strangely both against Huddersfield. The atmosphere has got worse since the rebuild and not being close to the away fans has an impact. But I’m pretty sure it would get a bit better if we could have a few goals and some wins . Our home form is disgraceful and it’s certainly having an affect on the atmosphere. We need a win at home for so many reasons 

Oh crap.

We don't play Huddersfield at home until December

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rob k said:

Let’s be honest a good atmosphere is generally generated when there is a Rovers, Milwall, Cardiff etc in town, it’s also better when rival fans are right next to each other. Our noisemakers are now at the other end of the ground which doesn’t help 

Exactly. The redevelopment has killed the atmosphere for this reason. I appreciate finally encouraging vocal fans via the S22 and finally acknowledging them, but their placement is terrible for atmosphere.

Too late now - but they should've given the Atyeo to home fans and put the away fans in the closest blocks of Dolman or Lansdown. That's the best solution for atmosphere IMO. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Exactly. The redevelopment has killed the atmosphere for this reason. I appreciate finally encouraging vocal fans via the S22 and finally acknowledging them, but their placement is terrible for atmosphere.

Too late now - but they should've given the Atyeo to home fans and put the away fans in the closest blocks of Dolman or Lansdown. That's the best solution for atmosphere IMO. 

It's really this simple. The Atyeo has the best acoustics,  and it's full of away fans. They should not be behind either goal. Stick em at the back of beyond somewhere. Don't say it's not possible, of course it's possible. Just do it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, SouthS22 said:

Sorry, I couldn't resist that - just wondering how long it would take a get a response from the 'the sun shines out of Nigel's arse' fan club on here.  Not positioning you in any way on the subject, but answer - 11 mins!  Clearly quiet time because I was expecting seconds.    

Seriously though, clearly its better performances and something to get excited about that will create more noise and atmosphere and more noise and atmosphere will probably help in turn with improving performances, and so on.  From where I am though, I think we do pretty well at AG in the circuimstances to keep things buzzing - much better than a lot of other grounds I've been to for sure.   

When home performances pick up (as I'm sure they will with mr sunshine at the helm!), so too will atmosphere and even those who sit right next to the away end and wonder why they can hear them singing might be able to catch a few City songs.      

Yeh not in the up niges ass fan club but if people aren’t willing to give him at least a couple seasons to try and build a squad to challenge then I don’t think they will ever be happy with who’s in charge

1 minute ago, marmite said:

It's really this simple. The Atyeo has the best acoustics,  and it's full of away fans. They should not be behind either goal. Stick em at the back of beyond somewhere. Don't say it's not possible, of course it's possible. Just do it.

Exactly it wouldn’t cost an awful lot to put a wall in a concourse to separate home and away fans , should shove them up at the end of the upper lansdown 

1 hour ago, 2015 said:

This 100% (apart from the drinking - can’t see that ever being allowed). We are such a soft touch these days it’s untrue - away fans get a whole end with no home supporters anywhere near them, placid ‘family fun Downsy’ who couldn’t whip up an egg let alone an atmosphere playing shite generic non-City songs, flags and banners banned for certain games by the owners for fear of upsetting the opposition, and a ‘singing section’ which with the best will in the world does nothing but confuse matters elsewhere in the ground and becomes unnecessarily an issue if said ‘singing section’ isn’t singing.  All relatively easily solved I’d imagine but top of the tree is away fans being moved somehow so that we can see the whites of their eyes at least. I wouldn’t be surprised if Nige isn’t enquiring about changes that could help. Marginal gains etc.  

Edited by lenred
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, SouthS22 said:

Nothing wrong with the atmosphere at the start of games in the South Stand.  After LJ has bored us all senseless again with turgid football and an almost compete lack of goal threat for an hour, however, it does tend to tail off quite a bit,  but its usually the case that desperation for points as we get to the latter stages is a strong motivator and the volume gets cranked up again.