IGNORED

Atmosphere v results

The turtle

1 hour ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Let’s be honest the fact we have an area called the “singing section” says it all . Non league clubs would be embarrassed to call a part of their ground that ( I got told by a Chippenham town fan that a singing section sounds tin pot)

Haha that’s rich from a team itself that always used to have a “singing section”. Used to have quite a good and load following actually to be fair for that standard of football back in the Darren Perrin era. Used to regularly stand next to a certain Tyrone Mings singing and shouting in the cricket ground end behind the goal while his Dad belted a few goals in

I think covid showed what an atmosphere can do (or lack of) Liverpool/Anfield were not the same prospect without fans, I seem to recall quite a few teams picking up points there, most notably Villa’s 7-2 win and a 6 game run of defeats wasn’t it?

Just now, MarcusX said:

Haha that’s rich from a team itself that always used to have a “singing section”. Used to have quite a good and load following actually to be fair for that standard of football back in the Darren Perrin era. Used to regularly stand next to a certain Tyrone Mings singing and shouting in the cricket ground end behind the goal while his Dad belted a few goals in

I think covid showed what an atmosphere can do (or lack of) Liverpool/Anfield were not the same prospect without fans, I seem to recall quite a few teams picking up points there, most notably Villa’s 7-2 win and a 6 game run of defeats wasn’t it?

Villas win was at Villa Park I’m pretty sure. 

1 minute ago, MarcusX said:

To be fair I’ve been watching Chippenham a few games a season for about 20 years and the stand where people stand and sing definitely isn’t referred to as a singing section but I get your point

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, SouthS22 said:

Sorry, I couldn't resist that - just wondering how long it would take a get a response from the 'the sun shines out of Nigel's arse' fan club on here.  Not positioning you in any way on the subject, but answer - 11 mins!  Clearly quiet time because I was expecting seconds.    

Seriously though, clearly its better performances and something to get excited about that will create more noise and atmosphere and more noise and atmosphere will probably help in turn with improving performances, and so on.  From where I am though, I think we do pretty well at AG in the circuimstances to keep things buzzing - much better than a lot of other grounds I've been to for sure.   

When home performances pick up (as I'm sure they will with mr sunshine at the helm!), so too will atmosphere and even those who sit right next to the away end and wonder why they can hear them singing might be able to catch a few City songs.      

I disagree, I remember saying in early January after a hell of a cup run (and Man City still to play) and at the top of the table the atmosphere wasn’t what it should be. You could feel a sense of nerves around the ground quite often after that Wolves game. So even when we’ve had the most successful period of the last 10 years, the atmosphere still left a bit to be desired after one bad result.

• Like 1

This post is not a moan about Pearson and the current squad.

Atmosphere only comes when there is something to trigger it. We've had three seasons before Pearson arrived, of the most boring, negative football that I can remember seeing at Ashton Gate. Even seven relegations in my time were hard to swallow but at least those players were trying to win.

So as the entertainment sank, so did our vocal involvement.

While the quality of football has been better this season, we have only scored one home goal and haven't won since January or was it February.

I and many others are hopeful that it will get better and we get wins and entertainment in home games. But it remains hope and until we get used to winning again, the crowd will thinking "What can go wrong today".

By the way, I will be at the game tomorrow, the first one since January 2020. With my luck, I'll probably see a defeat and catch the bloody Covid.

COYREDS!

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Anfield's atmosphere is the most overrated thing in football. Only lively on Champions League nights.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I disagree, I remember saying in early January after a hell of a cup run (and Man City still to play) and at the top of the table the atmosphere wasn’t what it should be. You could feel a sense of nerves around the ground quite often after that Wolves game. So even when we’ve had the most successful period of the last 10 years, the atmosphere still left a bit to be desired after one bad result.

Because that is the way it usually happens at City. Even in Cotterills champions season, we lost at home to Preston and Sheffield United! The two games we needed and wanted to win and we blew them. Just like the Wolves match just after Christmas. 1-0 up against ten men and we fxxxxd up. Our goalie got sent off, Pack didn't put the ball in Row ZZ and we lose with last kick.

I've seen it all before and since. 1960 fighting relegation, Atyeo put City 2-1 up with one minute to go.

Final score City 2 Huddersfield 3. Two weeks later we are down.

1989-90 we are strolling to the Third Division championship only to blow up and give it to the renters in Bath.

We are a medium to large club in waiting. Always overtaken by the rest like Burnley, Leicester, Stoke, Southampton, Fulham, QPR, now Brentford and would anyone bet on Ipswich making it back to the Prem before us?

• Like 1

Once I started sampling club football overseas, which coincided with the EE being demolished, I realised quite how passionless English football fans generally are, and I lost my love for it. One of the biggest reasons for this I feel is a lack of affinity with clubs. Too much money involved. 

Since the Eastend went its got worse. The embarrassingly named singing section hasn’t got that it about it. @Welcome To The Jungle you go abroad and see how free fans are then come back here and have to go to meetings to talk about putting a flag up in the Dolman and after months get told its no. Edge has gone about the place songs have become pc in a football stadium!! Its all so nice is a reason it becomes all so quiet. Don’t try an edgy chant in the Dolman only woke chants now while sat. Cant see it changing unless City tear the league up and cant see a fans group having the clout to push things forward again like open the EE.
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

Cant see it changing unless City tear the league up and cant see a fans group having the clout to push things forward again like open the EE.

That’s not going to happen. The EE is long gone.

Ideally City fans should be in the Atyeo where any noise is generated outward and can be heard all over AG but the police want the Atyeo for away fans only for easier exiting.

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

Ideally the singing section should behind either goal, preferably the Atyeo where the away fans often make such a din but A&S police won’t allow it as they want the away fans to exit the stadium via the Winterstoke Rd.

Apologies Robbored, but I’m not sure your post makes sense? Do away fans really exit our stadium via Winterstoke Road? Doesn’t walking out of the Atyeo Stand take one onto Ashton Road? In any case, The South Stand empties loads onto Winterstoke Road, as does The Lansdown - so why would the police not allow our fans into another stand that you say is for away fans to exit onto Winterstoke Road? 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lenred said:

This 100% (apart from the drinking - can’t see that ever being allowed). We are such a soft touch these days it’s untrue - away fans get a whole end with no home supporters anywhere near them, placid ‘family fun Downsy’ who couldn’t whip up an egg let alone an atmosphere playing shite generic non-City songs, flags and banners banned for certain games by the owners for fear of upsetting the opposition, and a ‘singing section’ which with the best will in the world does nothing but confuse matters elsewhere in the ground and becomes unnecessarily an issue if said ‘singing section’ isn’t singing.  All relatively easily solved I’d imagine but top of the tree is away fans being moved somehow so that we can see the whites of their eyes at least. I wouldn’t be surprised if Nige isn’t enquiring about changes that could help. Marginal gains etc.  

Nail on the head. Nothing against Downsy as a person, I'm sure he's a lovely guy. In my opinion he's not cut out for the job. Doesn't sound right and has no genuine passion. It needs to be a real fan who does that job that understands the culture of football crowds.

It sounds rather crass basically saying someone else could do a better job - but I'd be lying if I didn't admit that's how I think about it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Apologies Robbored, but I’m not sure your post makes sense? Do away fans really exit our stadium via Winterstoke Road? Doesn’t walking out of the Atyeo Stand take one onto Ashton Road? In any case, The South Stand empties loads onto Winterstoke Road, as does The Lansdown - so why would the police not allow our fans into another stand that you say is for away fans to exit onto Winterstoke Road? 

The away fans are essentially ’kettled’ in Atyeo after the final whistle and not allowed to exit until all the home fans have left. They then depart either to their cars or coaches. It’s entirely a police decision to reduce the possibility of trouble.

Should have a presence of home fans behind both goals, even Reading can manage it but it's a myth IMO to state that the Atyeo has great acoustics.

They're alright and probably the best of the 4 stands but not fantastic in their own right.

Secondly how well does sound travel around the ground, around modern grounds generally? Answer is, not fantastically. How well you can hear either the away fans or our Standing area depends to some extent on where you are in the ground.

Thirdly, in modern times the following holds true:

*Away fans will stand in large numbers often.

*The more you have standing, the more likely to sing etc.

*Home areas are allocated a small % for this purpose whereas a good chunk of away fans stand verbatim.

*This absolutely puts the home fans at a disadvantage in a lot of cases.

Because there once a year easier to manage it pragmatically, they won't sit, whereas home fans on databases, ST holders etc. Is fairly universal though maybe not 100%.

There are so many reasons for the supposed lack of atmosphere especially since the redevelopment.

1. The turgid football we've had to endure for home games since promotion back. three sided ground in the first season back followed by safety first and try to snatch it up until this season, playing like an away team and constantly under threat of conceding. Very few games have been inspirational to lift the atmosphere, with a few exceptions.

2. The hirarchy at this club don't really want a singing section, they want middle income earners that pay top dollar and behave themselves. That's why the singing were shunted from pillar to post, with no area in the new Atyeo, then to one side, then the EE then to the other side, then one end of the Williams and so on, ending up slotted into the corner where they can be policed/viewed, however you want it. The noise won't naturally make others join in to the Dolman side because it's separated by a wall and there's a gap with gangway at the other side.

3. The people of Bristol are reactive, as opposed to proactive due to their more reserved nature. We've always been the same, outsung by more fervent supporters from anywhere North and East of Gloucester, as well as Wales and Portsmouth. There have been notable exceptions but generally we're more reserved.

4. Many won't like this next one but, the best noise is created when there is a flat sloping upwards roof. Unlike the old East End, which had a roof which made any noise stay mostly within the area of the East End. Very loud when you're in it but, hardly audible from half way up the pitch. 

5. Away fans make more noise because they're the more fanatical supporters that can be bothered to follow their team around the country. The same applies to our fans at away grounds.

6. The argument for the Atyeo being poor acoustics has been blown out of the water by the away support proving it can be noisy. The problem we had was because of No;2, we had allocated seating in the Atyeo and as such a dispersed group of singers, much like our trip to Wembley against Hull, when everyone was dispersed and Hull decided to group their singers in the centre section. Our admin decided to let ticket master decide who sat where. Decisions are taken purely on finance and not what helps the team. 

7. In my opinion, we need to have the whole of the South Stand allocated for singers, or at least the centre sections, allowing and encouraging those adjacent to join in when suitably aroused, as used to happen occasionally in the East End. What a sight and noise that was when it sometimes spread around the corner and into the enclosure.

8. So in short, remove allocated seating in the South Stand, improve the football and take off the reserved shackles around our throats. It really would help if we had a little sustained success, like that in the 80's after 1982. Something to make us really proud and be able to pump our chests up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Should have a presence of home fans behind both goals, even Reading can manage it but it's a myth IMO to state that the Atyeo has great acoustics.

They're alright and probably the best of the 4 stands but not fantastic in their own right.

Secondly how well does sound travel around the ground, around modern grounds generally? Answer is, not fantastically. How well you can hear either the away fans or our Standing area depends to some extent on where you are in the ground.

Thirdly, in modern times the following holds true:

*Away fans will stand in large numbers often.

*The more you have standing, the more likely to sing etc.

*Home areas are allocated a small % for this purpose whereas a good chunk of away fans stand verbatim.

*This absolutely puts the home fans at a disadvantage in a lot of cases.

Because there once a year easier to manage it pragmatically, they won't sit, whereas home fans on databases, ST holders etc. Is fairly universal though maybe not 100%.

Agree with you.   The acoustics at Ashton Gate have never been great.   The Dolman was just plonked on the side when first built - they've put seats in front of it but it sound doesn't resonate around  the stadium.    Most of the sound just floats into the sky - there's no low roof to reflect sound waves back into the arena.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

2. The hirarchy at this club don't really want a singing section, they want middle income earners that pay top dollar and behave themselves. oats. It really would help if we had a little sustained success, like that in the 80's after 1982. Something to make us really proud and be able to pump our chests up.

Not sure that middle income earners don't sing.  

Rugger b*ggers are more likely to be in that category and they can't stop singing African American spiritual songs.   Never watched egg chasing down the Gate myself - do they sing Swing Low?

6 minutes ago, Rich said:

7. In my opinion, we need to have the whole of the South Stand allocated for singers, or at least the centre sections, allowing and encouraging those adjacent to join in when suitably aroused, as used to happen occasionally in the East End. What a sight and noise that was when it sometimes spread around the corner and into the enclosure.

8. So in short, remove allocated seating in the South Stand, improve the football and take off the reserved shackles around our throats. It really would help if we had a little sustained success, like that in the 80's after 1982. Something to make us really proud and be able to pump our chests up.

The atmosphere at Ashton won’t change until those two points you have made are used .

Even when the atyeo had home fans standing it was always less than 50% home fans in that stand .

The only way the atmosphere will get better is when the south stand is made unreserved just like how pretty much every other championship club has fans stood behind the goal, if they can manage it so can we  no excuses 

• Like 1

Just now, Daniro said:

Rugger b*ggers are more likely to be in that category and they can't stop singing African American spiritual songs.   Never watched egg chasing down the Gate myself - do they sing Swing Low?

In my experience they sing songs at rugger about dicky dido's and fairy lights. I was more referring to behavioral patterns. Where the robust working class singers would also be a bit less well behaved and possibly as a result, putting off people that will pay a little more for a nicer environment to bring their wives, sisters, daughters and grandchildren.

10 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

The only way the atmosphere will get better is when the south stand is made unreserved just like how pretty much every other championship club has fans stood behind the goal, if they can manage it so can we  no excuses 

Spot on but it won’t happen. The club would have a raft of complaints from angry SC holders losing their seats.

It might get be an option to offer those SS SC holders access to the south stand but with unreserved seating.

Edited by Robbored

11 minutes ago, Daniro said:

NO. More likely to sing Drink up thy zider or Blackbird but only after the game.

The Chant of Bristol, Bristol again and again can get quite atmospheric at times. Even at Bears games, there are too many there just for the "Afternoon/evening" out and lots of beer. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Spot on but it won’t happen. The club would have a raft of complaints from angry SC holders losing their seats.

It might get be an option to offer those SS SC holders access to the south stand but with unreserved seating.

I think you are right unfortunately, maybe if the club was to grow a set of balls and try to sort the atmosphere issue out they could offer those who still want to sit at games a cheaper deal in other stands

I've said this many times on the topic of atmosphere..its not the ground its the people in it, the ground was the same against the Manchesters, nothing wrong with the atmosphere on those nights, everyone was up for it and created a great atmosphere, the majority of City fans for the majority of games are just not up for it, been the same for years, people used to say the Atyeo was no good but now want it back. I would say that unreserved seating/standing in the SS would possibly help but would never happen. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

The last time fans seen a home win whilst in attendance was the 25th February 2020. We haven’t won at home since January 2021. Strangely both against Huddersfield. The atmosphere has got worse since the rebuild and not being close to the away fans has an impact. But I’m pretty sure it would get a bit better if we could have a few goals and some wins . Our home form is disgraceful and it’s certainly having an affect on the atmosphere. We need a win at home for so many reasons 

Ah, bollocks. We don't play them at home again until December.

Edited by JamesBCFC

6 hours ago, Trueredsupporter said:

Atmospheres turgid since the redevelopmenmt and of course that matters but not for all my son sadly binned watching city as its boring now. The Dolman is now dead deceased 100% for atmosphere. fans doing more!! fans got told one game by the stewards they couldnt sing and if they wanted to do so should go in the singing section. weclome to the new world attack more please City because if you dont its a library as the away fans kindly remind us every home game.

To be fair the atmosphere was crap most of the time for the last 30 years ive been going, the redevelopment has nothing to do with it at all.  If the games good, and we are playing well, then the atmosphere is great, if the game is poor and we are playing poor it’s rubbish, that’s just the way it is.  The atmosphere at the Man Utd game in the newly developed ground was immense, so that proves that the atmosphere can be great in the new ground

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, IAmNick said:

I remember back when the East End was open the accepted issue was the low roof projected sound onto the pitch, and the other stands couldn't hear it even though it sounded really loud in there.

Top venue that. 

An amp of stand.

Brilliant to now. 

And some may never get that. 

Bristol Sport won't.  

Then they moved to the back of the Williams, that was too high up with a large open area in front.

Not that good back in the day alone  .. Good clobber mind.

No choice but move.

Rubble was behind the goal.

Tiny v the Eastend.

No amp.

Then the Atyeo, and that was too open and too far for the noise to build and people couldn't wait for them to move away from it.

Then the Atyeo that was never a draw v the Eastend for the right sorts. 

5 hours ago, IAmNick said:

Now in the SS corner, that's not behind a goal which is apparently part of the problem.

Christ. 

The progress that proper chaps wanted to avoid. 

An embarrassment to lad culture. 

• Like 1