IGNORED

Atmosphere v results

The turtle

• Admin
5 hours ago, the red rules said:

I have noticed the away fans react to the rest of the south stand much more than section 82 as they hardly hear them.

Sitting in E34, believe me you rarely hear anything apart from the away end down that end of the ground 

Certainly not the South stand 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

NO. More likely to sing Drink up thy zider or Blackbird but only after the game.

The Chant of Bristol, Bristol again and again can get quite atmospheric at times. Even at Bears games, there are too many there just for the "Afternoon/evening" out and lots of beer. 

BARISTOL clap clap clap, was a regular chant in the East End early 70s. As you would know.

As posters have mentioned you need short songs to get the whole ground involved.

Am sure though however the football is going on the pitch, if were involved at the top or bottom of the league come March the atmosphere will be electric 

Half way up will no doubt be pretty flat.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 2015 said:

Simple solution: Don't have a singing section, put some home fans in the Atyeo and divide it off. Don't play music until 2:45. Ignore what the stewards say. Atmosphere will build a bit more, make it more hostile for the away team, it feels too cosy for them I think.

I always remember the old Ashton Gate with the tunnel in the Atyeo the away team players trudging to the tunnel before the game and there being a bit of stick given and boo's. We make it far too comfortable.

Get Downsy off the mic as well shouting garbage for an hour before kick off. 

Allow drinking in the stands (Not a BCFC issue)

Allow drinking is a terrible idea. People will be leaving seats and coming back all game!

• Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, 2015 said:

Why does it work so well abroad then? Safe standing should also be added to the list really to aid it.

No idea but I don't want to be standing up all game to let people out or have View blocked by people standing in front. Pretty bad now.

6 hours ago, 2015 said:

Simple solution: Don't have a singing section, put some home fans in the Atyeo and divide it off. Don't play music until 2:45. Ignore what the stewards say. Atmosphere will build a bit more, make it more hostile for the away team, it feels too cosy for them I think.

I always remember the old Ashton Gate with the tunnel in the Atyeo the away team players trudging to the tunnel before the game and there being a bit of stick given and boo's. We make it far too comfortable.

Get Downsy off the mic as well shouting garbage for an hour before kick off. 

Allow drinking in the stands (Not a BCFC issue)

Funnily enough I have as thinking of posting about the 'singing section'.

I think they should do away with it.   Much better when these fans were spread out amongst all the stands.  Far more likely get others to join in.

As for the OP's question there have been innumerable interviews with players and managers that have said what a positive impact the crowd can have.  

3 hours ago, Daniro said:

Agree with you.   The acoustics at Ashton Gate have never been great.   The Dolman was just plonked on the side when first built - they've put seats in front of it but it sound doesn't resonate around  the stadium.    Most of the sound just floats into the sky - there's no low roof to reflect sound waves back into the arena.

That put it more technically than me but yes, agreed.

1 hour ago, Spoonbed said:

Can remember the game against Chesterfield under GJ- terrible run of results, but for some reason the whole ground was up for it, and made for a (rare) cracking atmosphere, which I’m sure helped the players to raise their game for a victory. 

Let’s hope it’s something similar tomorrow night. 

We lost the game but yes fans were up for it, and those who stayed to the end when 4-1 down those that stayed made a real racket.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Bit of a double edged sword the atmosphere and fans bit.

Lack of crowds can also help those sides perhaps who are more counterattacking, a bit of a leveller- with less fan pressure to get forward they can execute it quite well. Aston Villa can be quite a counterattacking side, possibly one of the few who benefited from a lack of fans in some ways.

3 hours ago, Rich said:

There are so many reasons for the supposed lack of atmosphere especially since the redevelopment.

1. The turgid football we've had to endure for home games since promotion back. three sided ground in the first season back followed by safety first and try to snatch it up until this season, playing like an away team and constantly under threat of conceding. Very few games have been inspirational to lift the atmosphere, with a few exceptions.

Has it been turgid verbatim? Rather recall 2017/18 being quite good for large chunks...2016/17 had a mix of some high scoring and low scoring let's say, 2018/19 was quite reactive but with shot dominance.

2. The hirarchy at this club don't really want a singing section, they want middle income earners that pay top dollar and behave themselves. That's why the singing were shunted from pillar to post, with no area in the new Atyeo, then to one side, then the EE then to the other side, then one end of the Williams and so on, ending up slotted into the corner where they can be policed/viewed, however you want it. The noise won't naturally make others join in to the Dolman side because it's separated by a wall and there's a gap with gangway at the other side.

Potentially yes, potentially no.

4. Many won't like this next one but, the best noise is created when there is a flat sloping upwards roof. Unlike the old East End, which had a roof which made any noise stay mostly within the area of the East End. Very loud when you're in it but, hardly audible from half way up the pitch. 

Not sure about this one.

5. Away fans make more noise because they're the more fanatical supporters that can be bothered to follow their team around the country. The same applies to our fans at away grounds.

Agreed.

6. The argument for the Atyeo being poor acoustics has been blown out of the water by the away support proving it can be noisy. The problem we had was because of No;2, we had allocated seating in the Atyeo and as such a dispersed group of singers, much like our trip to Wembley against Hull, when everyone was dispersed and Hull decided to group their singers in the centre section. Our admin decided to let ticket master decide who sat where. Decisions are taken purely on finance and not what helps the team. 

5 feeds into 6 and perhaps 7 and 8. As you say in modern times it is quite universal, but you also neglect to add that it is much easier to enforce all-seater with regular season ticket holders than it is with away fans who arrive once a year. If a decent contingent of away fans wish to stand, they will- and if standing they are more likely to be noisy.

It does not travel all that well, the sound. I read a post, might have been on here back in 2015 first game back at this level under Cotts vs Brentford- Atyeo was split of course, and there was an interesting post that stuck in the mind- a Brentford fan said he could see our lot signing, making noise etc but couldn't especially hear them.

7. In my opinion, we need to have the whole of the South Stand allocated for singers, or at least the centre sections, allowing and encouraging those adjacent to join in when suitably aroused, as used to happen occasionally in the East End. What a sight and noise that was when it sometimes spread around the corner and into the enclosure.

With singing often comes standing, to what extent is it in our hands and to what extent is it in the hands of the Safety Advisory Group etc? % of capacity would be allowable given the Licensing conditions of all-seater etc- whereas the away end has few such difficulties because if a decent sized contingent of away fans there once a year decides that they will stand then that is what they will do and it's seen as a pragmatic approach, applies I expect at many grounds up and down the country.

8. So in short, remove allocated seating in the South Stand, improve the football and take off the reserved shackles around our throats. It really would help if we had a little sustained success, like that in the 80's after 1982. Something to make us really proud and be able to pump our chests up.

Can't remember off hand but I am sure there is something about % of capacity cut for unreserved seating. My knowledge of this could be outdated now granted?

In the 80's, you're not comparing like with like as such either- this was from a very low base, working back up- the only way was up in a sense, and TC did great things, but this was in the 3rd tier where we've always been a bigger fish- although that said I think the football at home has been reasonable this season...up to a point, that point being goals and results! Have no complaints with performances or effort so far however.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

People have complained about atmosphere at AG for as long as I remember. The truth is that the ground is capable of generating a great atmosphere, but it only really happens for the bigger games or when we are dominating an opposition.

From my experience in the SS it can be quite decent, and is certainly no worse than it was for the last few years before the rebuild, though it is never going to reach the heights of the old terrace days.

This season there has been some improvements, the dropping of Seven Nation Army and Downsy no longer regales us with "the players are in the tunnel....." bullshit immediately before the players come out for a start.

S82 do their best, but are not ideally situated for the rest of the ground to hear them, not sure it's called the singing section any more? It certainly is a bit of a tinpot name for it.

As one final thing, there is a fairly new song, to a tune you hear at a lot of sporting events these days, which contains a line something like "if you're not red and white stay out of town tonight" or something (I forget) but nobody around me has a clue what it is apart from that line - could anyone from S82 enlighten me please?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Wiltshire robin said:

To be fair I’ve been watching Chippenham a few games a season for about 20 years and the stand where people stand and sing definitely isn’t referred to as a singing section but I get your point

Interestingly same here, went home and away every game for several years since about late 90s just before the Wembley cup run (and then played for the club too) and definitely heard it called that by some.

I was obviously jesting anyway, there's a big difference between a non league club having a "singing section" and a second tier side. We shouldn't need one little corner of the ground singing, you'd hope all areas joined in

11 hours ago, Robbored said:

The away fans are essentially ’kettled’ in Atyeo after the final whistle and not allowed to exit until all the home fans have left. They then depart either to their cars or coaches. It’s entirely a police decision to reduce the possibility of trouble.

Well this isn't true either, after the Swansea game they let everyout out the same time. I exited the Lansdown with my Dad and had to walk towards the station surrounded by them

8 hours ago, Super said:

No idea but I don't want to be standing up all game to let people out or have View blocked by people standing in front. Pretty bad now.

Isn't that more likely to happen in the current setup? If you can drink at your seat you'd just buy a couple and have them with you til half time

At the minute people need to leave 10 mins before HT to beat the queue - and if they don't drink during the game will potentially drink more before and end up going to the toilet more often

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We lost the game but yes fans were up for it, and those who stayed to the end when 4-1 down those that stayed made a real racket.

Christ, shows how bad my memory is!

It did feel like a turning point though if I remember correctly 

2 hours ago, MarcusX said:

I was obviously jesting anyway, there's a big difference between a non league club having a "singing section" and a second tier side. We shouldn't need one little corner of the ground singing, you'd hope all areas joined in

Yeh that’s a good point 

I went for the first time this season last home game and the little redevelopments around the ground are starting to look good . The cricket stand behind the goal looks alot better than most non league grounds

4 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

Atmosphere is dire, like many have said it doesn’t help when some of the songs are too complicated, or the embarrassing “bounce around” cringe fest.

Seemed to me, that during the 80's, 90's, and early 2000s, the songs remained pretty similar all the time, and most people knew and joined in with them.

You can pretty much guarantee that the only song that everyone will join in with now, is when the pressure is building up for us to score and the whole ground belts out "come on you reds".

At some point, and I don't know if it was influence of trying to be like the European Ultras, or whether we just want to be seen as different, a number of new songs have been introduced that a fair few of our fans just don't know. For example, there's a song currently being sung with the words (or words to the effect) of "don't go out tonight unless your red and white..." - or something along those lines..........I've no idea about the rest of the lyrics. Then theres the other end of the scale where theres the most depressing chant, along the lines of "Ooooooh Bristol City, lala la la, oooo, lala la la oooo" over and over again. It's really flat and uninspiring.

I sit in the middle of the South Stand, and believe it or not, songs do start off from there, but when they get to the singing section, I never hear the singing section joining in with them. Whether that's because they're currently wrapped up in their own songs I've no idea. It just seems to me that section is trying too hard to be different.

I've no problem with the singing section and there atmosphere, they give it a good go, it just doesn't fit in with the rest of our fans.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, beaverface said:

Seemed to me, that during the 80's, 90's, and early 2000s, the songs remained pretty similar all the time, and most people knew and joined in with them.

You can pretty much guarantee that the only song that everyone will join in with now, is when the pressure is building up for us to score and the whole ground belts out "come on you reds".

At some point, and I don't know if it was influence of trying to be like the European Ultras, or whether we just want to be seen as different, a number of new songs have been introduced that a fair few of our fans just don't know. For example, there's a song currently being sung with the words (or words to the effect) of "don't go out tonight unless your red and white..." - or something along those lines..........I've no idea about the rest of the lyrics. Then theres the other end of the scale where theres the most depressing chant, along the lines of "Ooooooh Bristol City, lala la la, oooo, lala la la oooo" over and over again. It's really flat and uninspiring.

I sit in the middle of the South Stand, and believe it or not, songs do start off from there, but when they get to the singing section, I never hear the singing section joining in with them. Whether that's because they're currently wrapped up in their own songs I've no idea. It just seems to me that section is trying too hard to be different.

I've no problem with the singing section and there atmosphere, they give it a good go, it just doesn't fit in with the rest of our fans.

Absolutely spot on… totally agree

6 hours ago, richwwtk said:

People have complained about atmosphere at AG for as long as I remember. The truth is that the ground is capable of generating a great atmosphere, but it only really happens for the bigger games or when we are dominating an opposition.

From my experience in the SS it can be quite decent, and is certainly no worse than it was for the last few years before the rebuild, though it is never going to reach the heights of the old terrace days.

This season there has been some improvements, the dropping of Seven Nation Army and Downsy no longer regales us with "the players are in the tunnel....." bullshit immediately before the players come out for a start.

S82 do their best, but are not ideally situated for the rest of the ground to hear them, not sure it's called the singing section any more? It certainly is a bit of a tinpot name for it.

As one final thing, there is a fairly new song, to a tune you hear at a lot of sporting events these days, which contains a line something like "if you're not red and white stay out of town tonight" or something (I forget) but nobody around me has a clue what it is apart from that line - could anyone from S82 enlighten me please?

To the tune of bad moon rising. 

I see the east end rising, 

I see there's trouble on the way, 

Don't go out tonight, 

Unless you're red and white

There's the east end on the rise. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I remember ‘City til’ I die ‘booming out around the ground,the few Chesterfield fans looked absolutely gobsmacked.The next home game was Huddersfield,I think,and if ever a crowd willed a team on to win this was it,cracking atmosphere,and a2-1 win if I Remember correctly,mind you I could be wrong ?.

• Like 1

On 14/09/2021 at 23:58, Mr Popodopolous said:

Bit of a double edged sword the atmosphere and fans bit.

Lack of crowds can also help those sides perhaps who are more counterattacking, a bit of a leveller- with less fan pressure to get forward they can execute it quite well. Aston Villa can be quite a counterattacking side, possibly one of the few who benefited from a lack of fans in some ways.

Has it been turgid verbatim? Rather recall 2017/18 being quite good for large chunks...2016/17 had a mix of some high scoring and low scoring let's say, 2018/19 was quite reactive but with shot dominance.

Potentially yes, potentially no.

Not sure about this one.

Agreed.

5 feeds into 6 and perhaps 7 and 8. As you say in modern times it is quite universal, but you also neglect to add that it is much easier to enforce all-seater with regular season ticket holders than it is with away fans who arrive once a year. If a decent contingent of away fans wish to stand, they will- and if standing they are more likely to be noisy.

It does not travel all that well, the sound. I read a post, might have been on here back in 2015 first game back at this level under Cotts vs Brentford- Atyeo was split of course, and there was an interesting post that stuck in the mind- a Brentford fan said he could see our lot signing, making noise etc but couldn't especially hear them.

With singing often comes standing, to what extent is it in our hands and to what extent is it in the hands of the Safety Advisory Group etc? % of capacity would be allowable given the Licensing conditions of all-seater etc- whereas the away end has few such difficulties because if a decent sized contingent of away fans there once a year decides that they will stand then that is what they will do and it's seen as a pragmatic approach, applies I expect at many grounds up and down the country.

Can't remember off hand but I am sure there is something about % of capacity cut for unreserved seating. My knowledge of this could be outdated now granted?

In the 80's, you're not comparing like with like as such either- this was from a very low base, working back up- the only way was up in a sense, and TC did great things, but this was in the 3rd tier where we've always been a bigger fish- although that said I think the football at home has been reasonable this season...up to a point, that point being goals and results! Have no complaints with performances or effort so far however.

Are you a school teacher? I feel like my post has been dissected and marked accordingly.

Your first response questions whether the football has been turgid. This is obviously a matter of opinion, I believe that for the majority of Lee Johnson reign, he set up to still be in the game for 60 minutes and then try and affect it with an inspired substitution. If it worked great and we only remember the last period of the game, walking away happy. There were exceptions, WBA springs to mind but generally it was dull as dishwater, in mine and I believe the majority of peoples opinion. It's taking a long time to correct that situation

Second response, seems to be slightly grey, as in, I don't know what your "possibly" refers to.

Third response about the noise travelling from the E E. Without meaning to be patronising, sound travels in waves, like water. If there is an object in it's way, it will bounce off of it. The E E roof is somewhat like an umbrella, as such, the noise will hit the roof and bounce back down with obviously some noise travelling directly out from under the roof, it has to escape somewhere. With a flat upwards sloping roof, the noise (sound waves) will hit it and travel further. I remember going in the E E as a youth in the late 60's and through the 70's, it always sounded loud and, I'm certain the players within the box were suitably intimidated by it at corners and free kicks. From other parts of the ground, much less so. I remember looking from the uncovered end and seeing hands clapping in unison (obviously chanting) but very little if any noise. I hate saying this but, The old Tote end with about 300 gasheads in it, was always audible from the uncovered end, due to the way the sound bounced off the roof. The same is said about the Atyeo, as in your reference to Brentford. If the fans and yourself are making noise, you're less likely to hear others, especially those projecting sound in the same direction as you, when adjacent. Believe me, there is no acoustic problem from the Atyeo stand. 

As for not comparing like for like "either" in the 80s, what's the either for? I didn't realise I had to compare like for like when I posted. I was referring to a sustained period of success and the atmosphere being good during that period, a period we've never experienced before, in the way of two promotions, two Wembley finals and a league cup semi final , within a six year period. We've had similar periods of poor atmosphere coinciding with poor results on many occasions, regardless of the level we were playing at.

I also didn't realise I had to mention about enforcing all seater stadia with S C holders. I was referring initially to when the Atyeo was first opened and the club decided to have allocated seating, I don't think it was compulsory, not sure it is now, though I might be wrong. I was merely suggesting a way, that in my opinion would improve the atmosphere, by allowing the more fervent supporters to gather centrally and, help our team, by creating a better vibe. Currently, the singing section is located in a corner of the ground, separated by a wall between supporters in the Dolman, a gangway adjacent to the SS, a gangway and vomitories within the section and a large structure meaning supporters stand either side of it. In fact, there could not be a more divisive position for the singing section, in my opinion, most probably deliberate. Fair play to them though, as they still make themselves heard, despite the obstacles.

Better more exciting football, will improve the atmosphere, failing that, better results.

Edited by Rich
addition

On 15/09/2021 at 10:31, beaverface said:

Agreed.

For example back in the 80s, the lot I went with, we would always belt out the Tom Thumb song. Everyone sang and got behind it, quite often in a pub outside the away ground we went to.

Was a real rallying call to City fans, and sounded bloody good when you got a few singing it. Miss all that nowadays.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

It's true, atmosphere = results. This is why we look down upon the Few but look up to Bournemouth. 

You go to away grounds with a bit of edge - the Old Den, Molyneux etc and it really is a 12th man. Work takes me around the country and everyone speaks of Bristol City as being a “quiet lot”. Why is it?

Sure the new AG ground is relatively crap for atmosphere but why? One of my views is that there are a lot of “happy clapper/tourist City fans” nowadays, but ST sales are still good? Many go every home game.

The club lacks a bit of passion IMO and that translates through the team at times. Funny old game.

1 hour ago, Tin Soldier said:

You go to away grounds with a bit of edge - the Old Den, Molyneux etc and it really is a 12th man. Work takes me around the country and everyone speaks of Bristol City as being a “quiet lot”. Why is it?

Sure the new AG ground is relatively crap for atmosphere but why? One of my views is that there are a lot of “happy clapper/tourist City fans” nowadays, but ST sales are still good? Many go every home game.

The club lacks a bit of passion IMO and that translates through the team at times. Funny old game.

It’s because our louder fans are shoved out the way in a small corner whilst the away fans get a whole end behind the goal . 

It was the same when our fans were in the atyeo not long ago yet again we were only given a small portion of the stand . It won’t change until section 82 has a whole end behind a goal but the clubs to soft and cosy to allow it to happen .

Whilst I agree atmosphere at AG is pony post redevelopment, Ive found this is the same as many other grounds I've been to recently (or certainly nowhere near as good as in the 00's).
I've noticed it on telly and radio, although agree it is difficult to get a true picture from these and also thought a lot of the away fans at AG have also been quiet.
I believe that the clientel at football as a whole has changed and is the reason for this. Maybe I'm wrong or maybe it's not that simple.

As for original question I can't see how anyone doesn't appreciate that a good atmosphere = better performance.
I also don't get the "well give us something to get excited about" argument. Do you think they wait for that at St Pauli, Marseille, Fenerbahce or Boca? No they just get singing from the word go and if they score, all the better.

I've also seen people on here saying "I'm too busy studying the game to sing".
WTAF??? You telling me you can't clap 3 times and say "Cit-y" whilst still concentrating on the game? Or say "Red Army" once every 3 seconds for a bit?
You do realise if you did it would help the team you want to win and make you look far better as a crowd to visiting sides?

Also, you may think "Oooooh Bristol City" is cack, great, but if it means you can't hear the opposition coz we're singin' it then just sing it!