IGNORED

3 years of mostly uninspired, low scoring, and non-winning football from City at Ashton Gate

Nogbad the Bad

We know all about City's terrible current home run but it's nothing new really, the results have been pretty awful at AG now for at least 3 seasons, and now continuing in to a 4th.

Over those 3 seasons, plus the first 3 home games this season, City have played 72 home league games.

18/19  Played 23  W8,  D8, L7   Goals scored 28 Goals against 26

19/20 Played 23  W8, D7,  L8  Goals scored 29  Goals against 32

20/21 Played 23  W7, D3,  L13 Goals scored 18  Goals against 30

21/22 Played 3    W0, D2  L1   Goals scored  1     Goals against  2 

Overall record Played 72  W23 D20 L29  Goals scored 76  Goals against 90

We've failed to win almost 50 home games in those 3 years (so in most of those cases will have left the ground frustrated and/or disappointed.)

We've been outscored on our own pitch each season but 1 - and that was close - and have only scored just over an average of 1 goal per game, and overall the away teams have scored 14 more goals than City.

Just 19 City goals to celebrate in our last 26 home games.

The entertainment for 3+ years has on the whole been poor, the exciting games, imo, few and far between. Even some of the 23 we've won have been largely completely forgettable when it comes to excitement.

Yet people question a lack of atmosphere and decreasing crowds?

It's meant to be entertainment, and if that's not to be, it's a huge consolation is at least to go home with a hard fought scrappy win to celebrate more often than not.

There's been a paucity (poor City?) of either wins or excitement at AG for far, far too long.

In the same period, our away record is: Played 72, W30 D13 L29 Goals scored 96 Goals against 103.

So we've won 7 more games on the road than at AG, lost the same number home and away, and scored 20 more goals on our travels.

Not too bad an away record at all, and just as well - but it's the performances and results at Ashton Gate that set the mood of most City fans and in those respects there's been a long term depression lasting several years.

27 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Absolutely we've been awful at home for the past three seasons, not sure anybody would disagree.

At least the green shoots are beginning to show this season (on only three games admittedly) and hopefully the goals and results are not going to be too far behind.

Lets hope so. City were unfortunate to concede so late against Blackpool. Had the whistle gone 30secs earlier it would have been three points.

A win tonight and hopefully that’ll be turning point in our home form.

I think you have to add in the 2nd half of 2017/18 season from and including the Wolves game as for me that is when the decline started; would it have been different if Fielding hadn't got sent off to make it 10-a-side?

17/18   Played 11   W4  D4  L3   Goals scored  22  Goals against  17

18/19  Played 23  W8,  D8, L7   Goals scored 28 Goals against 26

19/20 Played 23  W8, D7,  L8  Goals scored 29  Goals against 32

20/21 Played 23  W7, D3,  L13 Goals scored 18  Goals against 30

21/22 Played 3    W0, D2  L1   Goals scored  1     Goals against  2 

Overall record Played 83  W27 D24 L32  Goals scored 98  Goals against 107  [Home win% 32.5]

At least that 2nd half of 2017/18 had some goals including the 3-3 against Sunderland & 5-5 vs Hull.

Its a sorry state of affairs but I feel the corner is being turned!

17 minutes ago, headhunter said:

That's how I'm feeling - light at the tunnel's end,,,green shoots,,,corners being turned - say it how you will...

Having said this I'm battening the hatches for a 'mini meltdown tonight if 'fate' transpires.....

My meal break at work tonight is 8.45 - 9.45 - OTIB may be spicier than my madras!!!!

11 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

That's how I'm feeling - light at the tunnel's end,,,green shoots,,,corners being turned - say it how you will...

Having said this I'm battening the hatches for a 'mini meltdown tonight if 'fate' transpires.....

My meal break at work tonight is 8.45 - 9.45 - OTIB may be spicier than my madras!!!!

Just have the Massengo Madras or the Weimann Vindaloo!

26 minutes ago, headhunter said:

I think you have to add in the 2nd half of 2017/18 season from and including the Wolves game as for me that is when the decline started; would it have been different if Fielding hadn't got sent off to make it 10-a-side?

Overall record Played 83  W27 D24 L32  Goals scored 98  Goals against 107  [Home win% 32.5]

At least that 2nd half of 2017/18 had some goals including the 3-3 against Sunderland & 5-5 vs Hull.

Thats interesting re Fielding - what could have been etc.  Looking back though, the whole thing - the squad, LJ, MA, the 'run' -  was almost a house of cards and perhaps the collapse needed to happen to expose the flaws in the pack (from which we are still recovering from).

7 minutes ago, Super said:

The main problem is that we aren't adventurous at home, I want to see us go at teams, We seem to set up not to lose the game. 

Lee Johnson's football philosophy from his infamous power-point presentation that no doubt secured him the job with the impressionable SL:

lEE JOHNSON PHILOSOHY.png

8 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

Thats interesting re Fielding - what could have been etc.  Looking back though, the whole thing - the squad, LJ, MA, the 'run' -  was almost a house of cards and perhaps the collapse needed to happen to expose the flaws in the pack (from which we are still recovering from).

The house collapsing last season was what happened Dave - essentially down to Ashton/Rolls and LJ and their combined ineptitude on three different fronts and the club is currently paying the price. No football club can flourish with three senior staff not being upto the job - it was inevitable that it would all go tits up.

It’s taken Nige and latterly RG to stabilise the club by recruiting experienced players and of course backroom staff such as Rennie.

Given time Nige and RG will do a good job for us.

Agree that the home form has been atrocious. There's probably a strong argument to suggest that across the last few years we've been one of the worst sides in the league at home (at least relative to squad strength).

Last season AG certainly became an "easy day out" for opposing teams. It was unbearable. Even if the wins are yet to follow, we are now at least providing more resistance to away teams. We now play at a decent intensity and aggression, and you actually have to beat us - we won't just politely allow teams to stroll through us in 2nd gear.

The improvement in performance should breed an improvement in results, which in turn may reinvigorate the home support. It was a bit depressing hearing that the AG attendance was below 18k this weekend, and equally we've been not been seen as a loud home crowd for some time. In fairness though, it's hard to blame people for their lack of singing/attendance when you're losing at home to a bottom third team having had no shots for 70 minutes!

I'd be filled with pride to see AG become a fortress for us. A place with a loud home crowd, a place where City play on the front foot, and a place where other teams fear playing. For now though, I'd settle for being bang average at AG and simply being able to win a few games there - baby steps!

11 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

We know all about City's terrible current home run but it's nothing new really, the results have been pretty awful at AG now for at least 3 seasons, and now continuing in to a 4th.

Over those 3 seasons, plus the first 3 home games this season, City have played 72 home league games.

We've failed to win almost 50 home games in those 3 years (so in most of those cases will have left the ground frustrated and/or disappointed.)

We've been outscored on our own pitch each season but 1 - and that was close - and have only scored just over an average of 1 goal per game, and overall the away teams have scored 14 more goals than City.

The entertainment for 3+ years has on the whole been poor, the exciting games, imo, few and far between. Even some of the 23 we've won have been largely completely forgettable when it comes to excitement.

It's meant to be entertainment, and if that's not to be, it's a huge consolation is at least to go home with a hard fought scrappy win to celebrate more often than not.

There's been a paucity (poor City?) of either wins or excitement at AG for far, far too long.

In the same period, our away record is: Played 72, W30 D13 L29 Goals scored 96 Goals against 103.

So we've won 7 more games on the road than at AG, lost the same number home and away, and scored 20 more goals on our travels.

Not too bad an away record at all, and just as well - but it's the performances and results at Ashton Gate that set the mood of most City fans and in those respects there's been a long term depression lasting several years.

Absolutely spot on @Nogbad the Bad. We have had sod all to get excited about in home games since the matches with Man U, Wolves and Man City about four years ago. Downhill all the way since then with at least a bottoming out this season. We cannot go any lower with home form (lack of wins), so at least the only positive thing (home wins) is to come.

51 minutes ago, 2015 said:

If that is our Home statistics, this is our away statistics. 

17/18: W6, D10, L7 - 28 Points, -4 GD 
18/19: W11 , D5 , L7   - 38 Points ,+5 GD
19/20: W9, D5, L9  - 32 Points, -5 GD
20/21: W8, D3, L12 - 27 Points, -10GD

Lucky our away form has been pretty good.

5 minutes ago, Super said:

Lucky our away form has been pretty good.

The concern is since 18/19 the points return has been dropping, but this season we have started again very well away from home. 

We really do need to improve the home form and get a win tonight

11 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I blame Lee Johnson. 

I think I was reading the other day that we had picked up more points away from home in the Championship than any other team over the last three seasons. Obviously that's partly because teams with good away records tend to get out of the division! I get to more away games than home games so I can't complain but a home win tonight really wouldn't go amiss...

I think of the seasons, 18/19 had some positive spells at home and some negative ones.

The two seasons that followed were largely terrible of course.

17/18 at least though things kinda collapsed after that Wolves game we still saw some decent scoring games and wins.

Thusfar, I think that performances have been good at home albeit the goal return is lacking.

Away from home in recent years, more goals and points- thinking the prior 2 maybe 3 seasons, it's easier to be reactive or counter pressing, it's more likely to yield goals, less expectation, pressure to set the tempo and so on. Accept that we're more positive home and away this year.

4 hours ago, headhunter said:

The 22 City goals scored in those 11 home games was my reason for not including the 2nd half of the 17/18 season in my calculations.

We can't really complain about an average of 2 City goals per home game & 22 goals in total (that's 22 occasions to jump out of your seat, let off steam, get excited, and celebrate - remember that!?) in 11 matches when bemoaning City being so low scoring at home was part of the thinking behind starting the thread.

That would equate to 46 City goals at AG in a season - in fact it was 41 that year, but either way a veritable goal glut compared with the paltry returns of the 3 seasons to follow.

Yep, the corner does appear to be being turned under Nige now and I look forward to City not only winning a home game asap - that would be a great start - but really hammering someone at AG to send the fans home exultant for once.

16 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The 22 City goals scored in those 11 home games was my reason for not including the 2nd half of the 17/18 season in my calculations.

We can't really complain about an average of 2 City goals per home game & 22 goals in total (that's 22 occasions to jump out of your seat, let off steam, get excited, and celebrate - remember that!?) in 11 matches when bemoaning City being so low scoring at home was part of the thinking behind starting the thread.

That would equate to 46 City goals at AG in a season - in fact it was 41 that year, but either way a veritable goal glut compared with the paltry returns of the 3 seasons to follow.

Yep, the corner does appear to be being turned under Nige now and I look forward to City not only winning a home game asap - that would be a great start - but really hammering someone at AG to send the fans home exultant for once.

Every home game I say to the chaps next to me - a win would be great, and wouldn’t it be nice to win a game comfortably.  I’m not gonna say it tonight!!!

10 hours ago, headhunter said:

Ever since that bloody Wolves game.. 

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Every home game I say to the chaps next to me - a win would be great, and wouldn’t it be nice to win a game comfortably.  I’m not gonna say it tonight!!!

I think I need a three goal cushion going into added time to feel a bit comfortable. And then I'm never really that comfortable until I can satisfy myself that it's going to take the opposition longer to score x times than there are seconds left. So 3-0 up with 2 mins of added time to go - still bit nervous. 3-0 up with 1 min to go - in 'can't blow it now' mode. 3-0 up with 30 seconds to go 'how sh1t must you be, we're winning at home' can be sung confidently.

27 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I think I need a three goal cushion going into added time to feel a bit comfortable. And then I'm never really that comfortable until I can satisfy myself that it's going to take the opposition longer to score x times than there are seconds left. So 3-0 up with 2 mins of added time to go - still bit nervous. 3-0 up with 1 min to go - in 'can't blow it now' mode. 3-0 up with 30 seconds to go 'how sh1t must you be, we're winning at home' can be sung confidently.

yeah always hated the your not singing anymore when we go 1up. Tempting fate.

Archived