IGNORED

Luton Town home match-day thread

2 hours ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Could be seen as a bit of a must win with regard to finally getting an elusive home win.

Next 2 home games after this are Fulham and Bournemouth - 2 very challenging fixtures.

Fail to win tonight and it could well be another month or so without a win at home ?

We’ll that’s cheered me up ?

• Haha 1

Pleased I can watch this on Robins TV as I would never make it in time from where I live.

We are close to clicking at home and I think a couple of changes are in the making, possibly Dasilva and Scott to come in for Bakes and King but not much in the way of changes to playing staff.

Im going for a 3-0 win, HNM getting better by the match and I would like to see a run out for Tanner..

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, M.D said:

Pleased I can watch this on Robins TV as I would never make it in time from where I live.

We are close to clicking at home and I think a couple of changes are in the making, possibly Dasilva and Scott to come in for Bakes and King but not much in the way of changes to playing staff.

Im going for a 3-0 win, HNM getting better by the match and I would like to see a run out for Tanner..

Massengo gonna score tonight I reckon. And if not, it’s coming soon for sure .

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Good day fellow Reds. Might need my hard hat after this appears.

Tonight at 745 pm it’s Luton Town under the lights at home. The match day programme is here: https://robinstv.bcfc.co.uk/digital-matchday-programme/

Those with Sky Sports can watch live on the Red Button.

The first of four consecutive games, in two weeks, against teams in and around London. Luton is in Bedfordshire and about 37 miles from London.

I know it’s somewhat old hat but our unenviable failure to win at home now stretches to 13 matches. For the record, and in anticipation of winning tonight, between 26 January to today, there have been 232 days, that’s 7 months and 20 days.

The performance against PNE was IMO a bit underwhelming, however, NP (who seemed pleased by our application on Saturday) has hinted that there are not likely to be any changes.  I would like to see Wells starting and if he does I think we will see a cap-tivating performance from him.

Luton Town Football Club was founded in 1885 and moved to Kenilworth Road in 1905, they are nicknamed “The Hatters.” If you are, by any odd chance, interested in the history of the hat industry in Luton then English Heritage have published this: https://historicengland.org.uk/images-books/publications/hat-industry-luton-buildings/hat-industry-luton-and-buildings/

They reappointed Nathan Jones as their manager in May 2020, just 16 months after he’d left Luton to join Stoke City. Stoke sacked the Welshman in November 2019 after he’d won just six of 38 games in charge.

Their assistant manager Mick Harford (who played for us in the early 1980’s) is a Luton Town legend, he is currently fighting prostate cancer, which is the most common cancer in men, but most men with early prostate cancer don’t have symptoms. For more on this including a 30 second prostate health checker see: https://www.lutontown.co.uk/news/2021/july/mick-interview/

Currently we are both on eight points with both teams recording two wins, two draws and two defeats, we’ve scored seven they’ve notched eight and we’ve conceded seven while they’ve let 10 in. The head-to-head stats are equally close, both teams having won 22 games and there have been 17 draws. Based on this a draw seems the most likely outcome. However, although I don’t expect a hatful of goals, I’m going for a 2-1 home win with Nahki Wells scoring our winner oh and just saying, Luton have scored twice this season in the 98th minute, so at the end of the game I hope we are not eating our hats, much prefer us to be taking our hats off to NP and the team.

Luton may well be forced into changes with Allan Campbell, Admiral Muskwe, Fred Onyedinma, Amari’i Bell and Jordan Clark probably rated as doubtful. Elijah Adebayo missed the Blackburn game due to illness but my have recovered enough to take part this evening.

To cap it off here’s some (kind of) related quiz questions; hats off to you if you get them all right.

1 What substance is associated with the phrase ‘as mad as a hatter?’

2 What was the name of the UK gents outfitters which started by selling hats? (It was founded in 1887 and ceased trading in 1996.) Clue, the Bristol branch is now a Costa Coffee.

3 What accent did the Mad Hatter have?

4 What hat do you associate with the comedian who was on the Board of Luton Town in the 1970’s?

5 Which sport first coined the term ‘hat trick?’

6 What was the Luton Town record released in 1973 called?

7 Complete the following words which all start with Hat

- A model of car

- A tool used for chopping wood

- Baby birds

8 Who wrote the song ‘You can leave your hat on?’

9 Which sort of hat is associated with Che Guevara?

10 Panama hats are made and originated in which South American country?

11 What is the origin of the expression ‘throwing your hat in the ring?’

12 A classic chef's hat has how many folds?

Will post the answers after the game.

And finally a dad joke involving a hat. I was in a bar in Texas, when a man walked in wearing a paper cowboy hat, a paper shirt, paper jeans, paper socks and paper boots.

In next to no time the Sheriff burst in and arrested him for rustling.

COYR! 

Fantastic post and a cool quiz! I’ve always liked an additional question - which two clubs are nicknamed the Hatters? Obviously one is Luton Town ...

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, lukebcfc1989 said:

I had this feeling also but Bet 365 have not got Massengo even listed in their bet builder odds....So I have settled for £5 on Chris Martin to score 2 goals with City winning both halfs and winning by 2 or more goals at the final whistle.

Have a feeling we will hand out a pasting tonight, Birmingham steam rolled them a few weeks back and with the fans we will do them im sure.  

I’ll have a pint of whatever you’re having chap ?

Just now, JonDolman said:

Very sensible going with the one change. Massengo in form but is a central midfielder so moving him where he is best. Scott gives us more creativity and we lacked that in the previous game.

Semenyo stays as a dangerous weapon off the bench. I wasn't really expecting many changes.

I suppose the only other change might have been Dasilva for Baker.

• Like 1