IGNORED

Luton Town home match-day thread

It’s difficult isn’t it.

I honestly don’t know the answer.

The squad is the squad assembled by the club. 

Just a clueless operation over the last 3 years.

I have to still believe in Pearson because I do not know the alternative solution.

But let’s not sugar coat this evening.

It was woeful. Very bad.

• Like 1

I actually thought we were much better tonight in attack than vs Preston, but much worse in defence.

That said, the squad clearly has its limitations and maybe we should all be chuffed that we've only lost twice this season out of 7 games.

I'm guessing Pearson's comments will be that we're a work in progress. 

44 minutes ago, pillred said:

If we carry on in the same vein performance and results wise at home I can see crowds plummeting, I know it's no guarantee of better results to sack the manager but I'm really beginning to doubt Nigel Pearson is a good fit for our club.

Chris Hughton will be available again soon, maybe we should go for him ?

• Haha 2
33 minutes ago, petehinton said:

How the **** they only scored 1 is a real mystery 

Exactly! They had five golden opportunities in the first half...Ok three of them came in quick succession, but we could have been 0-3 at HT easily! But there we are it wasn't but talking with my mate @Southport Redhe predicted we would be pushed/fall further and further back after our goal and so it was....Not sure what to think right now, as I feel I could predict outcomes during games from what has gone before and obviously others do too! 

The lad on radio Brizz who said it was/is unwatchable is making a point about the last two games. We have been lucky at the back and can't create enough clear cut chances....I like the idea of building a solid team, from the back, but we are still not really that solid, luckily we have a goalkeeper that can keep us in games, thank goodness.

The one thing I will say is that we need a leader thats further up the pitch. But who....James maybe....but no one was geeing up the players around them....Many payers looked flat to me. I predicted Scott was coming off when Wells was stripping as he couldn't get in the game, but I also predicted Semenyo to come on...

I just feel like we do have a monkey on our back as a squad now, which is not helped by the stop them mentality, but the fact is we didn't stop them, they just missed a hatfull of gilt edge chances!

Edited by REDOXO
1 hour ago, Dan Robin said:

INMO we were playing OK, not sitting deep...so it's really frustrating (even if they deserved something from this match honestly).

So much work thrown away in an action.Shame.

Being sat along the 25 yard area in the dolman I can confirm we did sit back and got deeper and deeper. Could clearly see when Luton got the ball around halfway the defence dropped to our 18 yard line and the midfield (bar Massengo) dropped to 20 yards. 

enjoy Massengo this season guys because there is no way we’re keeping him beyond next summer, far too good for us. 

• Like 1

If I was a Luton fan I would have been gutted to not come away with something from that and go back there.

We simply were not good enough tonight. 

Really frustrated aswell that I've seen quite a few sides against us now just pick the ball up in midfield and knock it to either wing with ease. We play very narrow , and alot of teams exploit it easily.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, xerox6060 said:

Boring,  was probably the main adjective that hit home to me too from my evening out ...thats not good ..

It wasn’t good obviously but it was so much better than a year ago and that string of games when we had no shots on target or any attacks with purpose.

Things are very slowly improving - but I agree it doesn’t make it much fun right now.

1 minute ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

It wasn’t good obviously but it was so much better than a year ago and that string of games when we had no shots on target or any attacks with purpose.

Things are very slowly improving - but I agree it doesn’t make it much fun right now.

It’s an improvement, but only to the extent that a colonoscopy might be considered an improvement to, say, losing an arm. 

• Haha 2

Tonight was awful though.

Slow and ineffectual all over the pitch.

If we would have lost 3-1 you couldn’t have had any complaints.

It was turgid to watch.

We can debate all night about how and why Lansdown and Ashton led us here and how we try to move forward but tonight was pathetic.

We didn’t lose 3-1 because they hit the woodwork twice and missed 2 sitters in front of goal.

• Like 2

A draw at home to Luton isn't the end of the world, and the same can be said of our other failures to win at home this season. When you look at it collectively though, you'd really be expecting a win or 2 from Blackpool, Swansea, Preston and Luton.

I'm still confident in saying that we're notably better than we were last season, and I'm still not worried about relegation. Would just be great to get the monkey off our backs at home and inject a bit more positivity into AG.

Very disappointing tonight though.

Just now, INCRED said:

We lost it in midfield this evening and failed to pick up second balls or show any indication of changing this, they were more physical and we could quite easily have lost this by 3 or 4 

They were more physical AND showed more energy I thought. Not good being second best on both those fronts. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Supersonic Robin said:

A draw at home to Luton isn't the end of the world, and the same can be said of our other failures to win at home this season. When you look at it collectively though, you'd really be expecting a win or 2 from Blackpool, Swansea, Preston and Luton.

I'm still confident in saying that we're notably better than we were last season, and I'm still not worried about relegation. Would just be great to get the monkey off our backs at home and inject a bit more positivity into AG.

Very disappointing tonight though.

I completely agree with your summary as of now but a couple of defeats could change my mind and two tough games coming up now.

1 minute ago, INCRED said:

We lost it in midfield this evening and failed to pick up second balls or show any indication of changing this, they were more physical and we could quite easily have lost this by 3 or 4 

I actually disagree with that and thought we won lots of second balls. I just thought Luton were better than us when they did have possession, just like I thought Preston showed more quality than us with the ball.

Be interesting to see which opinion the stats back up.

I don’t think I will ever need to change my profile picture. It’s been in place since Gary Johnson. 

It is baffling how we can bring whole new squads into this club year after year and yet manage to instil a capacity to concede late to gift points to opponents at home. 

Edited by tommy_b
  • Like 6
45 minutes ago, INCRED said:

Exactly. I was thinking along the same lines. For all of us knowing we need to be more aggressive in midfield we were simply not in the last two home games. The midfield looks tidy enough and runs around a lot as do the others, but the determination and out right grit you need to collect second balls was lacking today. 

For all the Massengo plaudits and all his attributes he can’t shoot or add an assist. Thus there is an increased burden to players that are pretty docile to begin with. Nonetheless I’m not sure I always feel the same at away games. 

2 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Look on the bright side, 3 of the next 4 games are away!

Any chance of the club offering away season tickets? 

1 hour ago, bris red said:

Worrying attendance to be fair.

I know three people who are City members who bought tickets in the Dolman for only £10 each. It’s obviously a good plan by City to sell more tickets, when there are two matches in a week against teams who aren’t that exciting, but without this sort of incentive the gate would obviously be even lower