IGNORED

Any IT techies on here?

phantom

• Admin

Does anyone have any idea what would cause a laptop to show all these screens blank like below please?

First pic was a previously populated excel document

Second pic - right click menu

Third pic is task manager

The final picture is the file manager screen

Quite a lot of very important information normally on the laptop - so would be very grateful for any advice please

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

4.PNG

• Admin
1 hour ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Have you tried a hard reboot or installed any new applications recently?

Could be a compatibility issue with a program that's running.

Nothing new that I am aware of, but it is a shared laptop, assume a "hard reboot" would mean losing everything on the laptop?

1 hour ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Could try uninstalling whatever firewall you are running also.

Will look into this

1 hour ago, TomF said:

I would say that's your display driver, probably try removing, restarting and see if it fixes

I have no idea how this is done?

1 minute ago, phantom said:

Nothing new that I am aware of, but it is a shared laptop, assume a "hard reboot" would mean losing everything on the laptop?

Will look into this

I have no idea how this is done?

Start > Control Panel > Device Manager > Display Adapters. Expand on that section and you'll probably see one listed, right click on it and select uninstall.  Reboot and it'll probably reinstall it. 

I'd concur, start with the display driver.

Zero harm in removing it as Tom has suggested. Windows should just reinstall it on a reboot.

You could look at System Restore - should take you back to a point in time when it was working fine. Control Panel>Recovery>Configure System Restore>System Restore and follow the onscreen steps. Roll it back a few days or to the closest date you know it was working ok.

A full reset of Windows should be the last resort. There are ways to do this and keep your personal files but it probably means needing to reinstall any applications that weren't on it when it came out of the box.

• Admin
19 hours ago, TomF said:

Start > Control Panel > Device Manager > Display Adapters. Expand on that section and you'll probably see one listed, right click on it and select uninstall.  Reboot and it'll probably reinstall it. 

19 hours ago, Gazred said:

I'd concur, start with the display driver.

Zero harm in removing it as Tom has suggested. Windows should just reinstall it on a reboot.

You could look at System Restore - should take you back to a point in time when it was working fine. Control Panel>Recovery>Configure System Restore>System Restore and follow the onscreen steps. Roll it back a few days or to the closest date you know it was working ok.

Thank you for everyones assistance, I have passed on the advice to the person who currently has the laptop

The only thing I would add to the above is that when we click on the START button the options are blank - as per original post

On 16/09/2021 at 10:00, phantom said:

Thank you for everyones assistance, I have passed on the advice to the person who currently has the laptop

The only thing I would add to the above is that when we click on the START button the options are blank - as per original post

You could try restarting the laptop in "safe mode" which I think installs default drivers for basic operation, then you may be able to follow the instructions given. Getting to safe mode varies from laptop to laptop, but you should be able to find how through google.

Archived