IGNORED

Ticket Prices - Attendances

Just interested on thoughts on our ticket prices? 

I was going to drag a mate down tonight but £30 is the cheapest ticket so he didn’t bother.

Im sure economists have run the numbers, but a walk up price of £30 seems a lot of money.

Is this just the way it is for 90 minutes of football?

It’s been that way for a while now, the walk up price with no membership seems a bit steep.
It’s a difficult one as we would certainly get more of the interested now and again fans come along, especially evening games where there are a lot of people who play at weekends are around.

But then you can’t make it too cheap or a season card wouldn’t be worthwhile. I usually miss about 5 or 6 games a season for various reasons meaning I pay about £30 a game. And many are in the same boat.

7 minutes ago, Cannybluff said:

If you buy membership the ticket is only a tenner tonight... I know this means that the cost is 37 quid, but you do then get £5 off each subsequent game... plus there are some other benefits to membership. 

Agreed, the membership is pretty good, if you take advantage of the offers like tonight plus 2 or 3 other games and you’re in credit 

It’s a difficult one. Based on what I’ve read in here the membership sounds pretty good for those fans who don’t have a season ticket. 

But ticket prices must off-putting for the people who might want to go to games on a very casual basis. I was talking to someone I know this week - he’s not a City fan (he’s from Italy) but would like to go to the odd game and is definitely not interested in seeing the fewers. But equally he doesn’t want to become a member. Similarly, one of my best friends isn’t a “fan” as such, but he has taken his kids to the odd game and would make a snap decision to go (he lives near the ground) if it was cheaper. 

I remember the “quid a kid” games in the past - maybe the club could identify one or two games a season where the walk up price is cheaper (£20?) and heavily advertised. Maybe this is happening already and I’ve missed it. 

I never understand why clubs price fans out like this.

Surely 23,000 fans paying £25 a ticket + the extra food, drink, merchandising is better than 17,000 paying £30.

It's just whether the £5 decrease would tempt 6,000 extra? Maybe not.

We'd need to get 20,400 paying £25 to get the same income as 17,000 paying £30.

Obviously these are rough figures not including the extra policing/stewarding that would need to be accounted for.

2 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

According to Sky Sports the attendance was 16878.

Looked less than that though.

Yepp, attendance felt depressingly low tonight, bordering on embarrassing.

I recall us averaging over 21k a few years ago. Real shame to see us struggle to get 17k now.

In fairness, I suppose it's hard to blame people given the sh1tshow last season and the current winless run at home.

38 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Yepp, attendance felt depressingly low tonight, bordering on embarrassing.

I recall us averaging over 21k a few years ago. Real shame to see us struggle to get 17k now.

In fairness, I suppose it's hard to blame people given the sh1tshow last season and the current winless run at home.

Add to that covid and inflation.

For those, like me, who live a long way away from Bristol, £30 is only the beginning;  Need to add in travel, meals, overnight stay etc.  OK if the football entertainment was indeed entertaining a couple of matches a season might be financially possible but my last visit was about 4 seasons ago - Millwall.  It was dire.  A very similar performance to this evening’s.

Until the football improves this is one long term supporter who won’t be coming anytime soon.  And I saw my first match 70 years ago.

Awful thing to say but with awful Championship football I think it will take return to ‘Third’ Division before I see AG again. Maybe I never will

PS For £8 and a seat in the stand, excellent locally sourced coffee, I get to see my local team in the Isthmian League.  Bonus is the manager is the grandson of a proper City winger of my youth, Wally Hinshelwood.

I’ve been complaining for years about the disgusting prices Lansdown sets - particularly for people to sit in the stand he named after himself. It explains why it’s always so painfully empty, despite being our shiniest, newest stand. £43, or £38 with a membership, to sit anywhere in our ground is disgraceful.

Also bought a pint at the ground last night for the first time this season, £4.80 with a season ticket discount for a typically crap flat pint… never again.

Talking about this last night, £30-40 is too much. I was disappointed they didn't do something with season card prices, a few teams dropped prices as a gesture. Then they could have lowered general prices. I know with a membership there were £10 tickets available, which makes a membership sensible, but Dolman/wings for Fulham is £30 for a member and £35 non member. I was in 2 minds about renewing this year, but the social side of it won me over. My ticket works out about £25 a game. If I didn't have a SC I wouldn't pay the £43 they want for the same ticket. COVID etc has impacted on a lot of people, 16,000 is poor when you think of how we had built up to regular 20,000 crowds. It's harder to win fans back, and if you need around £80 with ticket/travel/food/drink that is even harder.

2 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Also bought a pint at the ground last night for the first time this season, £4.80 with a season ticket discount for a typically crap flat pint… never again.

When the ground was finished and reopened, we used to go in early. The beer was cheaper and the fan park was good too. Now they've put prices up, there are no tables or chairs, why would you want to go in when you can stay in the pub with more comfort and cheaper beer?

They have dropped a bollock with their pricing and attitude towards fans IMO.

I thought last night was one of two games where you could buy a ticket for £10?

With the decision to put it on Robins TV, the red button on Sky & Champions League now starting, midweek gates are going to be really low (Blackburn had 9000 on Tuesday) unless there is a radical re-think of pricing.

Last night’s gate was basically ST holders & Luton fans & I know of several of them (including my father at 80) who watched from home rather than drive across the city or use the park & ride.

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I thought last night was one of two games where you could buy a ticket for £10?

With the decision to put it on Robins TV, the red button on Sky & Champions League now starting, midweek gates are going to be really low (Blackburn had 9000 on Tuesday) unless there is a radical re-think of pricing.

Last night’s gate was basically ST holders & Luton fans & I know of several of them (including my father at 80) who watched from home rather than drive across the city or use the park & ride.

No it wasn't Preston was though.

2 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

It was.

"Bristol City members yet to purchase their tickets are reminded they can do so for £10. This offer is applies to seats in the South Stand, Dolman Wings or Family Area."

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/wednesday-night-football-at-ashton-gate/

ffs i paid more than i should have! 

With the game on TV/Red button I can see it's an easy decision for many.
From my own perspective....
I can drive, as I did last night. Means I only have a one beer and I have to park, not always easy now, 20 minute walk to the Coopers . 
I can catch the bus, possibly an hour from Fishponds depending on traffic, then I usually walk from the centre half an hour. Half an hour back to the Centre, wait for the Bus, another half an hour . Probably home about 11:30.
Or I can stay home and watch on TV. 
It's only the fact I've already paid for the ticket that forces me to get my ass off of the sofa. You add £40 to the above , before a couple of beers and some food , another £20 ? Why would you bother ?

Archived