IGNORED

Is it time to admit.....

BasSavage88

If we had hired somone else that people wernt that keen on. Would they be happy with 4 wins in 7 months. 

Pearson is a managerial dinosaur and the proof is in the performances on the pitch. 

Defended by the people on here that would have been happy with the many other managerial dinosaurs that float around these league doing **** all year after year 

Edited by BasSavage88

13 minutes ago, BasSavage88 said:

If we had hired somone else that people wernt that keen on. Would they be happy with 4 wins in 7 months. 

Pearson is a managerial dinosaur and the proof is in the performances on the pitch. 

Defended by the people on here that would have been happy with the many other managerial dinosaurs that float around these league doing **** all year after year 

So we would have gone down last season if it went on for a few more games. NP managed to steady the ship whether you like it or not. He is also in charge now whether you like it or not. Performances on the pitch this season have been far better than last season or have you forgot already? Championship is and has been for a while a game of small margins and a bit of luck unless you pay your way out with parachute payments or moneyballing or whatever. We need to realise that we might not be a playoff contender for a couple more seasons.

We aren't a club that will throw money at it and I dont think we will see another Manager/Coach get the same budget LJ did. We don't have a given right to be fighting at the top end, we did that for a 2 / 3 seasons and we couldn't sustain it. Now we have to start again and the positives are; we have a young decent crop of players coming through, we got rid of a lot of dead weight and reduced the wage bill a fair amount. We are seven games in and only two defeats and in those two defeats we were by no means poor.

Let's not overreact to every single defeat or draw we get to teams we deem worse than us.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, BasSavage88 said:

"Pearson is a managerial dinosaur" - what a load of gibberish. He is 58 ffs, and managed in the PL and championship. What exactly is dinosaur about him?

You are having a 'mare here Bas im afraid

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

26 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

"Pearson is a managerial dinosaur" - what a load of gibberish. He is 58 ffs, and managed in the PL and championship. What exactly is dinosaur about him?

Am I? The facts are we currently have a manager who has won 4 games since February and who's only defense from everyone seems to be is it isn't as shit as it was. 

We don't score, we sit back and we play a big man up top 

Just now, BasSavage88 said:

Am I? The facts are we currently have a manager who has won 4 games since February and who's only defense from everyone seems to be is it isn't as shit as it was. 

Who would you choose then? 

Which manager would you pick to come in and do a better job under the constraints Pearson is working with?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BasSavage88 said:

Yes you are. You offer nothing constructive, nor do you seem to understand the constraints he has to work with. Its far too early to make knee jerk reactions. Who is going to do a better job and is currently available?

46 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

As did his playing namesake, he's literally falling over himself to look foolish. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Not at all , throughout our history we have always fell between the champ and league one so us being in the championship is just standard

We've had a lot more in Div 3 than in Div 2, eg between 1932 and 1965 we were in div 3 in all but 2 seasons, and in the time between Alan Dicks leaving (1980) and Gary Johnson's promotion team (2007) we only had 5 seasons in the 2nd tier, the rest were in the lower divisions. Why do people on here have it in for the Lansdowns after all they've done for the club, they're by far the best owners in the 50+ years I've been watching the team?

14 hours ago, BasSavage88 said:

Pearson just isn't the man for this. It's easy to blame Ashton etc but this team, the way we play and the mentality is ******* dire and doesn't seem to be improving.

I wouldn't be too upset to see him gone anytime soon 

Thanks Bas for this post and for raising your head above the parapet.  

I'm not sure whether you're right or not, but I think its important to continue having this debate on an ongoing basis, rather than just accept the view that the sun shines out of Pearson's backside.  Any questionning of that view on here tends to get derided, scourned and shouted down.  There are good reasoned arguments given by some about why they don't agree with your perspective, but  there is also a lot of regular excuses chucked out and not a little bit of lemming like behaviour that's based on a decision having been made some time ago that he's the right man and that therefore everyone must follow over the cliff edge no matter what.   

Personally, I just don't know whether or not Pearon's making enough progress to warrant patience and more time.  And its not just a little bit of patience that is required right now.  

I do see some positive signs - we are fitter, tougher, more resilient (at set pieces at least), changes are made quickly when things are not going well, and there's seems to be a better attitude and more application from the team.  He's trimmed the squad and we've bought in two or perhaps three players who look decent/have potential.  It's also the case that this is a tough job for many reasons and that there is little merit in changing managers every 6 months rather than giving them a proper chance to make an impact.      

At the same time, however, the manager role is the most critical at the club and its been a painful experience being a City supporter since Pearson's been in that role.  The football is pretty turgid, team selections are based on who the favourite is at any given time and what's happened  in the last game rather than any kind of tactical analysis or game plan, I can't see evidence of a Plan B in terms of game approach, and we lack the confidence or belief in ourselves to keep playing and asserting ourselves through 90 minutes.  These are some big failings where I would have expected more progress from a good manager, or at least from a manager who is a good fit at our club. 

Key to success for me is continally looking for improvements, and this is an area where big improvement is needed.  Whether that's a matter of time and we need to hold on for a big longer, I remain undecided, but that fence is looking more unstable by the game.        

16 hours ago, Dredd said:

I’m so so tired of rebuilding. We’ve been doing it since the season Flint Bryan and Reid were sold. It’ll mean HNM will have to be off to fund it, maybe a couple of the youngsters, maybe Semenyo, when these are the players we should be building around. I just don’t see where the funds come from for a rebuild, unless it’s going to be freebies and promotion within. 

This has been the case for the close on 60 years ive been watching  unfortunately get it right at the back one year nothing upfront .tmThen good upfront  Tammy etc and crap at the back but thats Bristol city .

Just now, RobintheRed Red said:

This has been the case for the close on 60 years ive been watching  unfortunately get it right at the back one year nothing upfront .Then good upfront  Tammy etc and crap at the back but thats Bristol city .

Just now, BasSavage88 said:

So you can only critisise people of doing a poor job if you can find a replacement? 

He can't be shit at his job becuase I don't know who his replacement would be? 

It’s not that tbh. It’s the fact that with the amount of repetitive bellyaching you have managed since last night you should have some sort of clue by now who you want in.

However, no point arguing but here’s one for you to swallow……however much you bellyache Stevie Boy ain’t shelling out the dosh to sack Nige and get a replacement in. Get used to it.

Just now, Numero Uno said:

It’s not that tbh. It’s the fact that with the amount of repetitive bellyaching you have managed since last night you should have some sort of clue by now who you want in.

However, no point arguing but here’s one for you to swallow……however much you bellyache Stevie Boy ain’t shelling out the dosh to sack Nige and get a replacement in. Get used to it.

Why do I have to know who his replacement would be? 

2 minutes ago, BasSavage88 said:

That wasn't your point though. 

No but it is fact regardless of what my point was. He ain’t paying and whilst you are entitled to your opinion obviously it won’t change anything. Nige is staying so by my reckoning may as well get behind him and see what happens.

Edited by Numero Uno

7 hours ago, BasSavage88 said:

Pearson is a managerial dinosaur and the proof is in the performances on the pitch...

Why is Pearson a ‘managerial dinosaur’? What do you mean by that? Presumably you think we should go for a younger guy, erroneously seen as being more modern and progressive? Someone like the current Mackems boss? 

11 hours ago, The Journalist said:

To give an example now - I don’t think for a second playing four centre-backs  at home to Luton would be Nigel’s preference. No way. And I suspect he’s knowingly not picked his “best” team there. But that back four has also just kept a clean sheet off the back of a good display at Cardiff - what message does that send to an entire group if you’re going to just tear it up?

Because this isn’t about beating Luton at home - this is about putting us in a position to get promoted in 1/2/3 years.

I was having that exact discussion on twitter after Saturday when many were bemoaning Baker’s selection, with pre-match or in hindsight.

Nige is setting the culture for success, showing them what it takes.  As you say it’s not about Luton it’s about the next 2-3 years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SouthS22 said:

Thanks Bas for this post and for raising your head above the parapet.  

I'm not sure whether you're right or not, but I think its important to continue having this debate on an ongoing basis, rather than just accept the view that the sun shines out of Pearson's backside.  Any questionning of that view on here tends to get derided, scourned and shouted down.  There are good reasoned arguments given by some about why they don't agree with your perspective, but  there is also a lot of regular excuses chucked out and not a little bit of lemming like behaviour that's based on a decision having been made some time ago that he's the right man and that therefore everyone must follow over the cliff edge no matter what.   

Personally, I just don't know whether or not Pearon's making enough progress to warrant patience and more time.  And its not just a little bit of patience that is required right now.  

I do see some positive signs - we are fitter, tougher, more resilient (at set pieces at least), changes are made quickly when things are not going well, and there's seems to be a better attitude and more application from the team.  He's trimmed the squad and we've bought in two or perhaps three players who look decent/have potential.  It's also the case that this is a tough job for many reasons and that there is little merit in changing managers every 6 months rather than giving them a proper chance to make an impact.      

At the same time, however, the manager role is the most critical at the club and its been a painful experience being a City supporter since Pearson's been in that role.  The football is pretty turgid, team selections are based on who the favourite is at any given time and what's happened  in the last game rather than any kind of tactical analysis or game plan, I can't see evidence of a Plan B in terms of game approach, and we lack the confidence or belief in ourselves to keep playing and asserting ourselves through 90 minutes.  These are some big failings where I would have expected more progress from a good manager, or at least from a manager who is a good fit at our club. 

Key to success for me is continally looking for improvements, and this is an area where big improvement is needed.  Whether that's a matter of time and we need to hold on for a big longer, I remain undecided, but that fence is looking more unstable by the game.        

We're 12th. If you don't think that warrants patience then I'm not sure what you were expecting?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BasSavage88 said:

Aww edgy! Throw some names into the mix and share your wisdom, easy to bait on a forum and not offer anything.