IGNORED

Is it time to admit.....

BasSavage88

5 hours ago, lukebcfc1989 said:

He is still having a look in my opinion giving what we have a chance.  

This is a great point. I do think he feels we might have some good youngsters who may be worth giving a proper try this season.

If he doesn't feel they are delivering and needs to make signings, at least he will know he gave them every chance.

23 hours ago, BasSavage88 said:

Pearson just isn't the man for this. It's easy to blame Ashton etc but this team, the way we play and the mentality is ******* dire and doesn't seem to be improving.

I wouldn't be too upset to see him gone anytime soon 

What utter drivel. 

If you cant see the improvement onnlast year (or the continued shackles that prevent Pearson from progressing the situation as fast as theoretically could) then probably best you keep shtum for a while. 

Honestly! 

23 hours ago, Mihai said:

Maybe is time for SL to sell the team. I don't know..the things are getting worse season by season. If we start like that, and we continue to get worse as the season goes, we can be in a very dangerous position till Christmas.

What? You seriously belive this is worst than last season? 

Seriously? 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Exactly, people pull the wool over their eyes just because we have a couple of shiny stands 

Have we actually improved on the field since the lansdowns took over? . Grateful for the money they have put in but the amount of teams that have overtaken us with less resources and potential is incredible in the time they have ran the club.

Well when SL took over we were in League One weren't we?? If so then have we impeoved on the field.... Surely yes given we are now in the Championship. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BasSavage88 said:

Surely this is utter crap.

How is he doing this? 4 wins in 7 months or not winning a home game yet? 

Nothing that he is doing is creating a successful culture 

Judging by your contributions to this forum I’m thinking that you just don’t see the wider picture Bas.

Edited by Robbored

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Judging by your contributions to this forum I’m thinking that you just don’t see the wider picture Bas.

Does anyone on this forum just give an answer and not some smartass comment that means nothing. Answer my question if I am wrong.

How is Nigel Pearson creating a culture for success based on what he has currently done? 

46 minutes ago, redrob said:

What utter drivel. 

If you cant see the improvement onnlast year (or the continued shackles that prevent Pearson from progressing the situation as fast as theoretically could) then probably best you keep shtum for a while. 

Honestly! 

What? You seriously belive this is worst than last season? 

Seriously? 

Is not worse yet but I don't like the football on the pitch. We had some good halfs but overall 80% of the time was shit football.

We have a history for having one of the worst ends of every season so if we start bottom half we will struggle based on our last 10 years of history. I mean, with 4, defeats in a row we can be into the relegation zone easily and we had every time 4 defeats in a row more than one time per season.

19 minutes ago, BasSavage88 said:

Does anyone on this forum just give an answer and not some smartass comment that means nothing. Answer my question if I am wrong.

How is Nigel Pearson creating a culture for success based on what he has currently done? 

And how long do you think it takes to do this. To turn the shambles of a club he took over in to a team pushing at the top end of the table. With no significant investment in players. I think it will take 3 years. I presume  you think it is achievable in 6 months. This is totally  unrealistic and shows a lack of understanding of how difficult a task this is.

8 minutes ago, BasSavage88 said:

Nige hasn’t  been at City long only signing a three year deal in the summer. He inherited a club that had become a shambles after 5 years of managerial neglect and has had to start again.

The first thing he had to do was get the players Championship fit, then get his methods across and all that takes time. 

If you pay attention to his interviews you’ll realise that Nige is a proper manager who has built a squad previously capable escaping the Championship. He knows what he’s doing.

He’s brought in some the guys he’d worked with before on and off the pitch which are all ingredients that go towards creating the right culture needed to reach the PL.

Tasks such as the one Nige has taken on at City all take time to achieve and already we’ve seen some decent performances, mostly away from AG and City have been unfortunate to drop points at AG against Blackpool and Luton conceding in injury time in both games.

Remember that we are only 7 games in to a 46 game season and also remember that Rome wasn’t built in a day.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, BasSavage88 said:

Surely this is utter crap.

How is he doing this? 4 wins in 7 months or not winning a home game yet? 

Nothing that he is doing is creating a successful culture 

If you want to judge Nige’s success purely on results, that’s fine, but you will find posters like me looking beyond that and giving an alternate view. 

The clue is in the words “creating” and “culture”….the theory is that will lead to “results”.  That’s not a smart arse response.  You can build a house quickly and it look amazing, but unless you spent the time laying the foundations, which look effin ugly, your house might collapse.

It’s a crap analogy, yep.

Do you listen to Nige’s interviews (club and press).  He’s explaining that he’s happy to compromise and play the long-game.  That’s why he’s not bought a striker, he can’t afford the one / type he wants, so he’ll wait.  He’d rather try to improve what he’s got than waste money short term.  He’s trying to communicate to fans that it’s a work in progress.

You could look back at last season and say Holden built that lovely house in 5 games, and then suffered subsidence!

What was your thinking last year.

We’re you “all-in” on results then?  If not, why not?

What were you like by November?

But it’s about opinions.  I like having that debate on OTIB.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If you want to judge Nige’s success purely on results, that’s fine, but you will find posters like me looking beyond that and giving an alternate view. 

The clue is in the words “creating” and “culture”….the theory is that will lead to “results”.  That’s not a smart arse response.  You can build a house quickly and it look amazing, but unless you spent the time laying the foundations, which look effin ugly, your house might collapse.

Do you listen to Nige’s interviews (club and press).  He’s explaining that he’s happy to compromise and play the long-game.  That’s why he’s not bought a striker, he can’t afford the one / type he wants, so he’ll wait.  He’d rather try to improve what he’s got than waste money short term.  He’s trying to communicate to fans that it’s a work in progress.

You could look back at last season and say Holden built that lovely house in 5 games, and then suffered subsidence!

I just don't see the reasoning for the optimism. 

Pearson isn't some Messiah that's sorted clubs out from top to bottom over and over again. He did it once(with alot of money), never before Leicester and hasn't repeated it since.

• Hmmm 1

49 minutes ago, BasSavage88 said:

I just don't see the reasoning for the optimism. 

Pearson isn't some Messiah that's sorted clubs out from top to bottom over and over again. He did it once(with alot of money), never before Leicester and hasn't repeated it since.

I don’t think anyone is calling him a messiah, but we see a man with a good vision and is starting to execute that plan.  That vision extends wider than what goes on for 90 minutes once or twice a week.

What other managerial roles has he had where he’s chance to do another Leicester?  And at least he’s done it at one club (success both times).  Many, many managers never taste success once.

Anyway, I’m happy with progress….I’ve written a “couple” of posts why.  I’m happy with my reasons.  I’m sure you’re happy with yours.

• Like 1

On 16/09/2021 at 21:52, BasSavage88 said:

Creating a positve culture takes time as its about changing behavious. 

Unfortunately, creating a negative culture takes less time. 

Have you ever been responsible for creating a team culture? Pearson sa Cassidy is psychology knows all this and that you can't change a football clubs culture quickly, you have to be invested for the long hard yards. 

The trouble with all this is that if Atkinson had booted the ball into row Z of the top tier of the Lansdown stand, this nonsense thread probably wouldn't have even been posted. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, redrob said:

Creating a positve culture takes time as its about changing behavious. 

Unfortunately, creating a negative culture takes less time. 

Have you ever been responsible for creating a team culture? Pearson sa Cassidy is psychology knows all this and that you can't change a football clubs culture quickly, you have to be invested for the long hard yards. 

The trouble with all this is that if Atkinson had booted the ball into row Z of the top tier of the Lansdown stand, this nonsense thread probably wouldn't have even been posted. 

Something from him to learn from, I would imagine that in the back of his mind he was thinking about game management and not giving away set piece situations. Bents also seemed a bit slow in realising what he was trying to do, so communication could have probably been better.

We were all disappointed, but people calling for Manager to go and the Chairman to be paraded in sack cloth and ashes because we drew 1 1 at home is incredibly knee jerk even by OTIB standards. I think a lot of it came from them being embarrassed by Lockyer being able to give them something back after they "went too early" with the baiting.

On 16/09/2021 at 22:27, Davefevs said:

I get what you’re saying, but results do matter.  The culture of the side that got promotion was started by Sean O’Driscoll, but I think everyone accepted he had to go when he was sacked, because the results were simply not good enough.  If we are bottom of the table in January, will people still be talking about ‘progress’, ‘creating’, ‘culture’ and ‘long-game’?  I’ve been willing to give the man a chance but the worst win ratio in Bristol City history plus some confusing team selection and tactics, and strange substitutions, are worrying me.

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I get what you’re saying, but results do matter.  The culture of the side that got promotion was started by Sean O’Driscoll, but I think everyone accepted he had to go when he was sacked, because the results were simply not good enough.  If we are bottom of the table in January, will people still be talking about ‘progress’, ‘creating’, ‘culture’ and ‘long-game’?  I’ve been willing to give the man a chance but the worst win ratio in Bristol City history plus some confusing team selection and tactics, and strange substitutions, are worrying me.

SOD built foundations admittedly, but we were near the bottom of Lg1, Nige is building foundations and has us 12th (maybe lower after today - pessimism from me) in the Champ….and we look competitive.

I agree that if we were bottom in January you would raise concerns.  But, really what are the chances of that on the evidence of this season?  Even less so with Derby’s plight ???

You say you are willing to give him a chance, but several of your posts have a theme based on a worst case scenario, e.g. if we were bottom, to create your view.  What is your best case scenario, what is your most likely scenario.

What we’re your expectations before the season started?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

SOD built foundations admittedly, but we were near the bottom of Lg1, Nige is building foundations and has us 12th (maybe lower after today - pessimism from me) in the Champ….and we look competitive.

I agree that if we were bottom in January you would raise concerns.  But, really what are the chances of that on the evidence of this season?  Even less so with Derby’s plight ???

You say you are willing to give him a chance, but several of your posts have a theme based on a worst case scenario, e.g. if we were bottom, to create your view.  What is your best case scenario, what is your most likely scenario.

What we’re your expectations before the season started?

Great post Dave. Gees there are some miserable buggers on here like DP. I look at the positivies this season and we are doing OK. We could be doing better but 12th is not too bad.

It is a tough league and we are showing more potential this season than the last two. 

We can only get better from here. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, City oz said:

Great post Dave. Gees there are some miserable buggers on here like DP. I look at the positivies this season and we are doing OK. We could be doing better but 12th is not too bad.

It is a tough league and we are showing more potential this season than the last two. 

We can only get better from here. 

Ta. I’d say positionally we are doing better than expectations.

Performance wise we are still mixed…but been some good ones and a couple of poorer ones.

We have been “in” every game, look more physical.

We’ve improved our set plays, well the ones taken with feet!!!  We have scored 4 from set plays…last season we scored 5 all-season.

Its far from perfect, but was it ever gonna be after losing lots of players and being hamstrung financially?

What we are seeing now is probably what Nige would’ve liked to have dine last season….make us harder to beat, start from the back, etc, etc….but the squad wasn’t up for that build….so it commenced in the summer.  I don’t dismiss last season, but it’s not very relevant imho, apart from delaying the “true start”.  Others will disagree.

• Like 1

On 15/09/2021 at 21:45, BasSavage88 said:

Pearson just isn't the man for this. It's easy to blame Ashton etc but this team, the way we play and the mentality is ******* dire and doesn't seem to be improving.

I wouldn't be too upset to see him gone anytime soon 

Really.  ?

He is doing well at present.  The team are playing better football, and getting the best out of our players.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1