IGNORED

Bentley

Dredd

I’m almost scared to write this post as I’m sure some reactions are going to be very different, but;

is anyone else still not convinced on him? We saw both sides of Bentley tonight, first pushing a routine long ranger back down the middle of the goal where a Luton player somehow had a swing and a miss at it, then two minutes later making a fantastic reaction save, followed by the error for the goal.

Some will say he saves us more points than he costs us but I don’t believe that’s true. Give me a Maennpa type steady keeper every day of the week. 

2 minutes ago, Dredd said:

I’m almost scared to write this post as I’m sure some reactions are going to be very different, but;

is anyone else still not convinced on him? We saw both sides of Bentley tonight, first pushing a routine long ranger back down the middle of the goal where a Luton player somehow had a swing and a miss at it, then two minutes later making a fantastic reaction save, followed by the error for the goal.

Some will say he saves us more points than he costs us but I don’t believe that’s true. Give me a Maennpa type steady keeper every day of the week. 

No,,,I'm not convinced...

Never have been..

Concentration.

4 minutes ago, Dredd said:

the goal is one you see in local football all the time, keeper and defender not sure what to do so both kind of leave it instead of row z

As with any player, Bentley has his strengths and weaknesses. Arguably the best close-range quick reaction style shot stopper in the league. Far from the best in other areas of goalkeeping (e.g. minimising "howlers", claiming crosses). 

I think he's comfortably good enough for where we are right now, more than good enough in fact.....he's probably just not quite as good as some would claim. I still feel Bentley gains us more points than he loses us. 

Tonight was an illustration of why he's not quite playing in the premier league though, and he'll probably provide a few more examples before the end of the season unfortunately.

Re Maenpaa:

I think Bentley is the better keeper in terms of peak ability.

Suppose it's a case of whether having a calmer and more reliable presence in Maenpaa would improve the defence as a whole.

Perhaps one for an experienced professional CB to comment on.

Think Bents is one of our better players. Understand this though: every one of the players we have or have ever had has been with us because there's something wrong with them. We need to cut players a little slack and not give them grief just because they're not perfect - we're a mid table Championshio club.

3 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Think Bents is one of our better players. Understand this though: every one of the players we have or have ever had has been with us because there's something wrong with them. We need to cut players a little slack and not give them grief just because they're not perfect - we're a mid table Championshio club.

I’m not asking anyone to be perfect, if they were they wouldn’t be playing for us. I just have a different opinion, I don’t think he is consistent enough and is far more error prone than our previous keepers. Yes he makes saves than Maennpa and Fielding could never, but i believe has cost us more goals. Don’t forget the Brentford fans reactions when we signed him. 
There are much bigger fish to fry when it comes the replacements being required in the team so I’m not expecting him to be shipped out any time soon. 

20 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Atkinson has control of the situation but fails to see it through - either be strong enough to usher the ball out for a goalkick or, if not, put it out for a corner. He does neither, conceding possession and confusing his goalkeeper in the process. Piss poor. 

Atkinson has done everything he’s needed to do - Bentleys had an absolute shocker 

12 minutes ago, Dredd said:

I’m not asking anyone to be perfect, if they were they wouldn’t be playing for us. I just have a different opinion, I don’t think he is consistent enough and is far more error prone than our previous keepers. Yes he makes saves than Maennpa and Fielding could never, but i believe has cost us more goals. Don’t forget the Brentford fans reactions when we signed him. 
There are much bigger fish to fry when it comes the replacements being required in the team so I’m not expecting him to be shipped out any time soon. 

Fair enough, just think that we should concentrate on frying those bigger fish rather than looking towards Bents. None of the full backs or wide midfielders that started today are fit for purpose IMO, and then there's the striker problem. 

28 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Atkinson has done everything he’s needed to do - Bentleys had an absolute shocker 

Agreed. Atkinson shepherds the ball back to Bentley, whilst shielding Adebayo. Bentley attempts to scoop it up and fumbles, and Adebayo plays the loose ball to Mendes Gomes, who crosses for Hylton to tap in. 

Bloody frustrating and an absolute calamity by Bentley.

However, his saves kept us in the game and it was a case of our luck running out, combined with the worst home performance of the season that really hurts.

4 hours ago, SydneyCity said:

Thinking about it relatively logically, for me he’s: in credit, better than most (possibly all) Championship keepers, definitely better than Max, almost the last person that could/should be improved.

Score more goals and any keeper can be afforded a couple of howlers.

I see this all the time, what makes you think Bentley is better than most other championship keepers?

The first half opportunity for their striker has happened so many times with Bentley being in goal. As someone above said though, he's the least of our problems. 

But some fans have it twisted with him and believe he's a Premier League quality keeper and he's not in a million years. He can't hold onto the ball through a save which is pretty essential stage of goal keeping. It's led to so many tap ins for strikers against us and last night I have no idea how he's managed to drop another which has led to a goal. 

Needs to be 100% focus on his own game (ala Kalas). Was watching him whinging on to what I thought was a  ‘homer’ ref throughout the game and was thinking there was a mistake here waiting to happen from him.

To single him out would be a bit unfair. The entire team bar Hano and Pring were a total shambles, like rabbits in headlights. I thought we’d progressed and had got out of bad habits but they looked an unfit, undisciplined, disinterested rabble. A truly woeful performance and very worrying, symbolised by Kalas ‘chuck it as hard as I can’ (which isn’t very far) throw-ins. 

My problem with Bentley, and I have defended him every time he's been slated since he came here , is his handling. He is a big bloke but doesn't command his area, never has. He is also very much a confidence player, probably why we got him relatively cheap to start with. Him not coming for crosses means defenders sit deeper, he stays and hesitates when he has chance to come out and his handling all round looks suspect. Brilliant shot stopper, but that is the very basic requirements for a keeper , it's the rest of his game that raises a keeper to the next level. TBH , I wouldn't care if Max got the shout to start at QPR. It would be a big call, but that was very poor last night.

8 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Atkinson has control of the situation but fails to see it through - either be strong enough to usher the ball out for a goalkick or, if not, put it out for a corner. He does neither, conceding possession and confusing his goalkeeper in the process. Piss poor. 

Or new player comes up from L1 playing well shields the ball & his captain/keeper needs to pick it up & keep hold of it. 

Was right in front of us in Lansdown. Atkinson had it covered & he’d expect his captain to take control. Bentley fumbled it.

I like Bentley but he does sums up City on his day amazing but also equally frustrating.

1 hour ago, Marco the red said:

Well he has made numerous errors but the ones that have cost goals were Cardiff and Luton. It's the same every season, he makes howlers, Bournemouth plus others last season Millwall plus others the,season before. Not just mistakes, but howlers. A good fhampiomship keeper but vastly over rated by some on here who seem to think goalkeeping is just shot stopping.

Agreed. He’s a good championship keeper and we aren’t a good championship team so he is currently playing below himself at our club. Pretty much the least of our worries.  Wish we had a team of good championship players 

33 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Needs to be 100% focus on his own game (ala Kalas). Was watching him whinging on to what I thought was a  ‘homer’ ref throughout the game and was thinking there was a mistake here waiting to happen from him.

To single him out would be a bit unfair. The entire team bar Hano and Pring were a total shambles, like rabbits in headlights. I thought we’d progressed and had got out of bad habits but they looked an unfit, undisciplined, disinterested rabble. A truly woeful performance and very worrying, symbolised by Kalas ‘chuck it as hard as I can’ (which isn’t very far) throw-ins. 

Harsh on Matty James I’d say 

9 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Harsh on Matty James I’d say 

Possibly. But did I walk away from that game thinking we’ve got a midfield general bossing the game, providing leadership, continuity - linking the defence to the midfield, midfield to the attack? 

Personally, I just didn’t see that.

What I saw was just the very worst of last season’s performances. A group of individuals with no leadership or cohesion, little desire and no obvious game plan. Really, really disappointing that we’ve still got that sort of performance in the Club. I genuinely thought we’d put that type of rubbish behind us and were progressing - all be it by baby steps. 

Let’s hope that was just a one-off, but the fact we can still put in that type of display, individual and collectively, is extremely worrying for me. 

Archived