IGNORED

Bentley

Dredd

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Agreed. He’s a good championship keeper and we aren’t a good championship team so he is currently playing below himself at our club. Pretty much the least of our worries.  Wish we had a team of good championship players 

I disagree entirely. Bentley is not too good for us, he is being questioned by a section of the fan base. 
We do have a team of good Championship players, on paper. 

41 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Possibly. But did I walk away from that game thinking we’ve got a midfield general bossing the game, providing leadership, continuity - linking the defence to the midfield, midfield to the attack? 

Personally, I just didn’t see that.

What I saw was just the very worst of last season’s performances. A group of individuals with no leadership or cohesion, little desire and no obvious game plan. Really, really disappointing that we’ve still got that sort of performance in the Club. I genuinely thought we’d put that type of rubbish behind us and were progressing - all be it by baby steps. 

Let’s hope that was just a one-off, but the fact we can still put in that type of display, individual and collectively, is extremely worrying for me. 

I agree that yesterday’s performance was a surprise. The tactics of get it wide and get in crosses seemed very immature. 

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I agree that yesterday’s performance was a surprise. The tactics of get it wide and get in crosses seemed very immature. 

We have done that in every home game so not sure how it was a surprise.

2 hours ago, Rob k said:

I see this all the time, what makes you think Bentley is better than most other championship keepers?

Based on last season there was a betting site that did a piece on Championship keepers and he was in the top four for shots/blocks and preventing xg against, which puts him in the top bracket for me. Not top but top bracket.

I honestly don’t think the stats did him justice though as he was under siege for most of the season and I genuinely believe he kept us up which is no mean feat. In that regard I stand by my “better than most (possibly all)” statement though maybe under scrutiny I’d say “better than most (and on his day better than all)”

He has had a few clangers in recent times which means Max should be in a more competitive position but I don’t think we’re at that point yet and I think this is good and reflective of the small squad, compete for your place mentality we’re building. Another clanger in the next month and I’d say give Max the call up and let him keep it until form says otherwise.

10 hours ago, Dredd said:

I’m almost scared to write this post as I’m sure some reactions are going to be very different, but;

is anyone else still not convinced on him? We saw both sides of Bentley tonight, first pushing a routine long ranger back down the middle of the goal where a Luton player somehow had a swing and a miss at it, then two minutes later making a fantastic reaction save, followed by the error for the goal.

Some will say he saves us more points than he costs us but I don’t believe that’s true. Give me a Maennpa type steady keeper every day of the week. 

I'm in the same boat. Doesn't command his area, pushed too many shots back into the danger area and has a head rush sometimes. 

People say he saves us points but most keepers will do that and he does make some look better then what they are. There's a reason Brentford got rid 

10 hours ago, Dredd said:

I’m almost scared to write this post as I’m sure some reactions are going to be very different, but;

is anyone else still not convinced on him? We saw both sides of Bentley tonight, first pushing a routine long ranger back down the middle of the goal where a Luton player somehow had a swing and a miss at it, then two minutes later making a fantastic reaction save, followed by the error for the goal.

Some will say he saves us more points than he costs us but I don’t believe that’s true. Give me a Maennpa type steady keeper every day of the week. 

I believe Bentley is more than good enough for Bristol City. I think sometimes we forget what we are. I’d go as far as saying he’s good enough for any club in the championship. 

Bentley reminds me of David James in his prime, able to make incredible reaction saves and at times looking like the best of his peers and then it happens, one moment of madness and he does something silly. I like Bentley but I do think he's too unstable at times which will cost games. If we're asking would I keep him or replace? I'm honestly unsure, I mean O'Leary has shown quality and could very well take that step up, I already see him as Bentleys replacement whenever that may happen but I do question whether he would be able to come in right now and take that spot from Bentley purely down to experience and that need to command the back line.

41 minutes ago, Spike said:

Bentley reminds me of David James in his prime, able to make incredible reaction saves and at times looking like the best of his peers and then it happens, one moment of madness and he does something silly. I like Bentley but I do think he's too unstable at times which will cost games. If we're asking would I keep him or replace? I'm honestly unsure, I mean O'Leary has shown quality and could very well take that step up, I already see him as Bentleys replacement whenever that may happen but I do question whether he would be able to come in right now and take that spot from Bentley purely down to experience and that need to command the back line.

Agree with the David James comparison. He has a mistake in him which unfortunately as a goalkeeper will inevitably cost us points. We don’t as a team score enough goals for that to not be an issue. If he makes a mistake at 2-0 or 3-1 then it’s not such a big deal but we are dealing with fine margins at the moment. All of our games have been won or lost by the single goal

He reminds me a bit of flapper Phillips (yes he’s much better than he was) excellent shot stopper/reaction saves but is liable to a costly error, flaps at crosses, kicking is hit or miss (miss last night btw) and likes to rush out the goal when it’s not needed.

The thing that has always worried me about Bentley is his tendency to parry shots back into the danger zone, rarely are shots pushed round the post or wide of the goal, they seem to bounce off him and on a lot of occasions go straight to an attacker. 

Show me a keeper not prone to a clanger and ill show you a keep in a top 10 prem team. It happens.

Bents is one of the best keepers in the league. Certainly cant see anyone we could bring in being better, max included. 

Seems like when we had Heaton similar threads would appear, frankly comparing him with Phillips is a complete joke. 

7 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

How many errors has Bentley made this season? I think he’s been very good overall. 

Exactly. His place becomes up for debate when the mistakes are too often.  Nowhere near that is he?

5 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Agreed. He’s a good championship keeper and we aren’t a good championship team so he is currently playing below himself at our club. Pretty much the least of our worries.  Wish we had a team of good championship players 

Agree.  Has some deficiencies, but that’s why he’s in the Champ.

People harp back to Brentford, and why they sold him.  They found a better keeper in their opinion.  Bents had had a poor time around his wife / partner losing a baby (don’t know full details but I know he supports the group SANDS - apologies for my ignorance on all this) and that might’ve forced Brentford to look for a new / better keeper.

7 minutes ago, RedHienz said:

Show me a keeper not prone to a clanger and ill show you a keep in a top 10 prem team. It happens.

Bents is one of the best keepers in the league. Certainly cant see anyone we could bring in being better, max included. 

Seems like when we had Heaton similar threads would appear, frankly comparing him with Phillips is a complete joke. 

De Gea is number one at United and he makes loads!

Bentley was fine for about the first 80 minutes, then he got wound right up by some incident in the far corner. His head went after that, rushing halfway up the pitch to confront the ref, making himself a target for the Luton fans "he's gonna cry in a minute ", a couple of bizarre free kicks near the halfway line aiming for the far touchline (if Luton had intercepted one of those, straight through on an open goal) and finally the catastrophic error which cost the game.

Your goalkeeper needs nerves of steel, mind bending concentration as well as the reflexes of an alley cat.

Who's our goalkeeping coach at the moment, time for him to earn his corn?

The sad thing with his error was he didn't have to come off his line at all. Ball was probably going out of play or if not, nothing would've come of it. 

But every player on that pitch made an error or two (or more) in that game. 

The torture of being a keeper is your mistakes are more likely to lead to a goal conceded than any outfield players' cock-ups. 

14 hours ago, big dosser said:

the goal is one you see in local football all the time, keeper and defender not sure what to do so both kind of leave it instead of row z

That was my take on it. Atkinson had the opportunity to bang it behind and reset. He tried to show he could play and both of them made a mess of it. 

Magnússon on more than one occasion did similar. There is blame to go around here. The upside is it probably won’t happen again. ? 

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Bents had had a poor time around his wife / partner losing a baby (don’t know full details but I know he supports the group SANDS - apologies for my ignorance on all this) and that might’ve forced Brentford to look for a new / better keeper.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/pitchside-presentation-with-members-of-bristol-sands-united-and-city-s-dan-bentley/

Correct. Dans child was found to have lost their heartbeat at a 12 week scan. He’s been subsequently blessed with a rainbow baby at the start of this season.

The above is from May, and I’d urge anyone to have a look at it. There are people on here who can speak far better than me on it, but what I can say is that the work done by the guys at sands is invaluable and it was a pleasure to share a pitch with them a couple of months ago.

5 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/pitchside-presentation-with-members-of-bristol-sands-united-and-city-s-dan-bentley/

Correct. Dans child was found to have lost their heartbeat at a 12 week scan. He’s been subsequently blessed with a rainbow baby at the start of this season.

The above is from May, and I’d urge anyone to have a look at it. There are people on here who can speak far better than me on it, but what I can say is that the work done by the guys at sands is invaluable and it was a pleasure to share a pitch with them a couple of months ago.

It’s a terrible thing. The people at Sands do a tremendous job.

Without them the people who lose children whilst still in the womb have an awful time. Often there is no grieving, no goodbye, no acknowledgement that it’s real. 

I know for many men it causes very long lasting problems as there is no obvious outlet to process the bereavement.

I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

13 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Always thought Maenpaa commanded the defence better but Bentley is better in other areas...forget the individual error for a second though.

How secure does the defence in general feel behind Bentley? Probably variable, it's not so much his ability as how much confidence he inspires, how commanding he is.

Exactly, Bents is a great line keeper anywhere off his line he is a liability  and as we have let so many goals in in our 6 yard Box shows, he doesn't command the 6 yard box let alone his area.i believe our defence get caught wondering if he's coming out or staying every time a cross looks like coming in and he unsettles them. Give me maenapa every time.

There's no such thing as a perfect keeper who never makes mistakes, I always used to rate Frankie but loads on here gave him stick. We can't seriously talk of getting rid of Bents every time he makes a mistake, we've seen keepers for England and the top teams in the Prem do it, it's part of the game.

5 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Ta for sharing.  Pretty sure a poster on here who I follow on Twitter was part of it…that’s why I sort of remembered it.

4 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

There's no such thing as a perfect keeper who never makes mistakes, I always used to rate Frankie but loads on here gave him stick. We can't seriously talk of getting rid of Bents every time he makes a mistake, we've seen keepers for England and the top teams in the Prem do it, it's part of the game.

Bentley is far superior to Frankie Fielding.

He is a very competent Championship goalie. Some of his saves have been ridiculous for us. Personally I forgive him for a mistake or two. We would miss him if he wasn’t here!

7 hours ago, Super said:

De Gea is number one at United and he makes loads!

As does Jordan Pickford, Karius and Kepa (which coincidentally was against Luton)https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/13834971/kepa-makes-another-howler-for-chelsea-as-flop-keeper-lets-ball-spill-through-him-from-tame-shot-against-luton/

Goalkeepers have the unenviable position that their errors are more likely to end in a goal than an outfield player.

On 15/09/2021 at 23:40, Dredd said:

I am with you on Bentley, only average, poor anticipation and a defenders nightmare.

Said it a couple of weeks ago and got slated, give me a Maennpa any day!

On 16/09/2021 at 08:45, And Its Smith said:

Harsh on Matty James I’d say 

Matty James was limping during second half. Was it just a knock to work off or more serious?

As for Bentley, he makes saves that others wouldn't get near but for me he has more areas of weakness than I like. Poor at coming to claim crosses, too many saves when he just palms ball down to oncoming forwards and he doesn't now look to pass the ball quickly at all, just looking to waste time every time he gets the ball.

So do his fantastic super saves outweigh the negatives?

Archived