IGNORED

How long is acceptable?

Top Robin

Firstly, I want Nige to remain.

When is an acceptable time for performances to start to be consistently good - 6 months? a year? 2 years? 3 years?

I know it's a 3 year plan, but I'm not sure I can put up with this inconsistency for that long! 

Hopefully this is hypothetical but there may be a time in the future when we will all think that this isn't acceptable.

1 minute ago, Top Robin said:

When is an acceptable time for performances to start to be consistently good - 6 months? a year? 2 years? 3 years?

I know it's a 3 year plan, but I'm not sure I can put up with this inconsistency for that long! 

Hopefully this is hypothetical but there may be a time in the future when we will all think that this isn't acceptable.

So what are you going to do? Buy the club? Apply for the manager position? Offer to sign as a free agent to play?

Just now, Hampshire reds said:

All these games without a home win crowds getting smaller by the game then for me time is up. If Dean or lee where in  charge the fans will be against them big time. why are people backing Pearson. 

What do we do, keep changing manager every 30 games or so? 

4 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

All these games without a home win crowds getting smaller by the game then for me time is up. If Dean or lee where in  charge the fans will be against them big time. why are people backing Pearson. 

Because they feel that he is the first proper quality manager we have had in years and everyone is willing him to succeed

3 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

Do you mean now?

I think the context is very important. The vast majority of fans recognise we've got lots of issues to sort out. In some games this season we've looked fairly decent. 

I think conceding late against a team lots of fans think we should be beating makes it feel like a defeat. Blackpool was the same really.

The difference between Pearson and Johnson/Holden is that he's proven at this level and above. Both Johnson and Holden (particularly Holden) had a limited track record so naturally fans were going to be twitchier. 

We're also 12th in the league. I appreciate it's not a massive sample size of games just yet, but before the season started most fans seemed happy with mid table. 

It's going to take time to transform this team - a pandemic which has been crippling for football finances (compounded by FFP restraints) and trying to change a lopsided squad is a big challenge and will take time. 

13 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Think the answer to that mate is a winger and two decent strikers things moght get better.

14 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Where are you realistically expecting us to finish?

What is your definition of “consistently good”? Fulham are top (pretty consistent) but lost at Blackpool, is that acceptable by your definition?

What is your constructive solution here?

1 minute ago, Hampshire reds said:

What do you think the state of the team and medical set up were when Pearson took over and how long does it take to turn that around. Linked to the fact that unlike Johnson he has been unable to buy players in conveyor belt fashion. I imagine if you thought we were in good shape then Pearson should be producing consistent performances and results. My opinion is we were an absolute shambles in every way. Medically, morale, tactics, performance etc, etc. So that is why I am backing Pearson and think he will need 3 years to get us pushing for promotion. And try listening to his interviews and compare what he says to the gibberish and bullsh1t of Holden and Johnson and maybe you will understand why people are happy to give Pearson the time he needs to get the job done.

To me you'd only look to change the manager if you think another manager could get more out of this bunch of players. I just don't believe that person exists at the current time so you have to get behind Pearson and let him get on with his task. 

Be honest if we had held on to win last night a lot of this moaning wouldn't be happening, you can't blame Pearson for a player error in the last minute for chrisakes, in my opinion just take a look at Hughton at Forest and then be careful what you wish for. 

I would be happy bumbling along around where we are now (or maybe even a little lower) for most of this season to be honest as long as the performances keep improving as they have done since the summer. I would like to think that at some point towards the back end of the season we will go on a little run to finish strongly and give some hope and optimism that we will be stronger next season.

2 minutes ago, Redstart said:

To me you'd only look to change the manager if you think another manager could get more out of this bunch of players. I just don't believe that person exists at the current time so you have to get behind Pearson and let him get on with his task. 

Be honest if we had held on to win last night a lot of this moaning wouldn't be happening, you can't blame Pearson for a player error in the last minute for chrisakes, in my opinion just take a look at Hughton at Forest and then be careful what you wish for. 

Nailed it.

I don’t believe there is anyone better we could get than Pearson to do what’s needed and cannot see anyone else getting better out of this squad of players. He’s said himself he needs 3 or 4 transfers windows, which is in itself admitting the players aren’t good enough for a promotion challenge. This season is all about consolidation for me and making small marginal gains. 

2 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

I would be happy bumbling along around where we are now (or maybe even a little lower) for most of this season to be honest as long as the performances keep improving as they have done since the summer. I would like to think that at some point towards the back end of the season we will go on a little run to finish strongly and give some hope and optimism that we will be stronger next season.

The worry is we are putting big pressure on getting results away from home if this stops then we will be dragged into a relegation scrap. We don't look like scoring many and create very little.

7 minutes ago, Redstart said:

Exactly. This team need an experienced operator who can manage our limitations. Despite how it feels, we didn't lose last night. We didn't play particularly well either and it's another point towards safety. 

Pearson didn't seem too worried post match either which was good. Behind closed doors I imagine he was furious but I think he fully recognises where this squad truly is. We'll be ok and he deserves time to turn it round. 

1 minute ago, Super said:

The worry is we are putting big pressure on getting results away from home if this stops then we will be dragged into a relegation scrap. We don't look like scoring many and create very little.

Agreed but I don't think a home win is too far away in all honesty, it should have been last night or Blackpool and once the hoodoo is broken hopefully it gives the players a bit more freedom, Fulham and Bournemouth are going to be difficult but not impossible but the Forest game after that should be the one surely.

As for our chance creation we are a million times better than last season so along as the improvement carries on I think we'll be fine.

8 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

If the results especially at home are not good enough and the fans are not coming to watch then changing the manager as was said every 30 games then sorry it has to be done. what is it 14 games without a home win. this is embarrassing. Surely an experienced manager can get the odd home win. its only my opinion.

And you wonder why you get so much stick on this forum.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Exactly. This team need an experienced operator who can manage our limitations. Despite how it feels, we didn't lose last night. We didn't play particularly well either and it's another point towards safety. 

Pearson didn't seem too worried post match either which was good. Behind closed doors I imagine he was furious but I think he fully recognises where this squad truly is. We'll be ok and he deserves time to turn it round. 

How long? 

You just have to accept that City is one of the worse teams in the championship. I mean, we have to accept that a season that keeps us in Championship is a success.

City have no ambitions, every season they gave us hope but in reality they don't think like that. You have to support your team anyway and the faster you accept the situation the better will be.

I am happy if we stay up and I won't think again about promotion. If it happens I will take it as a lucky season and I will be happy but until the final games I will doubt every season for a top 2 or top 6 season.

34 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

I think most on here said a mid-table finish would be the goal this season, very few expected us to challenge at the top end of the table. Well, we are mid-table which means you win some and you lose some. It's unfortunate that none of the wins have been at home but in the main the team is performing as most expected. There is loads of room for improvement and we're still weak in a couple of positions but at least we're not in the relegation battle at this stage at least.

1 minute ago, Mihai said:

You just have to accept that City is one of the worse teams in the championship. I mean, we have to accept that a season that keeps us in Championship is a success.

City have no ambitions, every season they gave us hope but in reality they don't think like that. You have to support your team anyway and the faster you accept the situation the better will be.

I am happy if we stay up and I won't think again about promotion. If it happens I will take it as a lucky season and I will be happy but until the final games I will doubt every season for a top 2 or top 6 season.

Quite right Mihai - you have to strap yourself firmly in & try to enjoy the ride....

Pointless grinding your teeth away.

9 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

How long? 

Difficult question. Depends entirely on the context. At the moment, we're relatively average (if uninspiring) as evidenced by our league position. We've won a few, lost a few and drawn a few. Young players are getting game time and the squad seems happy. In the context of this season, that's fine. 

However, imagine we get towards Christmas, we don't win a game until then and Pearson has fallen out with the team - then it would be prudent to change manager perhaps. That's a very worst case and unrealistic scenario though I think.

1 minute ago, Son of Fred said:

Quite right Mihai - you have to strap yourself firmly in & try to enjoy the ride....

Pointless grinding your teeth away.

Yeah, like Barnsley did last season. They had a good season but a team that fights for promotion gets better season by season. Like Bournemouth or Brentford. We finish 7 and next season we finish 15 and next season closer to relegation than playoffs.

It will happen eventually to go up but God knows when and if we will still be alive to see that.

40 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

Let’s sack Nigel.

Bring in the other person you have no idea is and ignore the mess created up to the summer.

What a load of bollocks.

I had every sympathy for Dean and wished he nothing but success.

I enjoyed Lee and although he completely fell for his own hype in the end, believe he did his best.

Steve and Mark however over saw the poor recruitment, the complete lack of strategy, poor allocation of transfer funds and wages and complete mishandling of contracts, all of which came to fruition just a couple of months ago. The size of the mess left will not be solved in a season, regardless of manger.

We disagree, which is fine, but for me, my ire is not directed at Nigel or Dean or even Lee.

Good luck to anyone trying to sort the Steve/Mark f&ckfest.

People seem to be making out we’re in some sort of crisis.

The home form is poor, get that. But we’re 13th after 7 games. See where we are after 10 games and that’s when you get a feel as to where teams finish.

I said this before start of the season. I’d happily take 21st now. We have a very poor squad thanks to the previous regime. Finish mid-table this season and Pearson has done a fantastic job.

Archived