IGNORED

How long is acceptable?

Top Robin

2 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

I think some fans are guilty of forgetting just how bad it was for the last 12 months prior to Pearson's appointment.

And it does seem to be a case of forgetting. At the end of last season the forum was full of people crying "relegation battle next season" or "I'd take 20th next season" etc. Now they're suggesting Pearson should be fired as we're only 12th and the football we play can be a bit dull at times?

I'm not sure that (realistically) there's a better man for the job than Pearson. When you consider how poor we were, as well the issues we had in summer with contracts, a bloated/unbalanced squad, no money to spend etc then what did people really expect this season? Do people really think that another manager could come in and transform us into a swashbuckling footballing side battling for a place in the top 6 within a few weeks?

The harsh reality is that we were probably the worst side in the league for most of last season, and transforming us into a top 6 team is going to be a long hard process.

I think Nige is performing more than just the manager role too.  In effect he’s been put on “special projects” to sort out more than just the playing side and what happens on match day.

7 hours ago, Rob k said:

He had all of this season for me - at the end of last last season i saw anything other than relegation as success this year 

At the very least this season.

Would we have such a fuss if we’d not conceded late last night and against Blackpool? I doubt it, we’d be four points better off and sitting in a play-off place. I know this is a ‘what if’ question but I suspect the mood would be quite different if we were four points better off. 

Around mid table is what I hope for this season.

12 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

I think some fans are guilty of forgetting just how bad it was for the last 12 months prior to Pearson's appointment.

And it does seem to be a case of forgetting. At the end of last season the forum was full of people crying "relegation battle next season" or "I'd take 20th next season" etc. Now they're suggesting Pearson should be fired as we're only 12th and the football we play can be a bit dull at times?

I'm not sure that (realistically) there's a better man for the job than Pearson. When you consider how poor we were, as well the issues we had in summer with contracts, a bloated/unbalanced squad, no money to spend etc then what did people really expect this season? Do people really think that another manager could come in and transform us into a swashbuckling footballing side battling for a place in the top 6 within a few weeks?

The harsh reality is that we were probably the worst side in the league for most of last season, and transforming us into a top 6 team is going to be a long hard process.

The facts bear this out.  We’re level with Derby for the fewest points gained since October 2020 with 48.  5 less than Forest who’ve just sacked Hughton. 

1 minute ago, Jerseybean said:

Would we have such a fuss if we’d not conceded late last night and against Blackpool? I doubt it, we’d be four points better off and sitting in a play-off place. I know this is a ‘what if’ question but I suspect the mood would be quite different if we were four points better off. 

Yepp. Similarly, if the Cardiff win had been a home game and the Luton draw been an away game would people still be so frustrated? Or is it simply the "big scary home form" statements that work people up into a frenzy?

(Don't get me wrong, the home form is hugely disappointing, just probably not worth the hysterics you see from some fans) 

1 hour ago, Jerseybean said:

I think your spot on , the only problem is we as fans want perfection and it ain’t going to happen , but we all look for improvement and I can’t see anyone outside the 11 to improve things in fact we have players on bench that I think should be moved on  . Palmer is a waste of money ,semenyo is another luxury I’ll afforded with a return of 2 goals in 3 seasons as a forward  , can we not put hungry youngsters on bench and bring em on as impact players .we definitely need pace as our build up is so predictable but we’ll still be there 

10 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

If Dean or lee where in  charge the fans will be against them big time. why are people backing Pearson. 

LJ handed us the most consecutive defeats ever in our history, his overall home record over his entire tenure was atrocious, he spent more money than any other manager we’ve had and basically achieved nothing - yet there were no “toxic” atmospheres, no mass demonstrations or hysteria, no anti-LJ chants or banners in the ground, no sustained ‘LJ Out’ campaigns - our fans were never “against Lee big time” despite going through periods that were significantly more dismal than Pearson has given us thus far ...

LJ came in after we’d been promoted and was given millions and millions and millions of pounds to spend - if Nigel had been afforded that luxury we’d be in a whole different place right now ... people are backing Pearson because he has come into a club trying to recover from the mess left by LJ and MA and there are signs that he is slowly turning it around - LJ came into a club on the up - and didn’t do much ...

If the results especially at home are not good enough and the fans are not coming to watch then changing the manager as was said every 30 games then sorry it has to be done. what is it 14 games without a home win. this is embarrassing. Surely an experienced manager can get the odd home win. its only my opinion.

Who do you expect to foot the rather large bill for changing manager every 30 games? Can we put your season ticket up by 35% along with everyone else’s including kids to cover, no complaints?

Nah, course not, you would be right at the front crying about it and burning your old season card. You personally, giving it the old “sorry it has to be done” tough guy decision maker routine, only want that to be the case if Stevie is going to pay for it don’t you?

8 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Survival this season. Play off push next season. True promotion hopefuls third season.

Is what I am expecting and being 12th looks like we are ahead of target

Spot on - as Meat Loaf crooned: “You Took the Words Right Outta My Mouth” - but then again he also piped up with “Two Out of Three Ain’t Bad” ??

All these games without a home win crowds getting smaller by the game then for me time is up. If Dean or lee where in  charge the fans will be against them big time. why are people backing Pearson. 

I wish you had stuck to your plan of not posting anymore.

11 hours ago, Top Robin said:

Firstly, I want Nige to remain.

When is an acceptable time for performances to start to be consistently good - 6 months? a year? 2 years? 3 years?

I know it's a 3 year plan, but I'm not sure I can put up with this inconsistency for that long! 

Hopefully this is hypothetical but there may be a time in the future when we will all think that this isn't acceptable.

You shouldn’t have too, it’s a 3 year plan meaning it should get better year on year it won’t suddenly get to 3 and shite becomes great overnight. 

We’ve got more intent, more commitment and some patterns of play at periods in the game.

The main thing is we’re collecting points and not losing each week so a 15th place finish would be progress. 

its going to be a long ride but if we stick with Nige and then in 18-24 months we have 11 NP players we should be ok. 

Cannot believe that people are even suggesting that it’s time to change the manager……again! Absolute joke.

Nige has signed for the long-term with both he and SL recognising that it will take time to put things right for all the reasons stated by others. Ultimately, putting right the error-strewn last three years by Ashton and his merry men.

I was as frustrated as 16000 others last night but we have to accept that this will take time and in NP, we are fortunate to have someone who has been there, seen it and done it all before! I have every belief that he can do it again with us.

Keep the faith - it will be a bumpy ride but hopefully one with a great ending.

COYRs

12 hours ago, Mihai said:

Yeah, like Barnsley did last season. They had a good season but a team that fights for promotion gets better season by season. Like Bournemouth or Brentford. We finish 7 and next season we finish 15 and next season closer to relegation than playoffs.

It will happen eventually to go up but God knows when and if we will still be alive to see that.

Yes bud, it occured to me that ive been supporting since the mid 80s, 35 years, and we are no closer now than anytime in those 35 years to making a fight of it at the top if the championship. Its the hope that gets you.

Archived