IGNORED

Pearson post match interview

Ivorguy

Another excellent analysis by NP

We must stick by him as he remains our very best chance of progress across the board

Will be interesting to see how he goes about the January transfer window 

We are not yet 10 days into the season

Steady the fans!  As the old Duke of Wellington might well have said 

Spot on, hoenst and accurate as always.

he can clearly see the issues and he knew early doors we needed someone to "put the ball in the back of the net" and said so. Its not his fault we are where we are and there is simply no one better for the job (big job) we have as a club.

Absolute bonkers to think of changing, look at Notts Forest....

13 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Sorry, above post should read 10 games!

Ivor, 10 days 10 games whats the difference, going to be yet another gruelling season for everyone including us old guys ( pun not intended ) who have seen it many many times before but I believe NP has the pedigree to succeed long term.

33 minutes ago, brady bunch said:

he can clearly see the issues and he knew early doors we needed someone to "put the ball in the back of the net" and said so. Its not his fault we are where we are and there is simply no one better for the job (big job) we have as a club.

Totally agree that it would be bonkers to get rid.

However, he still has a lot to do to convince me he's the right man, I just really can't see it at the moment.

Take last night as an example. He clearly saw that the shape was all wrong and made early changes to correct it - nothing wrong with that. BUT, it was clear on Saturday that that shape/system wasn't working, so why do it again in the following game?

Having a plan and sticking with it can be an admirable trait at times, but I just can't help having the feeling that stubborness could well end up being his downfall. 

The table is starting to take shape we're in 12th at the moment which is better than where I thought we would finish so I'm not going to get too upset. 

I think the issue is exacerbated by the fact that our problem is playing at home, if we had beaten Cardiff and Reading at home and drawn away to Preston and Luton I don't think there would be anything like the concern that's currently being shown. 

23 minutes ago, Pezo said:

The table is starting to take shape we're in 12th at the moment which is better than where I thought we would finish so I'm not going to get too upset. 

I think the issue is exacerbated by the fact that our problem is playing at home, if we had beaten Cardiff and Reading at home and drawn away to Preston and Luton I don't think there would be anything like the concern that's currently being shown. 

And also we lost 4 points with the last kick of two games pretty much, which would have put us on 13 on the edge of playoff places, which would have been a great start.  Fine margins obviously and we need to start seeing games out, but it’s not all bad, can’t see us going down or anything, but we need to start getting home wins to galvanise the fans

39 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Agreed. Slightly concerning though that we haven’t played anyone in the top 8 yet. 

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

We must stick by him as he remains our very best chance of progress across the board

Good post. Unfortunately with the modern game comes unrealistic expectations and some fans demand instant success without understanding or accepting the challenges (financial, poor business management and COVID impacts) over the past few seasons this club is having get through.

Part of the problem is the PL is so accessible these days to watch that some people have completely unrealistic expectations/demands of our club. Nigel needs time to rebuild. Simple.

Unfortunately unrealistic fan demands are never going to change. Would make an interesting documentary to follow a group of  fans go behind the scenes of running a club to see what it's really like and then get their opinion at the end. ?

28 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

And also we lost 4 points with the last kick of two games pretty much, which would have put us on 13 on the edge of playoff places, which would have been a great start.  Fine margins obviously and we need to start seeing games out, but it’s not all bad, can’t see us going down or anything, but we need to start getting home wins to galvanise the fans

Normally away form is less consistent and it’s the home form that keeps poorish teams up. I think that if the home form improves from dreadful to poor (about 7 wins) then we should get sufficient points to stay up. 

1 hour ago, brady bunch said:

it’s his fault for picking such a negative line up, or does he escape all criticism as per usual?

Quite liked what he had to say about Alex Scott.

“Look, remember he’s 18. He’s only just 18 and he was playing in a position that not his favoured position,” Pearson added. “I’m not going to expose the lad. He’ll be hurting but he’s a top player.

“I think he’ll play for England one day. He is a real talent. Sometimes you take players out of the firing line because it’s not working for them. I take the responsibility for picking him in the first place.”

2 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Not really. He said the day after the August window that fans will be disappointed in January if they expect any incomings, during that window. 

2 hours ago, ooRya said:

BUT, it was clear on Saturday that that shape/system wasn't working, so why do it again in the following game?

Because different opponents play different ways and exploit different weaknesses.  Luton themselves set up different to their previous match, and different to the one before that.

It looks like Nige thought the back 4 was ok on Saturday, but it needed a bit more creativity in midfield.  I would t say it was clear on Saturday, I thought it was two evenly matched teams, and not a lot wrong.

2 hours ago, ooRya said:

Having a plan and sticking with it can be an admirable trait at times, but I just can't help having the feeling that stubborness could well end up being his downfall. 

He has a framework that lines up in a 4411(ish) formation on paper.  He can hardly be classed as stubborn when he’s played various different personnel in positions to give him flexibility, whether that be a bit more defensive capability or flair.

There is no magic system.  Might well be an argument that actually playing the sane team last night might’ve been better in hindsight, because the player he brought in didn’t perform.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Because different opponents play different ways and exploit different weaknesses.  Luton themselves set up different to their previous match, and different to the one before that.

It looks like Nige thought the back 4 was ok on Saturday, but it needed a bit more creativity in midfield.  I would t say it was clear on Saturday, I thought it was two evenly matched teams, and not a lot wrong.

He has a framework that lines up in a 4411(ish) formation on paper.  He can hardly be classed as stubborn when he’s played various different personnel in positions to give him flexibility, whether that be a bit more defensive capability or flair.

There is no magic system.  Might well be an argument that actually playing the sane team last night might’ve been better in hindsight, because the player he brought in didn’t perform.

Sorry Dave, but I'm just not buying it.

We were awful on Saturday, and only looked anywhere near half decent when he brought Dasilva on and moved Baker away from left back. Yet yesterday he went straight back to it, which surprise surprise, yielded the exact same result.

As for Scott not performing....that isn't unusual when players are played out of position.

5 minutes ago, ooRya said:

We were awful on Saturday, and only looked anywhere near half decent when he brought Dasilva on and moved Baker away from left back. Yet yesterday he went straight back to it, which surprise surprise, yielded the exact same result.

As for Scott not performing....that isn't unusual when players are played out of position.

100% agree. 

10 minutes ago, ooRya said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

3 minutes ago, Super said:

100% agree. 

That’s fine, that’s your opinion(s).

Out of interest, how do you define “awful”….I kinda see that as “not in the game, completely dominated, bossed”, etc.  Which to it was nothing like that.

32 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

That’s fine, that’s your opinion(s).

Out of interest, how do you define “awful”….I kinda see that as “not in the game, completely dominated, bossed”, etc.  Which to it was nothing like that.

Until Pearson made the changes, we just weren't in the game at all last night. Even Pearson admitted after the game that we could/should have gone in 2-0 down at half time.

Even Ronnie Biggs would have been embarrassed if we had come away with 3 points!

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think there’s much wrong , however playing what is effectively four centre halves creates problems . There’s no creativity at all & we resulted to lumping it last night down the channels . I’ve seen plenty slag off Chris Martin but he & wiemann we isolated . He has a problem . Centre halves generally don’t have the mobility to cope with a flying wide man , plus going forward hasn’t that natural instinct to overlap . We were getting outnumbered last night in midfield as well & Han actually getting bullied in there. 
If he goes 433 then we have to play orthodox full backs for the width but , we haven’t got the front men to play that system unless you play O’dowda left & wiemann right.

I’m right behind Pearson but he does need to be questioned. 
He said the other day that Joe williams was in the squad but didn’t make the bench . We were crying out for him last night . He doesn’t seem to want to play Bakinson , so I just don’t understand that at all . 

Think he’s the man.

However, if he thinks CoD is going to be our saviour, he may well be in for an unpleasant surprise. 

Bit worried about him making Bents Captain with his known history of confidence struggles with his own game. The last thing he needed is extra responsibilities imo. Up front, at risk of making the same mistake of flogging an already knackered Martin and shoving Andi and Wells out wide - repeat failures. He may think he can teach old dogs new tricks but several have tried and failed.

He’ll get there eventually I’m sure though. 

8 hours ago, Gazred said:

Quite liked what he had to say about Alex Scott.

“Look, remember he’s 18. He’s only just 18 and he was playing in a position that not his favoured position,” Pearson added. “I’m not going to expose the lad. He’ll be hurting but he’s a top player.

“I think he’ll play for England one day. He is a real talent. Sometimes you take players out of the firing line because it’s not working for them. I take the responsibility for picking him in the first place.”

“I’m not going to expose the lad”??  Then he takes responsibility for picking him in the first place.  Bonkers.

He has taken on a club that was utterly in a shambles. Loads of players OOC, players he wouldn’t want in contract and the only way to get rid was to give them away ala Nagy 

The two things he had/s going for him when he came in was a U23 squad with talent and we just about had enough points to not get relegated

fast forward. Dumped a whole load. We are giving starts to players that nine months ago no one had heard of and others are pushing for first team involvement and we could be in the top six if not for two horror injury time goals. What are we seven games in and the numpties are calling for his sacking. FFS LJ got years to piss our money up the wall and there are still penis brains on here telling us how great he was. We are all pissed off about Wednesday me in particular, but that’s where we are right now. 

8 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

“I’m not going to expose the lad”??  Then he takes responsibility for picking him in the first place.  Bonkers.

He picked him thinking it would work (reasonably obviously), it didn’t work, so he subbed him to protect him. Not particularly bonkers. If he’d been in full soothsayer mode pre match then presumably he wouldn’t have picked him. He got it wrong and took responsibility. 

Archived