IGNORED

Tactics from almost every kick off!

Denbury Red

For many years now City’s tactics from almost every kick off have driven me insane.

We pass the ball back to someone on the centre circle and they hump it to left touch line hoping we will win the header.  The number of times we lose possession - if I were frustrated enough to calculate - must be many many more times than we win possession or win a throw in.

In open play when we have possession of the ball on the half way line we rarely hump it into that area - we aim to keep possession and build a move!

Having conceded last night with the best part of three minutes still to play - we did this yet again and instantly lost possession and gave Luton the initiative!

We needed to get the ball into,a dangerous area to try and snatch a winner!

Please please - keep the ball from our kick offs and build - or in training, work on some tactics to move the ball around without aimlessly humping it forward into no mans land!

1 hour ago, Denbury Red said:

For many years now City’s tactics from almost every kick off have driven me insane.

We pass the ball back to someone on the centre circle and they hump it to left touch line hoping we will win the header.  The number of times we lose possession - if I were frustrated enough to calculate - must be many many more times than we win possession or win a throw in.

In open play when we have possession of the ball on the half way line we rarely hump it into that area - we aim to keep possession and build a move!

Having conceded last night with the best part of three minutes still to play - we did this yet again and instantly lost possession and gave Luton the initiative!

We needed to get the ball into,a dangerous area to try and snatch a winner!

Please please - keep the ball from our kick offs and build - or in training, work on some tactics to move the ball around without aimlessly humping it forward into no mans land!

I noticed when Luton initially kicked off last night they set up as if they were going to do it like that, and we set up expecting it, but instead they played it short and to the right which got them into a huge space very quickly until we switched on.

I guess there are risks to keeping possession - in that players haven't had a chance to move forward so you are essentially playing in your own half with no outlet further up the pitch - but surely all you need to do is play it form forward to central midfield, central mid to centre back and central back to full back and that will buy enough time for players to start to move up the pitch and the full back to have at least two or three reasonable options to start to build...

6 hours ago, Super said:

When i play Fifa i have a shot. Closest i have got is hitting the bar, Maybe we should try this?

My dad used to take me to watch Coventry when they were in the top flight.  They shot form kick off nearly every time back then.  Got lucky with one or two I think.  Ogrizovich (spelling?) used to try to score from goal kicks as well!

Archived