IGNORED

Bears bigger than City

bs3

Bears expecting a crowd of over 20,000 on Friday, have we had over 20,000 this season?

Bears now definitely biggest sporting club in the City. 

We have to accept we are now playing second fiddle to the Rugby in the Bristol sport set up and in the mind and pocket of Steve Lansdown.

Success on the field brings bigger crowds and expectation. The Bears are now an established Premiership team with realistic ambitions of winning it. People want to be a part of that and rugby has always been a popular sport in the West Country. I'm not sure that the football plays second fiddle, its just easier to be successful in Rugby whilst investing less money. Plus the salary caps etc. Much more investment has and continues to be spent on the football over the years. 

8 minutes ago, bs3 said:

Bears expecting a crowd of over 20,000 on Friday, have we had over 20,000 this season?

We have to accept we are now playing second fiddle to the Rugby in the Bristol sport set up and in the mind and pocket of Steve Lansdown.

Yes, against Swansea, 2 games ago.

The lack of perspective on here after a bloody draw is incredible.

edit- how much do you think Lansdown spends on rugby compared to football ffs?!

Rugby has a smaller "playing field" so to speak. 13 teams (including the bears) in the Gallagher Premiership. 11 in the championship. So more people would gravitate to clubs like the bears.

Bristol city have to compete with 71 other League clubs including another in Bristol so those fans are naturally going to be more spread out.

17 minutes ago, bs3 said:

Ridiculous thread to be honest. The rugby club can easily become the biggest club in Europe . The sports are incomparable 

19 minutes ago, bs3 said:

There’s no need to get Grizzly over it…

The rugby club are less of a drain financially than City are, and they are probably much easier to get success with. According to this the Bears lost £4.1M in 2020 (not sure how much difference that covid made), can't be bothered to check Bristol City numbers but from memory they usually costs Lansdown around 10-15 million a season to fund. Apparently the rugby club got around £11 million in revenue in the last financial year (could probably go up a fair bit if they had last season with fans in the stadium) this is a lot less than Bristol City who I believe get closer to £20 million.

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/03601031/filing-history

Its interesting to compare the 2 clubs but the bottom line is that if Bristol City ever got into the premier league then that would dwarf anything the rugby club could ever do from a financial pov. But if you want to be known as a successful sports club owner then I understand why focusing on the rugby side looks more attractive, both financially (to minimise losses) and to create a 'legacy'.

32 minutes ago, bs3 said:

Laughable! Top team, in a top league which they finished top of! What it shows there is a big appetite for top sport and winning teams in Bristol. As accounts show, BS spends a fraction on Rugby than soccer. Also what better way to get motivated than your mates on the Rugby side singing blackbird after winning again!

As a ST holder and lifelong supporter of both, I don't see it as a contest.

The real sports people of Bristol and the two clubs want them both in the top leagues winning trophies and in European competition.

Ask current Bears player, Joe Joyce and ex Bath and England Gareth Chilcott if they would be delighted for both to be up top fighting for glory and you'd be amazed at their passion for both teams and sports.

42 minutes ago, bs3 said:

Bears now definCity itely biggest sporting club in the City. 

We'll never know if Steve's mind has ever been more on the rugby than the football but anyone with the slightest knowledge of both sports will tell you that City could be in L2 and we'd still be more of a drain on his wallet.

41 minutes ago, bs3 said:

Yes we have.

We’ve also sold more STs than them.

Not that it matters because it isn't a competition, we are two clubs in completely different sports. If the Rugby club is doing well financially for our owner then I hope they completely fill the Gate for every game this season. 

When they first came to AG, we were told by thick Gasheads that no one would watch them in South Bristol and they would be a financial burden for SL....another fantastic prediction from them.

The finances behind rugby and football are hugely different so you cant compare. If City had a team close to winning the PL year in year out, and were in the champions league we would have 27K each game, and could probably even more if we were right at the top as the rugby club is.

I like going to the rugby - its a rare event for me as its expensive compared to city but its a nice atmosphere.

Interesting comments about Bears playing in the top league, less financial drain etc but the main thrust of my point is that Bears are bigger than City as it stands today  and I have yet to read a reason post to counter that specific point .  

I think that's about the max potential pull for bears over the season...more for Bath and "bigger' clubs, less for the Newcastle's etc..It won't go up any more. Should city get into the prem (and I'm in two minds whether I want that, given the potential attendee change) they would probably be able to sell circa 30k tickets per game, if we had that capacity, potentially more...

And that's with two clubs in the city (Please note the omission of the word football, given it only applies to one club) not just one, although some might argue Bath is a suburb of Briz

7 minutes ago, bs3 said:

Interesting comments about Bears playing in the top league, less financial drain etc but the main thrust of my point is that Bears are bigger than City as it stands today  and I have yet to read a reason post to counter that specific point .  

Ok.

So what?

11 minutes ago, bs3 said:

I’m glad you have clarified that. It read to me that your main point was to have a go at Lansdown.

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Not a rugby fan, (rubbish game, made to play it at school, hated it) but did anyone else look at this & think they had discovered bears that were bigger than an entire city?

Just me then..

Anyone named Arthur, Bernard or Ursula have names that mean "bear".

Probably enough of them to fill a small city, like Bath.

I knew a guy called Orson once. His name also means "bear".  He was Orson from Wells.  Didn't do sherry adverts though.

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

Anyone named Arthur, Bernard or Ursula have names that mean "bear".

Probably enough of them to fill a small city, like Bath.

I knew a guy called Orson once. His name also means "bear".  He was Orson from Wells.  Didn't do sherry adverts though.

Quality facts.

Knew that about Ursula but not the other two..

Orson Welles mind, what a genius, watched A Touch of Evil again recently, he was a bloody visionary.

Doubt he’d get much of a tune out of the squad Nige has, though.

There in the top flight at the peak of the game.

Its not a competition though. 

We all have season tickets to both. 

Im proud if the fact that the city has a decent football and rugby team.

Playing in the Championship is a brilliant standard and whilst I always want success for City, there’s no shame in the jebel we are current At.

1 hour ago, Red_Alligator said:

To me, rugby is a game for public school boys and Welsh people. It simply doesn't matter. Therefore I couldn't care less what happens to the Bristol Bears. 

Only BCFC count. Simple. 

Amen brother.

It’s shite.

Archived