IGNORED

Bears bigger than City

bs3

1 hour ago, Red_Alligator said:

To me, rugby is a game for public school boys and Welsh people. It simply doesn't matter. Therefore I couldn't care less what happens to the Bristol Bears. 

Only BCFC count. Simple. 

You never played against any Somerset teams then and dare I say Devonian and Cornish. Proper working class game just doesn’t suit the football narrative. 

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Quality facts.

Knew that about Ursula but not the other two..

Orson Welles mind, what a genius, watched A Touch of Evil again recently, he was a bloody visionary.

Doubt he’d get much of a tune out of the squad Nige has, though.

Very true, Gray.

Welles did have a quote that Big Nige could've used last night:

Never expect justice in this world. That is not part of God's plan. Everybody thinks that if they don't get it, they're some kind of odd man out. And it's not true. Nobody gets justice - people just get good luck or bad luck.

7 minutes ago, lenred said:

You never played against any Somerset teams then and dare I say Devonian and Cornish. Proper working class game just doesn’t suit the football narrative. 

Football is a game for the masses Len - the people's game. Rugby is NOT a game of the working classes. Never has been, never will be. Your argument is fatuous, sir!

I'm not a Rugby fan by any stretch of the imagination - although I do enjoy the 6 nations and the World Cup, but I certainly don't SUPPORT Bristol Bears - but, a bit like with Bristol City ladies football team I am pleased for them when they do well because of their association with BCFC.

I have been told by people who DO follow the Rugby that it's a far better day out than a football match - no crowd trouble, no heavy policing, no pub restrictions and you can drink a beer at your seat whilst you watch the game - which is great, but you'd still have to be INTO the game of Rugby - which I'm not. I don't HATE it - I can just take it or leave it. If someone offered me a ticket as a one-off then I'd probably go for the experience - and probably enjoy it - but I'm a football man at heart and I can't see that changing. 

Good luck to the Bears - I hope they do well - after all, anything good for Bristol Sport has to be good for Bristol City Football Club, right? 

17 minutes ago, lenred said:

"Rugby seems to have reached Wales in 1850, when the Reverend Professor Rowland Williams brought the game with him from Cambridge to St. David's College, Lampeter, which fielded the first Welsh rugby team that same year"

There's your working class roots Len.

5 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

Football is a game for the masses Len - the people's game. Rugby is NOT a game of the working classes. Never has been, never will be. Your argument is fatuous, sir!

Very much a stereotype, and one which will change over time. 

In fact, at the moment, a day out at the rugby is much more of a draw than a day out watching City, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they averaged higher attendances this season than City, despite the lower season ticket sales.

As rugby continues to grow, it will become less of a game for the upper class, especially in the south west, where there are many more high quality rugby clubs than football

53 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

As a ST holder and lifelong supporter of both, I don't see it as a contest.

The real sports people of Bristol and the two clubs want them both in the top leagues winning trophies and in European competition.

Ask current Bears player, Joe Joyce and ex Bath and England Gareth Chilcott if they would be delighted for both to be up top fighting for glory and you'd be amazed at their passion for both teams and sports.

Coochie is most certainly a keen City fan, but I always wondered why, as a local man, he never played for Bristol.

1 hour ago, Red_Alligator said:

To me, rugby is a game for public school boys and Welsh people.

I must remember to tell Ellis Genge, next time I see him. Or maybe Joe Joyce, King of Southmead. Or John Pullin a farmer. Or Austin Sheppard, an undertaker. I could go on.

So there's #gaslogic and then there's this. I mean, there is a perception for sure but it's so wide of the mark it's laughable.  

And if you're referring to the type of people who go and watch, you're wide of the mark again. Yes you'll find plenty of people from Clifton or Westbury at Ashton Gate but just as many from Lockleaze and Southmead

17 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

Haha, that’s been said many a time ?Certainly don’t disagree that football is 100% the peoples game - no question - but depending on where you come from (I’m Somerset originally) then Rugby would also come into the equation. I went to a comp and it was Rugby before Christmas and Football after Christmas and it was the same across all the Comprehensives in the area. It was as much a working class game as football. We would take great delight in kicking ten bales out of the local public school teams as well! It’s a great game but I get it’s not everyone’s cuppa. 

7 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

In fact, at the moment, a day out at the rugby is much more of a draw than a day out watching City, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they averaged higher attendances this season than City, despite the lower season ticket sales.

As rugby continues to grow, it will become less of a game for the upper class, especially in the south west, where there are many more high quality rugby clubs than football

Sorry, but this is just hilarious.

In my now almost totally gentrified part of South Bristol (Windmill Hill) the Tarquins & Jocastas who have all moved here from London (basically that’s everyone in the past five years has) are highly likely to wear Bears merch, alongside their allegiance to the likes of Arsenal & Chelsea, they are as upper class as you can get, that’s why they can afford the £400k+ for a terraced house.

None of them even know there is one football club in the city, let alone two.

But you keep thinking it will be the types in the Barley Mow & the Apple Tree if you want.

56 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

As a ST holder and lifelong supporter of both, I don't see it as a contest.

The real sports people of Bristol and the two clubs want them both in the top leagues winning trophies and in European competition.

Ask current Bears player, Joe Joyce and ex Bath and England Gareth Chilcott if they would be delighted for both to be up top fighting for glory and you'd be amazed at their passion for both teams and sports.

That's my view as well, although I've never supported Bristol Rugby.

At school, I enjoyed playing rugby more than football: I was a big bugger for my age and fast in those days. It suited me better.

As an adult, I prefer watching football. Rugby's pernickity rules - infringements that need the ref to have to laboriously explain them to the players - get on my wick a bit. The scoring means a large percentage of games are decided on penalty kicks - allowing the ref too much a say in outcomes.

But I have no problem with the Bears' success. I don't think it's come at the expense of BCFC. Both teams have benefitted from the groundshare.

I agree with the posters who say that in country areas of the south-west, rugby does have a working-class support. Lots of the lads who play for local rugby clubs are farm workers, in building trades etc.  It's a different social dynamic than in cities. 

1 hour ago, bs3 said:

Bears expecting a crowd of over 20,000 on Friday, have we had over 20,000 this season?

Bears now definitely biggest sporting club in the City. 

We have to accept we are now playing second fiddle to the Rugby in the Bristol sport set up and in the mind and pocket of Steve Lansdown.

We had over 20k for Swansea game

13 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Sorry, but this is just hilarious.

In my now almost totally gentrified part of South Bristol (Windmill Hill) the Tarquins & Jocastas who have all moved here from London (basically that’s everyone in the past five years has) are highly likely to wear Bears merch, alongside their allegiance to the likes of Arsenal & Chelsea, they are as upper class as you can get, that’s why they can afford the £400k+ for a terraced house.

None of them even know there is one football club in the city, let alone two.

But you keep thinking it will be the types in the Barley Mow & the Apple Tree if you want.

Ah, so because you believe upper class people are more likely to watch rugby that means the game isn’t expanding?

The RFU have put a lot of work into expanding rugby over the past few years, and whilst there’s still plenty of work to do, the sport is growing massively in working class areas. Having the likes of Genge and Sinckler bringing the sport to a more diverse audience is important that as well. 

It’s very easy to stick behind the stereotype that rugby is a sport for only the upper class, but the facts are that isn’t the case any more. Over 20000 will be in Ashton Gate for Friday night, and there’s a good chance that Bristols match v Bath will equal the highest attendance in the redeveloped stadium, which is a record unsurprisingly held by Bristol. It won’t be many years before Bristol have more season ticket holders than City at the current rate, which is amazing for a sport that is apparently only enjoyed by the mega rich and upper class…

47 minutes ago, chinapig said:

His best film, better than Citizen Kane for me, and one of my all time top 10.

I am sure you are aware, but about 10 years ago, perhaps even longer, A Touch of Evil was edited to make it more like Welles’ preferred vision - he had been removed from his position of director shortly before its release.

2 hours ago, bs3 said:

Interesting comments about Bears playing in the top league, less financial drain etc but the main thrust of my point is that Bears are bigger than City as it stands today  and I have yet to read a reason post to counter that specific point .  

They’re playing saracens who have been the dominant force in English rugby for the last 10 years. They’ll likely sell out against bath (although looking at what they’re charging for tickets that would be some achievement)

see how many they get when london Irish or Northampton roll into town. That would be more comparable to Luton town on a Tuesday night.

2 hours ago, bs3 said:

3 hours ago, Red_Alligator said:

To me, rugby is a game for public school boys and Welsh people. It simply doesn't matter. Therefore I couldn't care less what happens to the Bristol Bears. 

Only BCFC count. Simple. 

Rubbish! Ellis Genge of Leicester brought up in the wealthy and very posh area of Knowle West, while Joe Joyce gives all new Bears recruits a tour of the little thatched roof village where he grew up named Southmead.

And how many of the Bristol squad who hail from Fiji, Samoa, New Zealand and Australia went to a public school (which actually means a private school where the public are only allowed if they are multi millionaires) ?

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Anyone named Arthur, Bernard or Ursula have names that mean "bear".

Probably enough of them to fill a small city, like Bath.

I knew a guy called Orson once. His name also means "bear".  He was Orson from Wells.  Didn't do sherry adverts though.

Orson’s surname wasn’t Cart was it?

2 hours ago, bs3 said:

Interesting comments about Bears playing in the top league, less financial drain etc but the main thrust of my point is that Bears are bigger than City as it stands today  and I have yet to read a reason post to counter that specific point .  

Your opening post bases them being bigger than us on the basis they are getting a 20,000 crowd this Friday 

apart from being poppycock, I can assure you city will have the higher average attendances over the season. 

What is factual is that in the world of rugby, the bears are a much bigger club compared to city in the football world but that doesn’t fit your narrative does it

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

Helps watching some of the top athletes in the world playing for your team 

20 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I wouldn't call the South Wales Valleys posh either.

3 minutes ago, lenred said:

Indeed. Took that as a given NR but worth pointing out. 

I used to work in Port Talbot. Anyone thinking Rugby is for the upper classes, go have a night out in Taibach rugby club. 

2 hours ago, bs3 said:

Define bigger, its like saying Preston are bigger than City you can make arguments for and against, income, total spent, crowds, history, trophies.

People are making these points to you but you seem to be ignoring them because IMO you seem to just want come on here and see if you can catch a nibble and wind people up.

You could easily argue that they have been bigger for a long time, they have certainly won more in higher competitions in the last 30 years than we have.

16 minutes ago, BS15_RED said:

Some of the ignorance on this thread is hilarious! Bristol has a hardcore of working class supporters. Most of the people that play Rugby In this city are solidly working class. There’s a lot of chips on shoulders on here.

Completely agree.

Ever watched Whitehall v Barton Hill?

4 hours ago, Red_Alligator said:

Only BCFC count. Simple. 

Try saying that to Gareth Chilcott and wait for the reaction 

3 hours ago, Red_Alligator said:

Have you ever watched any of the local amateur rugby leagues in Bristol? Not too many hooray Henry’s playing 

Archived