IGNORED

Bears bigger than City

bs3

3 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

They didn't want him - too much of a rough diamond, went to the wrong school, etc etc.

Don't forget, it's not just BCFC who've been run by a bunch of rank amateurs for years

We could organise a trans-Atlantic slave trade but not a top class football club (or decent rugby/cricket team) it would seem. 

20 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

We could organise a trans-Atlantic slave trade but not a top class football club (or decent rugby/cricket team) it would seem. 

I think linking the slave trade from the 17th - 18th centuries to Steve Lansdown is a cheap shot and very disrespectful 

5 hours ago, bs3 said:

Bears expecting a crowd of over 20,000 on Friday, have we had over 20,000 this season?

Bears now definitely biggest sporting club in the City. 

We have to accept we are now playing second fiddle to the Rugby in the Bristol sport set up and in the mind and pocket of Steve Lansdown.

Put the Bears 12th in the Championship and see what crowds you get……….

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

Have you ever watched any of the local amateur rugby leagues in Bristol? Not too many hooray Henry’s playing 

You are right and why I don’t criticise rugby. Plenty of decent types both play and watch the game. What ruins it for me is that 30-40% of stuck up, superior anti-football types who also watch the game.

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Sorry, but this is just hilarious.

In my now almost totally gentrified part of South Bristol (Windmill Hill) the Tarquins & Jocastas who have all moved here from London (basically that’s everyone in the past five years has) are highly likely to wear Bears merch, alongside their allegiance to the likes of Arsenal & Chelsea, they are as upper class as you can get, that’s why they can afford the £400k+ for a terraced house.

None of them even know there is one football club in the city, let alone two.

But you keep thinking it will be the types in the Barley Mow & the Apple Tree if you want.

Windmill Hill is “almost totally gentrified” with people who have “all moved here from London.” Really? I guess by “almost totally gentrified” you mean around 90% of people who live in Windmill Hill are people who have “moved there from London” ? Wow - I didn’t know that, a surprising trend but cheers for highlighting it ...

4 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I must remember to tell Ellis Genge, next time I see him. Or maybe Joe Joyce, King of Southmead. Or John Pullin a farmer. Or Austin Sheppard, an undertaker. I could go on.

So there's #gaslogic and then there's this. I mean, there is a perception for sure but it's so wide of the mark it's laughable.  

And if you're referring to the type of people who go and watch, you're wide of the mark again. Yes you'll find plenty of people from Clifton or Westbury at Ashton Gate but just as many from Lockleaze and Southmead

It's the large proportion of "just as many" from Clifton and Westbury who tend to to be stuck-up anti-football arseholes though........the type of arseholes who will talk to you for 15 minutes at work about rugby then turn their back on you and walk off. That really isn't wide of the mark.

53 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

It's the large proportion of "just as many" from Clifton and Westbury who tend to to be stuck-up anti-football arseholes though........the type of arseholes who will talk to you for 15 minutes at work about rugby then turn their back on you and walk off. That really isn't wide of the mark.

It isn't and, I agree, they are arseholes. But it wasn't the point under discussion - which was rugby is a game for public schoolboys and Welsh people.

36 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Put City bottom 4 in Div 4 and see what crowds you get . . . . 

We were getting over 10,000 when we were bottom of division 3 so I’m not sure what the point of this question is?

Is there a division 4 in Rugby?

Have Bristol ever been there? 

13 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

We were getting over 10,000 when we were bottom of division 3 so I’m not sure what the point of this question is?

Is there a division 4 in Rugby?

Have Bristol ever been there? 

They’re relative. Bottom of Div 4 in football/bottom of the championship in rugby is basically the edge of the abyss. 

7 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

They’re relative. Bottom of Div 4 in football/bottom of the championship in rugby is basically the edge of the abyss. 

Sorry, still don’t understand the comparison.

If we were relegated to L2 (which is 3 divisions away from the top flight, not 1 like it is in Rugby) we’d have crowds of at least the number of STs we’d sold at the start of the season. You can speculate how many that would be however as we sold around 9k STs after the worst season in my 35 years of watching City, I suspect it would be around 7/8k. The Rugby club are currently in their Premiership and they’ve sold about 11k STs.

Have Bristol Bears been bottom of the Championship and if so, what were their crowds? 

16 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I'm not a Rugby fan by any stretch of the imagination - although I do enjoy the 6 nations and the World Cup, but I certainly don't SUPPORT Bristol Bears - but, a bit like with Bristol City ladies football team I am pleased for them when they do well because of their association with BCFC.

I have been told by people who DO follow the Rugby that it's a far better day out than a football match - no crowd trouble, no heavy policing, no pub restrictions and you can drink a beer at your seat whilst you watch the game - which is great, but you'd still have to be INTO the game of Rugby - which I'm not. I don't HATE it - I can just take it or leave it. If someone offered me a ticket as a one-off then I'd probably go for the experience - and probably enjoy it - but I'm a football man at heart and I can't see that changing. 

Good luck to the Bears - I hope they do well - after all, anything good for Bristol Sport has to be good for Bristol City Football Club, right? 

I love watching rugby now that I have been going for a few seasons and understand it now. But you cannot compare it to football at all.

I love football for the rivalry and atmosphere between home and away fans, rugby on the whole doesn’t have this. As people know away fans sit amongst home fans and rarely is there any trouble, away fans don’t travel in the way football fans do, I’ve never been to an away ruby match for example but been almost everywhere with City.

I don’t find women’s football at all interesting to me, much rather go to rugby, but there is room here for all sports.

Right now the Bears are the Man City of the Rugby Premiership, you cannot possibly compare that to the football club. Accept that and people will understand better.

Edit: Regarding rugby ST’s, I believe it is more expensive per match than football, and less matches per season. Rugby doesn’t often sell out, maybe only three big games a season and people pick and choose knowing they will be able to get a ticket somewhere in the ground.

15 hours ago, 054123 said:

Completely agree.

Ever watched Whitehall v Barton Hill?

My old man used to ref rugby. He wasn't elite by any stretch so tended to do 3rd XV type games.  He dreaded games like that or Dings v Barton Hill. It sounded absolutely brutal - The idea this is all toffs and Welsh is pure ignorance and inverted snobbery.

I don't buy in to the view that Bristol is a Rugby city and never will. I don't buy in to the view that Bears will ever be bigger than City.

I'm not a Rugby fan but I do like to see the Bears do well. If they lose though it doesn't ruin my day, weekend. When City lose it bloody well does! 

I know it's all about merchandise and marketing but the thing annoys me the most is the name Bristol Bears. Still makes me cringe now.

Just now, The Bard said:

My old man used to ref rugby. He wasn't elite by any stretch so tended to do 3rd XV type games.  He dreaded games like that or Dings v Barton Hill. It sounded absolutely brutal - The idea this is all toffs and Welsh is pure ignorance and inverted snobbery.

Exactly, on average across the UK rugby will be more middle class (that doesn’t make it the Devil’s pastime, as some one here in their desperate race to be the most authentically poverty stricken seem to imply), eg in London there’s a definite middle class skew. But South West up to Gloucester/Forest of Dean, Wales, Scottish Borders, East Midlands to an extent,  it’s ludicrous to suggest it’s a sport played/watched only by the well off.

Pretty sure at lots of football matches, entry isn’t dependent on proving you’ve never purchased olive cheese bread from an artisan bakery. “Sorry sir, sliced white Hovis only in the home end”.

52 minutes ago, supercidered said:

I know it's all about merchandise and marketing but the thing annoys me the most is the name Bristol Bears. Still makes me cringe now.

Weird isn’t it when you consider Chicago Bears seems totally acceptable having been in existence for years and won supoer bowl etc.

That’s the thing with branding, most new brands or team names will seem odd until they begin to resonate & history beds them in.

Harlequins, ridiculous name & makes them sound like a bunch of jokers but overtime it just an accepted identifier.

Archived