IGNORED

Bears bigger than City

bs3

23 hours ago, bs3 said:

Bears expecting a crowd of over 20,000 on Friday, have we had over 20,000 this season?

Bears now definitely biggest sporting club in the City. 

We have to accept we are now playing second fiddle to the Rugby in the Bristol sport set up and in the mind and pocket of Steve Lansdown.

The below might be our new league within the next two seasons. Rugby (bears) might be the main attraction in Bristol if we do not start winning at home. ?

image.thumb.png.6036fef29ea5e6b404b4674802c39f9d.png

On 16/09/2021 at 13:32, BetterRedThanBlue said:

Rugby has a smaller "playing field" so to speak. 13 teams (including the bears) in the Gallagher Premiership. 11 in the championship. So more people would gravitate to clubs like the bears.

Bristol city have to compete with 71 other League clubs including another in Bristol so those fans are naturally going to be more spread out.

and we also have to compete with the glory hunters (which you don’t get to such an extent in rugby)

2 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Please also take into account that if it hadn't been for Bristol City and Steve Lansdown's involvement in Bristol City, Bristol Bears or just Bristol would still be playing at the Mem which at one point in their history was their home before they lost it to their tenants.

Yes, the White Knight who came to rescue them was Steve Lansdown. The fickle finger of fate and all that.

On 16/09/2021 at 13:51, bs3 said:

Yes , It’s full of kids.

Rugby ST £60 for U12 plus a free shirt

What City offer? 

Long thought that a good businesses decision would be to fill tge empty seats with kids at a relatively low cost with a free shirt chucked in. 

I wonder what would happen to Ashton Gate if the Bears consistently get capacity crowds at home games?

Would the board consider increasing the capacity even if City were still averaging attendances in the 'teens?

In the past, the redevelopment has always focussed on the attendances that City have/require, but potentially the rugby could sway that decision in their favour.

On 16/09/2021 at 13:26, Red_Alligator said:

To me, rugby is a game for public school boys and Welsh people. It simply doesn't matter. Therefore I couldn't care less what happens to the Bristol Bears. 

Only BCFC count. Simple. 

Blimey. Don't tell the All Blacks or the Springboks that. The Aussies and Argentines are pretty useful too

32 minutes ago, CiderJar said:

Bumper crowd but they will average around 12,ooo whereas we will average around 16,ooo. More TV revenue from football also. Why worry though? I'll still choose football.

Bristol averaged 16.5k last time full crowds were allowed, 2nd in the league to only Leicester. They’ll still average a couple of thousand less than City this season, as games like Newcastle, Sale and Worcester will bring the average down, but the gap in attendances is definitely closing

34 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Bristol averaged 16.5k last time full crowds were allowed, 2nd in the league to only Leicester. They’ll still average a couple of thousand less than City this season, as games like Newcastle, Sale and Worcester will bring the average down, but the gap in attendances is definitely closing

But that's great. All the more money in Bristol Sport's coffers.  The rugger-bugger in my seat better not spill his beer all over it though.

2 hours ago, beaverface said:

I wonder what would happen to Ashton Gate if the Bears consistently get capacity crowds at home games?

Would the board consider increasing the capacity even if City were still averaging attendances in the 'teens?

In the past, the redevelopment has always focussed on the attendances that City have/require, but potentially the rugby could sway that decision in their favour.

If you have an amenity that is earning money then looking at ways to enhance it goes without saying. SL's future development plans can only be good for all of us under the Bristol Sport umbrella.

18 minutes ago, CiderJar said:

But that's great. All the more money in Bristol Sport's coffers.  The rugger-bugger in my seat better not spill his beer all over it though.

Pimms more like

1 hour ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Blimey. Don't tell the All Blacks or the Springboks that. The Aussies and Argentines are pretty useful too

I'm quite happy to share my philosophical drivel with anyone prepared to lend me their ear Sweeney. With the assurance of course that it won't end up looking like a cauliflower. 

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

If you have an amenity that is earning money then looking at ways to enhance it goes without saying. SL's future development plans can only be good for all of us under the Bristol Sport umbrella.

Pimms more like

Pimms haha!

If you asked for Pimms at Barton Hill or Whitehall rugby club you'd more likely get a thick ear! 

3 hours ago, beaverface said:

Redevelopment of the Atyeo and Dolman stands are still very much on the cards according to Mark Kelly at Senior Reds last week. However, no plans for Ashton Gate Station even when the complex is complete.

People want to naturally be part of success.. I couldn’t give a flying **** about rugby but even i took an interest last season in the Bears as they were doing so well. Any Bristol team (bar the sags) doing well in any sport will always grab my attention and support to be honest.

11 minutes ago, marmite said:

Redevelopment of the Atyeo and Dolman stands are still very much on the cards according to Mark Kelly at Senior Reds last week. However, no plans for Ashton Gate Station even when the complex is complete.

That’s interesting news - the Atyeo in particular is in desperate need of replacing IMO, looks so out of place.

Archived