IGNORED

Can we convert Dasilva into a winger?

pl00peh91

Seeing a lot of debate recently about what to do with the LB position, lots of people suggesting that Dasilva is too short for the position and gets exploited in the air, whereas Baker isn’t attacking enough.

I’m wondering if we are missing a trick here. Instead of playing Pring further forward, why don’t we stick him at LB and play Dasilva in the position Pring currently occupies? Dasilva has great ability to run at people and his perceived height weakness would be a non factor in the LWF position, and would be great at tracking back to cover Pring if he decides to go further forward.

Am I missing something or does this not seem like the most logical solution to the issue?

24 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Dasilva's lack of height does seem to be a problem for Pearson. Even last night at 1-0 up he moved Pring to left back and Dasilva to left midfield for a bit before Pring was subbed. 

Ha, you spotted that too, for about 6-7 mins before Pring came off.  Trying to counter Hylton and Adebayo being on the pitch I guess.

16 minutes ago, Henry said:

No, he struggles to cross a ball.

Haha, he’s generally not is he….but last night it was his that assisted Baker.

I’m really happy with Pring at LM.  If we get our distances right between LCB and LB, I see no issues with Jay at LB either.  Fine tuning between him and Atkinson.

Dasilva makes the pitch look big. It's lovely to watch when he's operating in tight spaces as he nudges and brushes the ball around opponents who all look lumbering and clumsy in comparison. 

But when he's running onto a ball he looks like he's got further to run... he's just not particularly fast. That would be a major disadvantage if he was a winger and his job was to get up and down quickly and whip in crosses.

I love watching Jay, so if someone could persuade me otherwise that would be great, but I worry that he's not suited and won't flourish under Pearson whose style is muscular and direct.

I like Pring where he is, personally, and think he’ll only get better with experience at this level. Other teams recognise the threat he offers wide on the left, with his athleticism and the ability to whip crosses in from deep. Prime example was Luton doubling up on him after our promising start. 

22 minutes ago, Yellow&Blue&Red said:

Dasilva makes the pitch look big. It's lovely to watch when he's operating in tight spaces as he nudges and brushes the ball around opponents who all look lumbering and clumsy in comparison. 

But when he's running onto a ball he looks like he's got further to run... he's just not particularly fast. That would be a major disadvantage if he was a winger and his job was to get up and down quickly and whip in crosses.

I love watching Jay, so if someone could persuade me otherwise that would be great, but I worry that he's not suited and won't flourish under Pearson whose style is muscular and direct.

Like nagy,, technically very good, but not suited to the  championship. Good lad, very little goal threat or assists, which leaves us trying to work out how to shoehorn him in to the side

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I think Jay is best at LB.  I don’t think he’d be at his best playing portions of the game back to goal….his strength is moving onto a ball.

Agree, best with the pitch in front of him. Just like Trent Alexander Arnold. Could do it undoubtedly, but better coming onto the ball. COYR 

Our squad is (almost) perfectly suited for a 3-5-2 system.

DaSiva or Pring as LWB

Baker, Kalas and Atkinson as the CBs

The problem is RWB.

Bentley

Kalas          Atkinson          Baker

New Signing                                                           Pring/DaSilva

James     Massengo

Palmer

Weimann                              Martin

For example.

Sadly DaSilva is a weak link at LB, teams target the ball over is head and into the space, versus Swansea it was very apparent and effective.  

26 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Our squad is (almost) perfectly suited for a 3-5-2 system.

DaSiva or Pring as LWB

Baker, Kalas and Atkinson as the CBs

The problem is RWB.

Bentley

Kalas          Atkinson          Baker

New Signing                                                           Pring/DaSilva

James     Massengo

Palmer

Weimann                              Martin

For example.

Sadly DaSilva is a weak link at LB, teams target the ball over is head and into the space, versus Swansea it was very apparent and effective.  

I would like to see this formation but with Massengo where Palmer is and King alongside James.

But as you said the RWB position seems to be the issue. As much as we like Vyner he is still a weak link. Didn't look like he could cross a road on Wednesday.

I don't see why height should be an issue at full back.  If the ball is being played over his head and into space then what needs working on is his positioning and movement off the ball.  Some of our best full backs over the years have been vertically challenged.  Matty Hill was the same height, as was Andy Llewellyn and Coops. Mickey Bell only an inch taller, as was Joe Bryan.  Jamie Mac, Martin Scott and Darren Barnard only 3 inches taller.  For a full back, height isn't the be all and end all.

11 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

I don't see why height should be an issue at full back.  If the ball is being played over his head and into space then what needs working on is his positioning and movement off the ball.  Some of our best full backs over the years have been vertically challenged.  Matty Hill was the same height, as was Andy Llewellyn and Coops. Mickey Bell only an inch taller, as was Joe Bryan.  Jamie Mac, Martin Scott and Darren Barnard only 3 inches taller.  For a full back, height isn't the be all and end all.

You would say that ?

Matty Hill actually played a fair few games at CB as well. I think there is an argument though that in the 30 years since Llewelyn and 20 years since Hill, things have moved on athletically. Andy Llewelyn probably wasn’t short for a full back when he played - Jay is. However, I do think he’s a very good footballer and should be in our first choice side, other than in specific games (a la Cardiff away).

5 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

You would say that ?

Matty Hill actually played a fair few games at CB as well. I think there is an argument though that in the 30 years since Llewelyn and 20 years since Hill, things have moved on athletically. Andy Llewelyn probably wasn’t short for a full back when he played - Jay is. However, I do think he’s a very good footballer and should be in our first choice side, other than in specific games (a la Cardiff away).

I don't know what you mean....mine and Matthews feet reach the floor like everyone elses, so are we actually short...?

Matty Hill actually played extremely well at CB as well.  I do still believe that positioning and movement is more important than height in that position though.  You can gain that extra yard to shut down the attack by moving smartly.  As for Llewy....I was having doubts about including him in a list of "best" full backs...  but in a position where he's compared against such greats as Nick Hunt, Marvin Harriot, Danny Wilson and Brian Mitchell he seemed to fit the bill!  Didn't Henry McKop also play there....?  I've tried to blot that one out of my head somewhat!!!

32 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Joe Bryan could leap like he was on a trampoline though, don't think JD can do that.

3 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

I don't know what you mean....mine and Matthews feet reach the floor like everyone elses, so are we actually short...?

Matty Hill actually played extremely well at CB as well.  I do still believe that positioning and movement is more important than height in that position though.  You can gain that extra yard to shut down the attack by moving smartly.  As for Llewy....I was having doubts about including him in a list of "best" full backs...  but in a position where he's compared against such greats as Nick Hunt, Marvin Harriot, Danny Wilson and Brian Mitchell he seemed to fit the bill!  Didn't Henry McKop also play there....?  I've tried to blot that one out of my head somewhat!!!

Positioning is more important. I’ve tried to show them that ??

Henry McKop played CM. I once went to Sheffield United (looked it up - was November 1994) and I’m sure him, Mike Wyatt, Mark Humphries, Rodney McAree and Marvin Harriott were in the same team. It didn’t end well…

13 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Henry McKop played CM. I once went to Sheffield United (looked it up - was November 1994) and I’m sure him, Mike Wyatt, Mark Humphries, Rodney McAree and Marvin Harriott were in the same team. It didn’t end well…

He was def one of the worst players i have ever seen.

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Ha, you spotted that too, for about 6-7 mins before Pring came off.  Trying to counter Hylton and Adebayo being on the pitch I guess.

Haha, he’s generally not is he….but last night it was his that assisted Baker.

I’m really happy with Pring at LM.  If we get our distances right between LCB and LB, I see no issues with Jay at LB either.  Fine tuning between him and Atkinson.

I should have probably added, whilst he isn’t a great crosser, he is is good in tight spaces. He is a big part of our ability to player from the back.

Pring does whip a good ball in, but deep crossing are rarely effective. He needs to work on getting past the 18 yard line.

Its a shame DaSilva didn’t start on Wednesday. Bree at RWB was not someone who was going to cause him too many problems defensively.

30 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

That team gives me the shivers!

3 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

Positional play is key, as is spacing / proximity to his LCB (Atkinson).

Back a few years ago, Flint (RCB) made whoever was RB (Little, Matthews etc) play really narrow to protect him, meaning they sacrificed their natural positioning to support Flint.

I wonder if this will improve as Atkinson gets more used to his own positioning and that of his LB.

15 hours ago, pl00peh91 said:

Seeing a lot of debate recently about what to do with the LB position, lots of people suggesting that Dasilva is too short for the position and gets exploited in the air, whereas Baker isn’t attacking enough.

I’m wondering if we are missing a trick here. Instead of playing Pring further forward, why don’t we stick him at LB and play Dasilva in the position Pring currently occupies? Dasilva has great ability to run at people and his perceived height weakness would be a non factor in the LWF position, and would be great at tracking back to cover Pring if he decides to go further forward.

Am I missing something or does this not seem like the most logical solution to the issue?

I know that I may be in the minority but since signing permanently I have see little of Jays so called attacking flair. When given the ball facing 1 defender he almost never takes him on and prefers the inside ball. If he does get to the bye line his crossing is rarely productive. I know that others really rate him but for me he is playing on reputation and is a liability at the back due to his size.

2 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I know that I may be in the minority but since signing permanently I have see little of Jays so called attacking flair. When given the ball facing 1 defender he almost never takes him on and prefers the inside ball. If he does get to the bye line his crossing is rarely productive. I know that others really rate him but for me he is playing on reputation and is a liability at the back due to his size.

This is a big season for him.  He’s had two injury hit seasons (shin splints / broken bone in shin) and he needs to show the form of his loan spell.  I can see why some have doubts.  Up to him to show us all what he can do.  With Pring doing well, O’Dowda nearing a return and Baker getting minutes at LB, he’s certainly not gonna get a free-ride.  Competition is good.

Archived