IGNORED

Man City

Super

Sounds like Pep has upset the fans by saying he wants more fans to attend Champions League matches, Apparently he should stick to coaching the team. Why is it that they never sell out these games and other clubs do?

Apparently they don't think they will sell out the allocation of 2k to go to Paris? 

They had an issue with UEFA for some years now and use that as the excuse.

Personally i think they say they aren't interested in the CL because they have never won it so if they say they aren't interested it diverts the attention away from a manager / club who have spent £1 billion pounds and still cant win the prize the owners crave.

Because in the last few years they have only just began to pick up glory supporters

majority of the attendances at the etihad will be people from Manchester but clubs like united , Liverpool and arsenal are filled with glory fans from around the country who don’t support local teams ( fans from places like Devon , Bristol and Wiltshire) 

2 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Because they are in the last few years they have only just began to pick up glory supporters

majority of the attendances at the etihad will be people from Manchester but clubs like united , Liverpool and arsenal are filled with glory fans from around the country who don’t support local teams ( fans from places like Devon , Bristol and Wiltshire) 

Fair point.

It's interesting. If Bristol City got into Europe, I honestly don't know how arsed I'd be about attending the games. I wonder if teams that aren't used to playing in Europe don't see the European games as as much of a "big deal" somehow. Certainly, as a neutral in terms of top flight teams, I'm far more interested in the league than European cup competitions.

5 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

It's interesting. If Bristol City got into Europe, I honestly don't know how arsed I'd be about attending the games. I wonder if teams that aren't used to playing in Europe don't see the European games as as much of a "big deal" somehow. Certainly, as a neutral in terms of top flight teams, I'm far more interested in the league than European cup competitions.

It would depend where it was. I would be up for Paris maybe not so much Russia!

6 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think there would be a rush to do it in all honesty. If we did fans would know we would never get a chance to do it again. I would try my hardest to go but flights can be very expensive.

37 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

I think there would be a rush to do it in all honesty. If we did fans would know we would never get a chance to do it again. I would try my hardest to go but flights can be very expensive.

Agreed 

even if it was a Russian team or any non welcoming place I would massively be up for it as it would be incredible to ever see it happen 

46 minutes ago, westonred said:

Cup matches arn't covered in the price of a season ticket and fans probably are reluctant to cough up at least another £100 when they can watch it on TV for nothing.

Football has become too expensive for the average fan 

Though to be fair they have one of the cheapest season tickets in the Prem. It's not just CL they don't sell, look on their site you can get tickets tomorrow for £30, and their next 3 games after that all on general sale.

I think they just dont have a lot of fans. They obviously have a core base of 30-40k that stayed with them even in League 1 but as someone else suggested, they haven't yet picked up many "glory" fans

2 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Though to be fair they have one of the cheapest season tickets in the Prem. It's not just CL they don't sell, look on their site you can get tickets tomorrow for £30, and their next 3 games after that all on general sale.

I think they just dont have a lot of fans. They obviously have a core base of 30-40k that stayed with them even in League 1 but as someone else suggested, they haven't yet picked up many "glory" fans

Yeah, it's one of those that people use their attendance as a stick to beat them with, whereas I prefer to see it as they're probably one of the best supported clubs in the country just because they haven't got a ton of glory hunters in the ground.  Most of them are Man City fans because they're Man City fans and not because they were bought by the mega wealthy.

Having said that, their last two league games were only a little under capacity.

17 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Yeah, it's one of those that people use their attendance as a stick to beat them with, whereas I prefer to see it as they're probably one of the best supported clubs in the country just because they haven't got a ton of glory hunters in the ground.  Most of them are Man City fans because they're Man City fans and not because they were bought by the mega wealthy.

Having said that, their last two league games were only a little under capacity.

I find it very weird when fans have a problem with other teams attendances. Usually seems to be glory fans who don’t even go to the games themselves anyway! 

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

Apart from getting to the FA Cup final, to be able to watch City against one of the big European clubs, particularly away from home at say the San Siro or suchlike, would be the dream.  It would be an insane experience.

Never got why fans were moaning about the league cup run and saying concentrate on the league and that they would rather win the next league game.   It was brilliant and something that stays with you and those bits of glory away from the mundane is what makes it all worth it.

2 minutes ago, sm2webb said:

Apart from getting to the FA Cup final, to be able to watch City against one of the big European clubs, particularly away from home at say the San Siro or suchlike, would be the dream.  It would be an insane experience.

Never got why fans were moaning about the league cup run and saying concentrate on the league and that they would rather win the next league game.   It was brilliant and something that stays with you and those bits of glory away from the mundane is what makes it all worth it.

Aren't they knocking down the San Siro (pedant I appreciate)?

I'm happy that I've been there, awesome stadium.

2 minutes ago, sm2webb said:

It's interesting. I was at Man City and loved it. And I'd probably go to an away game or two for the experience, as you say. But I've just never been excited by the European club competitions. I'm hoping to get to a couple of league games in Germany and the Netherlands next years, and I've been to a game in Bilbao before, so it's not a lack of interest in getting to European stadiums. The competitions have just never struck a chord with me in the way that the league and the domestic cups do...

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

I might for the novelty value as I suspect it might be a once in a lifetime event.

1 hour ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Because in the last few years they have only just began to pick up glory supporters

Exactly the way I see it. They are a well-supported club in terms of their core support (they got big crowds in the third tier for example) but haven’t got the same number of glory hunters yet. 

Man City were getting 30k in league one. Always had good support always will. But it seems they haven’t attracted the glory hunter . I must of seen 1 Man City shirt in Bristol unlike Liverpool and Man U. Pep should stick to spending 100s of millions of pounds on players. And let fans save and spend on what they can afford in an ever increasing cost to watch football 

Man City are a proper football team with a proper fan base based upon family ties and tradition, not glory hunters / tourists as many have said already.  Have the pleasure of going to a few away games of theirs with friends who are man and boy supporters and it’s a great craic, much the same as our support and away day experiences. Contrast that with times I’ve been in Liverpool when Liverpool are playing or Manchester when Utd are playing and the demographic is completely different, literally thousands of tourists as well as their hardcore fans. Nothing wrong with that at all, but I know which one I’d rather be associated with! 

2 hours ago, Super said:

Sounds like Pep has upset the fans by saying he wants more fans to attend Champions League matches, Apparently he should stick to coaching the team. Why is it that they never sell out these games and other clubs do?

Apparently they don't think they will sell out the allocation of 2k to go to Paris? 

Must be something about Cities having two clubs..........."Just like Bristol, your City is RED " !

2 hours ago, Wiltshire robin said:

I can remember when Blackburn won the P.L.

Seeing blokes walking around in Bristol wearing Blackburn shirts, and thinking to myself WTAF ??!!

(they weren't from Blackburn, and I wasn't confusing them with the faymus kawterzz either)

2 hours ago, MarcusX said:

So its a case of the ground has outgrown their support The same thing happened at the Mem when they put the capacity up to 3k :)

Archived