IGNORED

Man City

Super

25 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

I can remember when Blackburn won the P.L.

Seeing blokes walking around in Bristol wearing Blackburn shirts, and thinking to myself WTAF ??!!

(they weren't from Blackburn, and I wasn't confusing them with the faymus kawterzz either)

I don’t understand how anyone born and raised in Bristol can support a team not from Bristol . My gas head mate supports rovers and Liverpool and I just don’t understand how anyone from the West Country can feel Affiliated or any passion to a team up north . To me supporting your local team and also a prem team is something a toddler would do .

18 minutes ago, westonred said:

So its a case of the ground has outgrown their support The same thing happened at the Mem when they put the capacity up to 3k :)

Ah, but the  car park holds the 30,000 fans that are locked out.

I clearly remember Man City being one of the very few clubs to fill the whole open end in the late 70’s, this when we were in the first division. Their support has always been top class Imo. 
As for these CL crowds, from what I read, a lot of their support would rather save their money until the knockout stages of the competition, ( we all know they will get out of their group)  personally I don’t blame them. 

Meanwhile, across Manchester...........

Manchester United has revealed that broadcasting revenues helped to soften the financial hit from the pandemic.

In the 12 months to 30 June, the club made £254.8m from broadcasters, 81.7% up on the previous year's £140.2m.

However, with games being played without fans due to Covid, matchday revenues fell from £89.8m to £7.1m.

It’s a different world , isn't it?

4 hours ago, Super said:

It would depend where it was. I would be up for Paris maybe not so much Russia!

Typical glory boy away fan - just pick and choose the glamorous ones! Fans are not too dissimilar to players - we may sign a top, show pony, fake-tanned, tricky winger, but can he do it on a cold, rainy Thursday away at Zenit St. Petersburg ...?! (for the avoidance of doubt, not much of this post is meant to be taken too seriously ??)

1 hour ago, Wiltshire robin said:

I don’t understand how anyone born and raised in Bristol can support a team not from Bristol . My gas head mate supports rovers and Liverpool and I just don’t understand how anyone from the West Country can feel Affiliated or any passion to a team up north . To me supporting your local team and also a prem team is something a toddler would do .

Yep, that is often my retort to any Bristolian Liverpool or Man U “fans“ that I may encounter.

”Oh, I thought you might have grown out of that by now”.

23 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You’ll have to ask @Davefevs about this - his love for Klopp’s team is widely acknowledged...

First game of football I vaguely remember.

Liverpool v BMGladbach (or Liverpool v West Germany as I thought at the time)

Brother supported Liverpool.

First City match attended….City 1-0 v Liverpool 78, big Joe Royle, mis-hit!!

I have little affinities with lots of clubs for silly reasons.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

First game of football I vaguely remember.

Liverpool v BMGladbach (or Liverpool v West Germany as I thought at the time)

Brother supported Liverpool.

First City match attended….City 1-0 v Liverpool 78, big Joe Royle, mis-hit!!

I have little affinities with lots of clubs for silly reasons.

Cool - I remember that mishit Royle strike well! Your support for the Mickey Mousers seems a tad more than a “little affinity” though? 

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Cool - I remember that mishit Royle strike well! Your support for the Mickey Mousers seems a tad more than a “little affinity” though? 

No, Liverpool are my “other team”, no doubt…but beyond them I like lots of teams for a variety of reason.  I’d even want Partick Thistle to win a game against most because I know you support them and Alan Hansen. ???

2 hours ago, Wiltshire robin said:

My local team is Watford. I've never lived anywhere close to the West Country. I am a toddler too?

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, Liverpool are my “other team”, no doubt…but beyond them I like lots of teams for a variety of reason.  I’d even want Partick Thistle to win a game against most because I know you support them and Alan Hansen. ???

Sure, my huge love for The Jags is not a secret and it hardly suggests i’m a glory hunting fan of another, much bigger club! I’m not an Alan Hansen fan though - when Thistle were in dire straits some years back and looking as though they may go under, loads of high profile Scottish people, ex Thistle players and fans pulled together and raised funds to save Partick - Billy Connolly, Liz McColgan, Sean Connery, John Smith etc etc stepped up and helped save Partick Thistle, but Hansen didn’t want to know and refused to donate anything - time or dosh - even though The Jags developed him into a player worthy of being signed by Liverpool ... strange how he seemed to instantly lose his love for Glasgow’s finest football club, especially as his brother John also wore the Thistle shirt with great pride ... for over 200 games ...

6 hours ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Because in the last few years they have only just began to pick up glory supporters

majority of the attendances at the etihad will be people from Manchester but clubs like united , Liverpool and arsenal are filled with glory fans from around the country who don’t support local teams ( fans from places like Devon , Bristol and Wiltshire) 

Not sure about Arsenal’s inclusion in that. 

5 hours ago, Wiltshire robin said:

I think you're overestimating toddlers. They're what, maybe 2-3 years old. Not sure they have the mental capacity - at that age I was concentrating on potty training rather than football: sadly both involve a lot of sh...

9 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I think you're overestimating toddlers. They're what, maybe 2-3 years old. Not sure they have the mental capacity - at that age I was concentrating on potty training rather than football: sadly both involve a lot of sh...

I’m 67 and I’m now concentrating on potty training rather than football!

I've been a Bristol City supporter all my life.

But I've lived in Shrewsbury and Livingston, went to their games when not traveling to see City. Hence I take an interest in their scores and table positions.

I also enjoy watching teams that play with flair, attractive and entertaining. Man U when the Busby Babes were there before Munich. Spurs Double winners in 1961, Brazil with Pele, Garrincha and the Liverpool of a couple of years ago.

But City are my team.

Their fans seem to have a bit of class about them. 

I remember at Southend they had a few hundred there for Southend v Bristol City as it was Shaun Goaters' last game before retirement circa 2005?

Also I'd estimate 50-100 were at the Gerry Gow testimonial at Ashton Gate. I'm not sure what year that was, maybe 2013?

Proper supporters. I don't think it's on for Pep or whoever to tell fans they should be coming to matches at any time but particularly after the 18 months or so we have all had. Get real. 

9 hours ago, Super said:

Sounds like Pep has upset the fans by saying he wants more fans to attend Champions League matches, Apparently he should stick to coaching the team. Why is it that they never sell out these games and other clubs do?

Apparently they don't think they will sell out the allocation of 2k to go to Paris? 

They clearly will sell that,have many times down in Bristol but granted Paris is a bit boring unless your with the other half or have a interesting fascination with odd smells and tower’s 

6 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

I clearly remember Man City being one of the very few clubs to fill the whole open end in the late 70’s, this when we were in the first division. Their support has always been top class Imo. 
As for these CL crowds, from what I read, a lot of their support would rather save their money until the knockout stages of the competition, ( we all know they will get out of their group)  personally I don’t blame them. 

The first time I can remember THAT happening was Man U in 74 .

I don't understand having a second team. My dad made sure I had no choice but to support City when all my mates supported United in the 90s. I'm glad he did, the highs of supporting City have given me some of the best moments in my life. 

Not sure you really get that unless it's your local team who you've watched every weekend struggling to win a game in the lower leagues. 

For Man City fans it must great to see, I see Guardiola's comments as basically a rallying call to get more fans behind the team. For me the supports club guy is a bit of a moron for trying to taking a moral high ground that misses the point. 

19 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

It's interesting. If Bristol City got into Europe, I honestly don't know how arsed I'd be about attending the games. I wonder if teams that aren't used to playing in Europe don't see the European games as as much of a "big deal" somehow. Certainly, as a neutral in terms of top flight teams, I'm far more interested in the league than European cup competitions.

So you wouldn't want to see City play at the Camp Nou, the Benebau or the San Siro? 

Though not sure I'd be racing to Moldova. 

13 hours ago, LeeJohnsonsFlatCap said:

I live in Manchester and the tickets to watch them in the champions league were going for £12.50 on some sites. Some fans I know in the area are still worried about going to games or have issues with families so I can see why some fans got annoyed by peps comments.

They were also giving a ton away to local schools, junior clubs etc.

22 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

It's interesting. If Bristol City got into Europe, I honestly don't know how arsed I'd be about attending the games. I wonder if teams that aren't used to playing in Europe don't see the European games as as much of a "big deal" somehow. Certainly, as a neutral in terms of top flight teams, I'm far more interested in the league than European cup competitions.

If it happens can you come and dig me up so I can witness it.

1 hour ago, Portland Bill said:

Agreed, but Man City fans would have mostly been from Manchester, not Cornwall,Devon and Somerset ?

Everton we’re another club who had the whole open end. 

I don't think they did, not in the old Div 1   There was the segregation, they just had the away part,I can remember City lads piling into them when a gate "mysteriously" was opened !  You must be on about one of the cup ties we played them .

Archived