IGNORED

Championship Attendances

Davefevs

35 minutes ago, spudski said:

I think you are right Dave. 

Lots of people I know have taken up new past times over the past 18 months, who were regular visitors to the Gate.

Plus others like myself, just find the whole experience of getting to the Gate these days, a complete ball ache. It's like having to plan an expedition to the North Pole.

Sat in traffic, road closures, poor off street parking, unreliable and inadequate times of public transport, and the price of pay on the day have all had a negative affect.

There are many that don't know whether they can make a game, until the morning of a game due to personal circumstances. How nice it would be to just jump in the car, or bus, park up, without being thoroughly stressed out, buy a ticket at a reasonable price, and just enjoy the game, be entertained, and have a few hours away from the pressures of the real world.

This is so spot on, I live in BS3 so am fortunate that I can walk, but for many just getting to the ground is an incredibly difficult experience, not helped by appalling transport options in Bristol.

I spoke to my dad (80) yesterday who went in midweek, he went by park & ride & because of some incident on Hartcliffe Way got back home at 11pm, no way would many put up with that sort of nonsense.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Obviously can’t prove but I think there is a general apathy to return.  Fans have had a year away, find other ways to watch or other things to do on a Saturday afternoon.

We are fortunate to have a good Season Card base (13k iirc).

The economic effects of Covid too versus POTD prices. The last two games were “members for a tenner” too.

Over the Champ attendances will trend down, if City can get going our trend may reverse.  If not there will be plenty of 16k attendances.

36 minutes ago, spudski said:

I think you are right Dave. 

Lots of people I know have taken up new past times over the past 18 months, who were regular visitors to the Gate.

I've said many times before, once you stop going it gets easier to stay away. 
For ages I couldn't understand why my mates spent times not going, then our seats were taken for corporate clients ( we were offered them at double what we'd been paying) , add that the football hadn't been great and I started POTD.
I obviously missed a few and it got easier just to not bother. I ended up staying away for some time.
Many times, including recently , it's only the social side that has kept me coming. I bumped into mates I used to go with 30 plus years ago Wednesday, it was great. But people are being priced out of it.
Your other point is very valid too Spudski, Saturdays I get a Bus to the centre and walk to the pub, the Bus is so slow,  I've never bothered to get the link Bus to Bemmie, just too much of a pain. So door to (Pub) door takes around an hour & 15. I drove Wednesday, 40 minutes and then a 20 minute walk to the Coopers. As you say ball ache

Archived