IGNORED

Queens Park Rangers away match-day thread

Last season - somehow - we won 2-1 away against this lot with goals from Wells and Nagy and lost 0-2 when QPR came to Ashton Gate.

I always associate the West London outfit with attractive football and a flair/class player or two, players such as Rodney Marsh, Gerry Francis and the late Ray Wilkins (the oldest player to have played for QPR at 39 years 352 days.)

Another being Stan Bowles who once uttered one of football's most famous quotes: ‘I blew the lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic.’ Sadly he is now struggling with Alzeimer's Disease and requiring full-time care, this article gives a flavour of his colourful past and his desperately sad present situation: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9115627/Stan-Bowles-Don-Shanks-led-thrilling-lives-Stans-Alzheimers-battle-wiped-memories.html

They signed ex-City fans favourite Uncle Albert in 2020, following his departure from Nottingham Forest, which enabled Adomah to reunite with his boyhood club. He was on the bench on Tuesday night and was introduced early in the second half, which led to a spirited QPR display with Bournemouth holding on to beat the Hoops 2-1, their first defeat of the season. Willock was booked in that match and may well have seen red so no doubt the football gods will conspire with him having a blinder against us!

Of course another player connection is Nahki Wells who enjoyed a very successful loan spell with them before joining us for an undisclosed fee which was reputedly circa £5m. He scored 20 goals in 66 appearances for QPR and has scored 15 times for us in 67 appearances.

Our starting 11 will be very interesting. Wells did little to impress when he came on in the week, COD and sniffer Williams may make the squad, rather suspect that JD will start ahead of ZV. Charlie Austin and Moses Odubajo are apparently set to return to the QPR squad.

Mark Warburton’s team have had a good start to the season with 12 points and are currently sitting seventh in the league. The ex-Brentford, Rangers and Nottingham Forest boss took over in May 2019, guiding QPR to 13th in his first season and a ninth-placed finish last term.

Although they are only three points better off than us (just imagine if we had not conceded in added time against Blackpool and Luton we’d be a point ahead of them) they are playing with a swagger and when I’ve watched them this season they have looked pretty good, especially going forward. Across the division, they are 4th highest for both possession and pass accuracy and fifth for shots per game (13.6.)

Few QPR facts:

- In June 2019, the club gifted the stadium naming rights to The Kiyan Prince Foundation, a local charity set up by the father of Kiyan Prince. Prince was a former QPR youth player who was fatally stabbed in 2006.

- They pioneered AstroTurf pitches in the UK – they were the first football club to replace grass with artificial pitches in 1981 and they were the first club to remove them in 1988.

- In January 2002, a family of QPR fans called the Winton’s funded the transfer of Danny Shittu to QPR from Charlton Athletic – the Winton family also funded the signing of striker Doudou the summer prior.

- In 1967 QPR became the first Third Division team to lift the League Cup, coming from two goals behind to beat West Brom 3-2 in the final.

- The club's name comes from the fact most of the original players came from the Queen's Park area of north-west London.

- They have a few nick names including the Rs, Rangers and the Hoops.

To the1,890 traveling fans, enjoy your day in the smoke and cheer the team throughout.

To end on an optimistic note this is just the kind of game where we might just produce a surprise result, COYR.

• Like 12
  • Robin 2
1 minute ago, Jerseybean said:

Last season - somehow - we won 2-1 away against this lot with goals from Wells and Nagy and lost 0-2 when QPR came to Ashton Gate.

I always associate the West London outfit with attractive football and a flair/class player or two, players such as Rodney Marsh, Gerry Francis and the late Ray Wilkins (the oldest player to have played for QPR at 39 years 352 days.)

Another being Stan Bowles who once uttered one of football's most famous quotes: ‘I blew the lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic.’ Sadly he is now struggling with Alzeimer's Disease and requiring full-time care, this article gives a flavour of his colourful past and his desperately sad present situation: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9115627/Stan-Bowles-Don-Shanks-led-thrilling-lives-Stans-Alzheimers-battle-wiped-memories.html

They signed ex-City fans favourite Uncle Albert in 2020, following his departure from Nottingham Forest, which enabled Adomah to reunite with his boyhood club. He was on the bench on Tuesday night and was introduced early in the second half, which led to a spirited QPR display with Bournemouth holding on to beat the Hoops 2-1, their first defeat of the season. Willock was booked in that match and may well have seen red so no doubt the football gods will conspire with him having a blinder against us!

Of course another player connection is Nahki Wells who enjoyed a very successful loan spell with them before joining us for an undisclosed fee which was reputedly circa £5m. He scored 20 goals in 66 appearances for QPR and has scored 15 times for us in 67 appearances.

Our starting 11 will be very interesting. Wells did little to impress when he came on in the week, COD and sniffer Williams may make the squad, rather suspect that JD will start ahead of ZV. Charlie Austin and Moses Odubajo are apparently set to return to the QPR squad.

Mark Warburton’s team have had a good start to the season with 12 points and are currently sitting seventh in the league. The ex-Brentford, Rangers and Nottingham Forest boss took over in May 2019, guiding QPR to 13th in his first season and a ninth-placed finish last term.

Although they are only three points better off than us (just imagine if we had not conceded in added time against Blackpool and Luton we’d be a point ahead of them) they are playing with a swagger and when I’ve watched them this season they have looked pretty good, especially going forward. Across the division, they are 4th highest for both possession and pass accuracy and fifth for shots per game (13.6.)

Few QPR facts:

- In June 2019, the club gifted the stadium naming rights to The Kiyan Prince Foundation, a local charity set up by the father of Kiyan Prince. Prince was a former QPR youth player who was fatally stabbed in 2006.

- They pioneered AstroTurf pitches in the UK – they were the first football club to replace grass with artificial pitches in 1981 and they were the first club to remove them in 1988.

- In January 2002, a family of QPR fans called the Winton’s funded the transfer of Danny Shittu to QPR from Charlton Athletic – the Winton family also funded the signing of striker Doudou the summer prior.

- In 1967 QPR became the first Third Division team to lift the League Cup, coming from two goals behind to beat West Brom 3-2 in the final.

- The club's name comes from the fact most of the original players came from the Queen's Park area of north-west London.

To the1,890 traveling fans, enjoy your day in the smoke and cheer the team throughout.

To end on an optimistic note this is just the kind of game where we might just produce a surprise result, COYR.

Tough one for us today away. QPR are on a 3 3 1 win, draw and lose ratio. We are on a 2 3 2. Are away form as we know is good. The bookies have QPR as the most probable winners. However for me a 2-2 result would be quite good for us and I have everything crossed for us to sneak away from the hoops stadium with 3 points especially if we keep COD back on the bench and let him loose in the second half.

COYRedssssss and the almost 2K of you today visiting London have a bloody good time, keep singing, drink some cider, look out for one another , enjoy a City win and most importantly keep safe 

• Like 3
50 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Few QPR facts:

Condensed Version 

QPR

In West London

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
16 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Condensed Version 

QPR

In West London

Loftus Road
Loftus Road, known as the Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium since 2019, is an all-seater football stadium in White City, London, England, which is home to Queens Park Rangers. In 1981, it became the first stadium in British professional football to have an artificial pitch of Omniturf installed. This remained in use until 1988, after which a natural grass pitch was reintroduced.
  • Like 1
49 minutes ago, Selred said:

What pressure? We are midtable 

Yes, we are mid-table. I just meant that at this early stage of the season, with some tough games coming up when points might be hard to come by, it is easy to get sucked into the lower echelons of the table which can have a negative effect on confidence. 

57 minutes ago, Offside said:

Yes, we are mid-table. I just meant that at this early stage of the season, with some tough games coming up when points might be hard to come by, it is easy to get sucked into the lower echelons of the table which can have a negative effect on confidence. 

absolutely, without conceded the late goals against Blackpool & Luton, we would be 7th, level on points with the last play-off spot. As it is we are just 4 pts off the bottom 3 with, as you say, some tough games coming up.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Offside said:

I’ve got a bad feeling we’re going to lose today, but hopefully I’m wrong. 

Those 4 points we’ve dropped by conceding late goals against Blackpool and Luton really have created more pressure. 

Just noticed QPR are the "Racing Post's" home banker of the day.........which is not necessarily a bad thing, as they  tend to have a poor record with their tips?   

My first ever away game.  On the train with my kids and looking forward to it.  I’ve explained to them that we need to make some noise and it will be a different experience to the family section at Home.

Hoping that the restricted view warning on our tickets doesn’t spoil it for us.  

• Flames 1
  • Robin 9
31 minutes ago, BarneyN said:

My first ever away game.  On the train with my kids and looking forward to it.  I’ve explained to them that we need to make some noise and it will be a different experience to the family section at Home.

Hoping that the restricted view warning on our tickets doesn’t spoil it for us.  

Good Luck.....I hope you and your kids have a brilliant day........and even an away win to enjoy?  

• Robin 1
41 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Just noticed QPR are the "Racing Post's" home banker of the day.........which is not necessarily a bad thing, as they  tend to have a poor record with their tips?   

According we are the best away team over the last two seasons in the Championship, that does seem. bit of an odd home banker. Although maybe that's to entice people to bet who don't know about our away record?