IGNORED

Results v entertainment

Robbored

A no brainer I'm afraid. It's an old, hackneyed phrase, but football is a results-driven business. Ask Chris Hughton.

Sexy football is a luxury you can afford to indulge in when you have the right players and are in, at the very least, a secure position in your league. 

In our situation, Pearson's priorities are, quite rightly, stability, solidity and steady progress. Be hard to beat, and work to improve from there. It's unrealistic, frankly, to expect anything else at the moment.  

I do agree, though, that success and attractive football are not mutually exclusive. I feel quietly optimistic that NP will produce a more entertaining football in the fullness of time, but after over 60 years of watching City I have acquired a capacity for patience that some OTIB members lack.

It'll get better. In the meantime, enjoy the fact that we've got a bloke in charge who actually knows what he's doing and is currently delivering what most people said they'd settle for at the start of the season - mid-table safety.

Or to put all that more succinctly, be thankful for what you've got and stop moaning.

50 minutes ago, Robbored said:

An imponderable question but would you prefer to get good results but whilst being bored stiff by the turgid football? 

I guess the question for me is one person’s “bored stiff, turgid” might be another’s “I’m enjoying the discipline and teamwork” for example.

I always revert back to 17-18, when we won two home games v Boro and Forest.  Both were low in excitement / chances, but high in discipline, organisation, team shape, etc….we ground out wins, whilst giving the opposition bugger-all.  Personally, I loved that.  So I would happily watch that.

I didn’t like the early days of 13-14….pass, pass, pass, back to the back four….boom.  That was boring, and losing football too.

I appreciate the question is hypothetical, but IMO winning and excitement go hand in hand.

Firstly, winning football is exciting! I'm sure none of us would be bored seeing us climb into the automatic places by winning 1-0 every week.
Equally, goal scoring is exciting, even if they are "low quality" goals. Fans always get the most animated at goal mouth action, regardless of the standard of football that produced it.

Looking at it the other way, "exciting" football tends to ultimately produce wins. What is "exciting"? Maybe it's creating lots of good chances, maybe it's being very high intensity and controlling games, some replies have even suggested that it's being really solid and disciplined. Whatever your definition of "exciting football", it's almost always something that contributes towards being better than the opposition and winning games.

It would be incredibly difficult to produce a consistently winning team that fans found very boring to watch, and equally difficult to produce a team that played quality exciting football every week but rarely won a game.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

An imponderable question but would you prefer to get good results but whilst being bored stiff by the turgid football? 

Another one of your negative posts. Go and watch the gas. If you support City then please be positive.

the championship is a tough league and i think sometimes we forget this. I think we are doing average but to be better entertained we need a few pacey players to get are bums of the seats. Not everyone will agree with this i know but i feel most clubs try to play the pep way which is great when you have the players but it does become a bit of a chess match.im sure alot watch itv 4 match revisited thats the football i would love to see. Yes i know will never happen but one can hope.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Right now, going down would be a financial disaster for the club so results to keep us at this level is the priority; the performances will follow. That said and Luton aside, the performances so far season are an improvement on anything I saw last season. 

1 hour ago, CliftonCliff said:

A no brainer I'm afraid. It's an old, hackneyed phrase, but football is a results-driven business. Ask Chris Hughton.

Sexy football is a luxury you can afford to indulge in when you have the right players and are in, at the very least, a secure position in your league. 

In our situation, Pearson's priorities are, quite rightly, stability, solidity and steady progress. Be hard to beat, and work to improve from there. It's unrealistic, frankly, to expect anything else at the moment.  

I do agree, though, that success and attractive football are not mutually exclusive. I feel quietly optimistic that NP will produce a more entertaining football in the fullness of time, but after over 60 years of watching City I have acquired a capacity for patience that some OTIB members lack.

It'll get better. In the meantime, enjoy the fact that we've got a bloke in charge who actually knows what he's doing and is currently delivering what most people said they'd settle for at the start of the season - mid-table safety.

Or to put all that more succinctly, be thankful for what you've got and stop moaning.

Very low expectations deliver very poor outcomes in my experience.    

What we have is boring football and poor results right now, so quite what we need to be thankful for I'm really not sure.   Is it that we get to continue to give the club our hard earned cash to see the team bore us to death for 90 minutes and then concede an inevitable last minute goal that sends us all skipping away into the evening?  I have to say, I'm loving that privelege, can't get enough of it.  Or are we being gratefuil that Mr Sunshine has graced us with his presence and deigned to share those golden nuggets of wisdom with us we get to see in pre and post-match interviews?  Personally, I'm loving contributing to that because that after all is what really matters - aren't we top of the league on manager interviews?      

Frankly, I'd take either more entertaining football or better results at this stage - literally any improvement anywhere we can get it.  Both would be nrivana.  Woudl be great if that started today please.         

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Whilst I’m 100% behind NP. That dished up Wednesday was horrendous . Just lumping it . No football being played at all . Don’t help when you start with 4 centre halves mind. Oh & the long throws , ******* hell. 
However, as we’re at the start of the rebuild . It’s important just to stay in the league. As the squad evolves I’m sure the football will get better. 

I guess it depends on why you go to football - I go to be entertained and that means enjoying players that get me excited. The  likes Smudger, Walsh, Murray et el were all a joy to watch. Players like Gow, Newman, Tinnion all gave as much entertainment with their clever play.

What I really hate is dull and boring football and in 50+ years I’ve seen plenty! 

The other night was poor, we didn't deserve anything and more or less nicked a point.
The previous games I quite enjoyed. There is a balance though, we need results, we want good football.
Not easy getting the two together. We have to improve on the last two years though, it's a low bar and so far there are signs. But to paraphrase the Beatles...

It's a long and minding road , long way to go.

53 minutes ago, 1team said:

2007/8 was a great season, football wasn't sexy but lots of edge of seat stuff and won plenty of games albeit often by the odd goal, so entertainment doesn't have to be like watching Brazil!

First half of the season, especially at home thought we were technically good and with decent control control, at other times we certainly rode our luck.

On the road we were counterattacking and had to absorb a lot of pressure etc.

2nd half of the season, definitely more as you describe.

Archived