IGNORED

Results v entertainment

Robbored

Given the current situation at City, results are all that matters, as retaining our Championship status is paramount. 

Of course we all want to see entertaining football - goodness knows it costs enough in money, time and emotional investment to be a football fan. 

Add to this the fact that we all understand why the club is where it is and that we have had no direct influence on or over the events of recent years, and it's no surprise that we're all experiencing frustration and disappointment with what we are having to endure.

But to the trained eye, progress is being made - albeit unspectacular. We have a good man in Nige and he's been very open and clear about the task in hand. 

If you're craving a nugget or two of "entertainment", then take a look up the road at the belters in blue and imagine being in that mess. 

In the meantime, hold on to your hats and saviour the occasional loveliness of a day like yesterday - which was a reminder that in the end, it's goals that win football matches and nothing else really matters.

Personally I'll take results over entertainment but the problem I have with questions like this is that people's views on 'entertainment' differ. Some like the crass crap that is Men Behaving Badly while others prefer the intellectual superior comedy that is Yes Minister. In footballing terms some want to see wingers chasing balls and crossing into the box and no regard for defence while others enjoy football as a chess match gently seeking openings to break down the opposition. The Italians for one seem to enjoy defending as much as attacking play. Goals certainly don't always mean a good game. One of the worst games I ever saw at Ashton Gate was a 4-4 draw with Wrexham in the FA Cup. Despite the scoreline the football from both sides was dire. 

22 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

On the contrary the question is quite ponderable.

Arsenal won the double in 1971 by being boring and winning games 1- 0, if City won the league and were boring I'd take that.

Arsenal fans certainly enjoyed taunting the opposition.

I saw Arsenal that season while I was a student in London and they were not boring, scored some great goals and had a mean defence, Charli George scored some spectacular goals

12 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

I saw Arsenal that season while I was a student in London and they were not boring, scored some great goals and had a mean defence, Charli George scored some spectacular goals

Maybe I'm a tad biased as grew up supporting Spurs and also saw a lot of the Arsenal when they did the double, including their lucky win at Tottenham to clinch the title.

As you say their modus operandi was to have a mean defence and snatch a goal through Radford or Kennedy  hence the 1-0 to the Arsenal chant.

Even their most biased fans would not call them entertaining but they loved them as they  just ground out results and kept winning.

Looks like we will have to agree to disagree

22 hours ago, CliftonCliff said:

A no brainer I'm afraid. It's an old, hackneyed phrase, but football is a results-driven business. Ask Chris Hughton.

Sexy football is a luxury you can afford to indulge in when you have the right players and are in, at the very least, a secure position in your league. 

In our situation, Pearson's priorities are, quite rightly, stability, solidity and steady progress. Be hard to beat, and work to improve from there. It's unrealistic, frankly, to expect anything else at the moment.  

I do agree, though, that success and attractive football are not mutually exclusive. I feel quietly optimistic that NP will produce a more entertaining football in the fullness of time, but after over 60 years of watching City I have acquired a capacity for patience that some OTIB members lack.

It'll get better. In the meantime, enjoy the fact that we've got a bloke in charge who actually knows what he's doing and is currently delivering what most people said they'd settle for at the start of the season - mid-table safety.

Or to put all that more succinctly, be thankful for what you've got and stop moaning.

Brilliantly put. We don't panic buy players we don't need, blood the youth and integrate with quality. This will take patience and time.

23 hours ago, Robbored said:

An imponderable question but would you prefer to get good results but whilst being bored stiff by the turgid football? 

I’d accept being bored stiff if the end result was promotion but mid-table and bored stiff then no thanks unless it’s mid-table and bored stiff in the premiership. 

Archived