IGNORED

Massengo

Jimbo76

12 minutes ago, Coppello said:

‘Pre-assist’ is a ridiculous term but Massengo’s for the first goal today was ridiculous. Intercepted the ball at the edge of our box, quickly offloaded the ball and received it again just before the halfway line. Then ran down the wing to cut it back to Weimann who offloaded it to Martin. He did all of the work but it doesn’t count as a goal contribution. 

In Wyscout data he will get a second assist!

I thought he set the tone from his interception in the opening exchange.  Boy, he chased the ball down so much today....in part because Bakinson can't (he brings other things).

Used the ball pretty well.  Was he shoved late on too, as he burst into the box?  Thought ref missed some obvious fouls on our players (Pring, Semenyo, Massengo).

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I thought he set the tone from his interception in the opening exchange.  Boy, he chased the ball down so much today....in part because Bakinson can't (he brings other things).

Used the ball pretty well.  Was he shoved late on too, as he burst into the box?  Thought ref missed some obvious fouls on our players (Pring, Semenyo, Massengo).

How many fouls did he draw today Dave? Seemed a good 4 or 5.

Massengo has physically beefed up in the last year or so and we’re seeing the benefits of that extra strength in every game. The more he plays the better he gets and now must be the first name on the team sheet.

No doubt that his performances will have been noticed by bigger clubs so getting him tied down with a longer contract is a must

When LJ signed him it was rumoured that PL clubs were interested him back then - his potential was obvious and a conspiracy theory claimed that City signed him ‘in keeping’ for Chelsea who were under a transfer embargo at the time. LJ be bunked that theory at Senior Reds

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I thought that Bakinson's positioning out of possession was better than I have seen from him before,  I don't know if Wyscout can confirm that with data? I thought he was asked to, and provided some decent support for Tanner on his debut too. 

24 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Quite a few, does go down a little easily sometimes...there was one in a dangerous position where he should have been stronger.

But he's a fine player. New deal, please. NOW.

Just now, winsaw said:

Motm for me today, looked like the game he came of age, he totally bossed the midfield, he was everything I had always hoped he would become , 

I think Mr D Bentley gets that.

Still at only 21 and with a year left on his contract there will likely be top flight clubs across Europe taking a keen interest next summer if he continues to perform well and improve. Someone like Wolves that are going to be desperate for midfielders next summer might see it as well worth it. He’s still got a lot to do to get to the level needed in the PL every week but the ingredients are there

5 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Have you heard about "expected threat"?

I have indeed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for stats as a package, reflecting all the factors that go to make up a team performance. It's just that there is often too much focus on individual metrics applied to individual players rather than the whole picture.

So for me crediting a player with an assist out of context isn't very meaningful.

9 minutes ago, Ostrich said:

Still at only 21 and with a year left on his contract there will likely be top flight clubs across Europe taking a keen interest next summer if he continues to perform well and improve. Someone like Wolves that are going to be desperate for midfielders next summer might see it as well worth it. He’s still got a lot to do to get to the level needed in the PL every week but the ingredients are there

Not Wolves I think because:

1. He's not Portuguese and

2. Mendes isn't his agent.

?

1 hour ago, Gazred said:

Will check when WS updates tomorrow….seemed like quite a few.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Massengo has physically beefed up in the last year or so and we’re seeing the benefits of that extra strength in every game. The more he plays the better he gets and now must be the first name on the team sheet.

No doubt that his performances will have been noticed by bigger clubs so getting him tied down with a longer contract is a must

When LJ signed him it was rumoured that PL clubs were interested him back then - his potential was obvious and a conspiracy theory claimed that City signed him ‘in keeping’ for Chelsea who were under a transfer embargo at the time. LJ be bunked that theory at Senior Reds

He’s now sharp / quick with it, whereas last season / post-COVID break he hadn’t “grown into his new shape”.  That run back against Johansen (who then got booked) was brilliant, and showed a real nimbleness on the turn.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

I thought that Bakinson's positioning out of possession was better than I have seen from him before,  I don't know if Wyscout can confirm that with data? I thought he was asked to, and provided some decent support for Tanner on his debut too. 

I don’t have that data.  Seemed Bakinson was told to stay in the centre of the pitch, and James had to do more legwork as a result.  Of course there were occasions where he ended up on the right, in fact one was a breakaway where a hit a great pass.

36 minutes ago, Ostrich said:

Still 20…..not 21 til next July.  A year younger than Chong at Brum who’s getting huge plaudits.

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Still 20…..not 21 til next July.  A year younger than Chong at Brum who’s getting huge plaudits.

Yeah I meant as in come the summer he’ll still be just 21 and as it stands only 1 year left (I probably wouldn’t be signing a new long-term contract if I was him but I also wouldn’t see a rush to move so he may well do).

If he has a good season, he’ll be a relatively cheap 21 year-old with a good full season in the Championship and clear potential so there’ll be a lot of interest all across Europe.

I have been a hyper critical at times of HNM where there have been faults, however the bloke was excellent all over the pitch today. He didn't stop and look on not once and his passing I thought today was very decent. His other attributes of close control, getting his foot in, shielding the ball away from opponents etc have been on display this season, but today, for me, he stepped up a level further. God bless the kid, if he can keep that up and more, we might have a chance of not being also rans!

The obvious others were of course Bentley and Tanner for slightly different reasons, but I wanted to make a comment about Weimann. He hasn't been at his excellent best in the last couple, but to find the energy to chase that ball and make that pass, when he looked injured and spent only seconds before says a lot about the player and the team/squad for me!! 

6 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I have been a hyper critical at times of HNM where there have been faults, however the bloke was excellent all over the pitch today. He didn't stop and look on not once and his passing I thought today was very decent. His other attributes of close control, getting his foot in, shielding the ball away from opponents etc have been on display this season, but today, for me, he stepped up a level further. God bless the kid, if he can keep that up and more, we might have a chance of not being also rans!

The obvious others were of course Bentley and Tanner for slightly different reasons, but I wanted to make a comment about Weimann. He hasn't been at his excellent best in the last couple, but to find the energy to chase that ball and make that pass, when he looked injured and spent only seconds before says a lot about the player and the team/squad for me!! 

Similar to your last sentence, Bakinson was struggling and doing stretches on the pitch at one point and moments later burst forward and, when he lost possession, through himself into a challenge to get the ball back.

Forget the Vodka.

Forget the Cider.

Forget the Hair.

The only things 'fuc*ing massive' about HNM are his talent, workrate and his prospective pricetag.

Just goes to show what happens if you have a manager who believes in you and your natural game, not crablike progress (aka stagnation) by inches.

Proper Baller. Utterly magnificent again today.

He’s in the third year of a four-year contract. Realistically, I can’t see him signing a new one so I presume we’ll have to sell him at the end of the season to cash in on his value.

I know we can get a fee at the end of his four years because of his age - as long as we offer him a new contract - but it won’t be as big as the one we could get next summer. Enjoy him while we can. He was excellent today. But not as good as he’s likely to become.

I wasn’t at the game today and have only seen the highlights - but how brilliant in the build up to our first goal to see him running at their defence doing step overs. A dimension to his game we haven’t seen enough of. He’s got such huge potential, his work rate is superb, and he’s shown he is able to create as well. 

Archived