IGNORED

4 games undefeated - some momentum building?

headhunter

We'll debate this and review the game in our live Forever Bristol City Podcast at 6.00 PM:

https://www.podbean.com/lsw/voj3TKjf6G?lsid=qyOmghxwuW9 

What a 90 minutes!!!!

Nahki - clinical finish / Massengo - more energy than the Duracell Bunny / Bentley - top drawer saves atoned for Tuesday's error.

The last 2 games could easily have produced NIL points, agree? But they have yielded 4 - does this side have what it takes to push on from here

11 minutes ago, headhunter said:

We'll debate this and review the game in our live Forever Bristol City Podcast at 6.00 PM:

https://www.podbean.com/lsw/voj3TKjf6G?lsid=qyOmghxwuW9 

What a 90 minutes!!!!

Nahki - clinical finish / Massengo - more energy than the Duracell Bunny / Bentley - top drawer saves atoned for Tuesday's error.

The last 2 games could easily have produced NIL points, agree? But they have yielded 4 - does this side have what it takes to push on from here

When the guy complains about massengo as usual and asks what type of player he is, please reply ‘a bloody good one’!

I've just listened this morning. When people aren't speaking, they really should mute their mic. That sound Ian's (It's always Ian's) mic was making when you were talking to someone near the end was annoying. 

The Andi Weimann stuff interested me. 7 goals at Ashton Gate & 18 away. Not scored at Ashton Gate since Dec 2019, missed a lot of last season though. 

I noticed a few have said we have more of the ball at home, so he can't play on the counter, but the previous 2 seasons I'm not too sure how true that is, pretty sure we'd frequently have less possession and concede loads more chances even at AG. 

On Saturday I would love for us to start similarly to how we did against West Brom a couple of years ago, just go out and attack straight away, full backs up high, plenty of people in the box. High risk high reward sort of football, but then most of us expect to lose against Fulham anyway, is it even high risk? 

41 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

The same Fulham that have lost to Blackpool and Reading in 2 of their last 3 games? Nowt to fear.

Agreed. I think that right now, we fare better against teams that take the game to us, hence why we have better results away from home. Fulham will come down here and look to dominate, which should suit us being organised and picking them off on the break. Possibly the same can be said about Bournemouth, too.

Home games against the likes of Luton, Millwall, Coventry etc -- when they sit back and ask us to break them down -- are the ones I fear because we don't have the quality to break them down right now. I accept that because we are where we are. 

I think with NP we are progressing in that at least a style of play is developing, however we concede far too many chances and could easily have lost the last four matches if the opposition had brought their shooting boots with them, I really hope Fulham leave theirs in London.

I am positive about the future but think we are a long way from the finished article

I hope both Ian and Lezz watch the goal back, it was a fantastic header from Pring, he did all he could stooping behind him to try to head clear. If he goes with his feet, it’s a likely og.  It was a great cross, QPR player waiting for a tap-in.

5E8E49B5-140E-4906-9D48-33C87D2F2AB4.thumb.jpeg.1db8e8bb97798f36241f4c288c82be56.jpeg

Bentley is moving to his far post in case Pring mis-heads it or misses it completely and leaves a tap in.  Pring gets his head on the ball…I don’t think he can try and head it past the near post.

7A5294D5-EA22-41DF-B090-08828851368C.thumb.jpeg.800ab940c56dde02816f0c6b05556b11.jpeg

81B5C7A6-A3FB-4FB7-8D73-14F9621883D6.thumb.jpeg.edb5f3a7747e45372553004a0b1ac920.jpeg
The volley back in is hit so well, it’s virtually past Bents as he tries to get back across.

41E594FD-D847-4CDF-BA3D-4EEA8C074FBC.thumb.jpeg.70cb5b9eaf8302dd911bbde229f64867.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

I think with NP we are progressing in that at least a style of play is developing, however we concede far too many chances and could easily have lost the last four matches if the opposition had brought their shooting boots with them, I really hope Fulham leave theirs in London.

I am positive about the future but think we are a long way from the finished article

Of course we are. We're 8 games into a three-year rebuilding project. We will be inconsistent for a while yet. 

15 minutes ago, tin said:

Of course we are. We're 8 games into a three-year rebuilding project. We will be inconsistent for a while yet. 

This post alone should be pinned to the top of this forum.

If, as everyone is hoping, we are looking to finish midtable, we are not going to do that without losing a few games/looking 2nd best to the opposition. 

I think there were more signs of evolution in the style of play on Saturday, fewer long throws defending further up the pitch and occasional spells of playing the ball on the ground for longer. I think we will continue to see those occasional spells grow in frequency as the project continues.

One thing though, Nigel doesn't strike me as a play the ball out from the back type.

5 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

This post alone should be pinned to the top of this forum.

If, as everyone is hoping, we are looking to finish midtable, we are not going to do that without losing a few games/looking 2nd best to the opposition. 

I think there were more signs of evolution in the style of play on Saturday, fewer long throws defending further up the pitch and occasional spells of playing the ball on the ground for longer. I think we will continue to see those occasional spells grow in frequency as the project continues.

One thing though, Nigel doesn't strike me as a play the ball out from the back type.

Definitely not. I've not seen every game, but I genuinely can't recall us doing it very often, if at all.

We're also not just knocking it back towards Bentley anywhere near as much as we used to either.

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree with Ian that teams don’t sit in at Ashton Gate….phallacy….is the right word.  Most teams press us too.

Weve also played some niggly teams so far this season.

I personally think that teams did sit back at Ashton Gate but probably not since some time in Lee Johnson's reign. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

How did you see 4231 @Curr Avon?  

Did you listen on the radio rather than watch on Robinstv, or across the road from Radio Rentals? ?

Same with Lezz saying Baker at LB!

At least Ian got the formation 3412 right.

The weird thing is I quoted this when the team sheet was published.

I must have looked at the BBC website, with their 'formation' following that (despite your previous warnings) and changed my mind.

Silly me. ?

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I hope both Ian and Lezz watch the goal back, it was a fantastic header from Pring, he did all he could stooping behind him to try to head clear. If he goes with his feet, it’s a likely og.  It was a great cross, QPR player waiting for a tap-in.

5E8E49B5-140E-4906-9D48-33C87D2F2AB4.thumb.jpeg.1db8e8bb97798f36241f4c288c82be56.jpeg

Bentley is moving to his far post in case Pring mis-heads it or misses it completely and leaves a tap in.  Pring gets his head on the ball…I don’t think he can try and head it past the near post.

7A5294D5-EA22-41DF-B090-08828851368C.thumb.jpeg.800ab940c56dde02816f0c6b05556b11.jpeg

81B5C7A6-A3FB-4FB7-8D73-14F9621883D6.thumb.jpeg.edb5f3a7747e45372553004a0b1ac920.jpeg
The volley back in is hit so well, it’s virtually past Bents as he tries to get back across.

41E594FD-D847-4CDF-BA3D-4EEA8C074FBC.thumb.jpeg.70cb5b9eaf8302dd911bbde229f64867.jpeg

The ball hits Prings head when he’s on the ground. Not sure what the bloke was bitching about Bentley for. So many we were lucky posts it’s nauseating. We certainly weren’t there. We played well at the ball gave up possession but hit them with TWO counter attack goals. Has no one ever watched Pearson or one of his teams, this should be no surprise. 

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

The ball hits Prings head when he’s on the ground. Not sure what the bloke was bitching about Bentley for. So many we were lucky posts it’s nauseating. We certainly weren’t there. We played well at the ball gave up possession but hit them with TWO counter attack goals. Has no one ever watched Pearson or one of his teams, this should be no surprise. 

And the assist from Weimann for the winner was a thing of beauty.

Ian mentioned that we were fortunate because the last defender, de Vijs, slips over. But that was because Andi curved the ball in front of 2 defenders and behind De Vijs, leaving him flailing to free Nahki for the deadly finish.

@Davefevs apologies if you've done this already, but if you have the time to illustrate the trajectory of that pass to Nahki I'm sure that OTIBers would love to see it.

4 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Ian mentioned that we were fortunate because the last defender, De Viis, slips over. But that was because Andi curved the ball behind De Viis, leaving him flailing to free Nakhi for the deadly finish.

Exactly!

5 hours ago, tin said:

Agreed. I think that right now, we fare better against teams that take the game to us, hence why we have better results away from home. Fulham will come down here and look to dominate, which should suit us being organised and picking them off on the break. Possibly the same can be said about Bournemouth, too.

Home games against the likes of Luton, Millwall, Coventry etc -- when they sit back and ask us to break them down -- are the ones I fear because we don't have the quality to break them down right now. I accept that because we are where we are. 

Don't really think Luton sat back especially, 19 shots to our 13 IIRC.

38 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hard to know how to approach the Fulham game tbh, we have little to lose but we wouldn't want to be on the end of a hammering either.

City unbeaten in 4 and on a mini roll whilst Fulham lost at home on Saturday - a double edged sword in some ways. Fulham could be highly motivated to get straight back to winning ways and come flying out the blocks - which could leave them open to the counter of course or they might have lost a little confidence and an early City goal could deflate them even more - it’s certainly going to be a fascinating game.

As per usual Nige will stick to the 4-4-2 template which is the perfect shape for any changes that might be deemed necessary.

I’m really looking forward to the game.

Just now, Robbored said:

City unbeaten in 4 and on a mini roll whilst Fulham lost at home on Saturday - a double edged sword in some ways. Fulham could be highly motivated to get straight back to winning ways and come flying out the blocks - which could leave them open to the counter of course or they might have lost a little confidence and an early City goal could deflate them even more - it’s certainly going to be a fascinating game.

As per usual Nige will stick to the 4-4-2 template which is the perfect shape for any changes that might be deemed necessary.

I’m really looking forward to the game.

We won't have much possession but possession isn't everything- as you say an early goal could set the tone positively for us.

I have my reservations about 4-4-2 but it's good if you're not looking to dominate the ball, the tempo etc...at decent levels these days.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We won't have much possession but possession isn't everything- as you say an early goal could set the tone positively for us.

I have my reservations about 4-4-2 but it's good if you're not looking to dominate the ball, the tempo etc...at decent levels these days.

My only issue with 4 at the back is that Atkinson seems to play as if he is in a 3, he takes up almost a sweeper position on the esge of the area and beyond. It's good when he intercepts and goes on a run, or for cutting out pull backs which we seemed to be susceptible to before, but it does allow players to run in behind.  Bobby DR will probably love that.

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

4-4-2 is a template used by numerous managers world wide because It allows flexibility to change the shape of the team if necessary with minimal upheaval.

If Nige thinks it’s time to adopt 3 at the back then he moves just one player. Same if he feels 5 across the middle is needed or that 4-4-1-1 might be better.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hard to know how to approach the Fulham game tbh, we have little to lose but we wouldn't want to be on the end of a hammering either.

I'd play a counter attacking game. I don't mean that we should sit back and defend deep but I think we have to accept we're not going to dominate possession so use a more reserved press and spring attacks when we win the ball.

6 hours ago, tin said:

Luton sat back? The could easily have been three up at half time!

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Don't really think Luton sat back especially, 19 shots to our 13 IIRC.

I’m not saying they did, Pops. But that sort of plucky club — the type that some people expect us to rollover if we just show up — is usually the sort that causes us problems. 

2 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Ian mentioned that we were fortunate because the last defender, de Vijs, slips over. But that was because Andi curved the ball in front of 2 defenders and behind De Vijs, leaving him flailing to free Nahki for the deadly finish.

@Davefevs apologies if you've done this already, but if you have the time to illustrate the trajectory of that pass to Nahki I'm sure that OTIBers would love to see it.

Just watch the highlights….doesn’t need a “telestrator”.

Archived