IGNORED

Tanner

formerly known as ivan

Promising I'd say, was a part of several good bits of build up play in the 1st half, linking well with HNM and Bakinson. Although at times left exposed 1 on 2, I would say he allowed his man to turn back and whip a cross in too often. Overhit two crosses from good positions, but made one really good saving tackle too. Overall promising debut and I'd much rather keep him in at RB than play Simpson or Vyner.

13 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Seems to be a constant problem . Why was he getting overloaded on. Who wasn’t tracking back ? 

Well, our formation didn't have a right sided midfielder, so it's quite hard to say. Realistically, one of the central midfielders should probably come across and help out. James I think was that side. Saying that it could equally be the right sided central defender of the three, which I guess would be Kalas. Either way, they were getting joy on that side and it was difficult for Tanner, but he coped OK.

25 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Do you lot watch the football or do you just see cross from right side and assume Tanner didn’t stop the cross? They had a man advantage on the side almost every time. CMs didn’t come across to help. If Tanner charges out to cut out crosses another man runs in behind to the byline. 

He wasn’t perfect but he put in a fine display against a good side. Nice to have someone who can contribute on both sides of the pitch. Should be retaining his place off his performance.

Exactly this.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Do you lot watch the football or do you just see cross from right side and assume Tanner didn’t stop the cross? They had a man advantage on the side almost every time. CMs didn’t come across to help. If Tanner charges out to cut out crosses another man runs in behind to the byline. 

He wasn’t perfect but he put in a fine display against a good side. Nice to have someone who can contribute on both sides of the pitch. Should be retaining his place off his performance.

It’s not just your first paragraph either. Championship pro wide players are going to get crosses in. You can’t stop every single one even if you are set up correctly.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Seems to be a constant problem . Why was he getting overloaded on. Who wasn’t tracking back ? 

⬇️⬇️⬇️

18 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

Well, our formation didn't have a right sided midfielder, so it's quite hard to say. Realistically, one of the central midfielders should probably come across and help out. James I think was that side. Saying that it could equally be the right sided central defender of the three, which I guess would be Kalas. Either way, they were getting joy on that side and it was difficult for Tanner, but he coped OK.

Yep, shape did him no favours at all.  Kalas wanted him too close to him imho, which meant McCallum had acres on their left.  The few occasions Kalas pushed him onto their LWB we made them hit hopeful passes.  Think we could’ve shunted the whole team across the pitch 10 yards and made it much harder for them.

Just watched interview.  Nice.

Difficult debut for Tanner against a team who I think will be top 6 at least.

And, as others have said, the shape of the team didn't help him with all their attacks down his side, he didn't have a great deal of support. 

He looked a bit shell shocked at the start and some termed it out of his depth, but he grew into the game and did ok. Big jump from L2 to Loftus Road.

Deserves a start against Fulham imo, get a few games under his belt.

Being honest, I didn’t looked quite at Championship level yet. He was okay but I felt he looked somewhat out of his comfort zone in terms of the pace and intensity of the game.

However that is not unusual for a player making a step up and there was plenty there to suggest he could be a good player for us in time.

I think he did enough to deserve to start next time out but I think it will be a while until he really finds his level here.

1 hour ago, Jimbo76 said:

Out of his depth in the first half as QPR targeted our right side.

Better second.

Distribution and crossing poor but defensively did ok.

But we didn't buy a finished product. Definite potential.

I don't think he was out of his depth at all. He was targeted in the first half, without doubt, but as we went in 1-0 up that kind of tells a bit of story! He did not look out of place, so I would beg to differ!

• Like 2

Interesting reading this thread, not sure I agree with anyone ?

Against a very good passing side, that has very good movement and technical players in advanced positions, I thought he did well.
Got forward a bit and tried to get to the byline on occasions. Tackled well, that last one was important. Looked solid.
My only criticism is with his delivery or final ball, but that will come as he settles. 
All in all, a very steady debut with plenty of promise.

• Like 3

I thought it was a decent debut. 0verrun occasionally 1st half but he had little to no cover. One very good tackle towards the end of the game. Showed decent technique on the ball, mostly took the sensible defensive options and didn't get caught in possession. If he gains the confidence of Nige and he gets decent game time we may have found ourselves a right back. 

• Like 1

wow !  What a difference of opinions on this thread.  from did well...to poor....  everyone sees it different.  

The main man is NP, and in his opinion, in his interview, TANNER,  did well...I will go with that one. ?   But respect to those who were there and can give an opinion.   The beauty of the game a !

Edited by DT The Optimist
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, pl00peh91 said:

For what it’s worth my Fotmob app says he did well, although I wasn’t there personally!

FC6F8BE8-5CCE-4E16-97B3-F6D1032CE124.png

I've no idea what that app is but if you pay for it get your money back now. The ratings are clearly taken from the scant highlights provided by Sky.

Ok, Weimann held up Massengo's cross for Martin's opener, later broke and put in a quality ball for the winner - so two creditworthy assists. Otherwise he did sweet FA other than moan, flap, cheat, flap, point, flap, point some more and anonymously lead the line signally failing to hold the ball up or threaten their defence.

Star player? Never in a million years.

One thing about watching football at the subbuteo type stadium that is Loftus rd is you get a birds eye view of the defence at that end.

The one thing I kept thinking was the lack of communication Tanner seemed to be getting from his fellow defenders. For me Kalas should have been in his ear with encouragement and advice all game but I only saw it once or twice. A lot of the times he looked a bit lost and looking for instructions.

It doesn’t seem to be Kalas’ way, perhaps that’s why he isn’t captain anymore

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

One thing about watching football at the subbuteo type stadium that is Loftus rd is you get a birds eye view of the defence at that end.

The one thing I kept thinking was the lack of communication Tanner seemed to be getting from his fellow defenders. For me Kalas should have been in his ear with encouragement and advice all game but I only saw it once or twice. A lot of the times he looked a bit lost and looking for instructions.

Having said that I thought he did ok and looks a good prospect 

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I thought it was a decent debut. 0verrun occasionally 1st half but he had little to no cover. One very good tackle towards the end of the game. Showed decent technique on the ball, mostly took the sensible defensive options and didn't get caught in possession. If he gains the confidence of Nige and he gets decent game time we may have found ourselves a right back. 

Exactly.  I’ve no idea how good it bad he’s gonna be but I like the theory of top club junior, goes down the leagues, wants to make it back up the ladder.  I call it the Kieran Trippier model….who I saw at Burnley, on loan initially from Man City, then moving permanently there….wanting to play to show he could get back up to that level.

If George is of that ilk, it bodes well.

I was more than happy with him today.

27 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

I've no idea what that app is but if you pay for it get your money back now. The ratings are clearly taken from the scant highlights provided by Sky.

Ok, Weimann held up Massengo's cross for Martin's opener, later broke and put in a quality ball for the winner - so two creditworthy assists. Otherwise he did sweet FA other than moan, flap, cheat, flap, point, flap, point some more and anonymously lead the line signally failing to hold the ball up or threaten their defence.

Star player? Never in a million years.

It uses an algorithm, I wouldn’t lay too much stock in it.  Weimann (is he flappy?) got two assists and that weights his scores massively.

15 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I watched on Robinstv so cannot comment on comms between Tanner and Kalas, but I thought Kalas’s positional play in terms of supporting Tanner wasn’t great…but I can rarely fault his commitment to the cause in other aspects.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Exactly.  I’ve no idea how good it bad he’s gonna be but I like the theory of top club junior, goes down the leagues, wants to make it back up the ladder.  I call it the Kieran Trippier model….who I saw at Burnley, on loan initially from Man City, then moving permanently there….wanting to play to show he could get back up to that level.

It uses an algorithm, I wouldn’t lay too much stock in it.  Weimann (is he flappy?) got two assists and that weights his scores massively.

I watched on Robinstv so cannot comment on comms between Tanner and Kalas, but I thought Kalas’s positional play in terms of supporting Tanner wasn’t great…but I can rarely fault his commitment to the cause in other aspects.

Yes, I’m loathe to criticising Kalas because he’s immense at putting his head and body on the line. I just remember other debuts, in defence especially and there’s always a Carey, Taylor figure next to them making life easier. 

• Like 1

I thought Tanner struggled early doors but worked his way into it. That's why they targeted our right side, with success.

Problem with his like, of which we seem to have plenty at AG, is they're not great defensively, nor that great getting forward. They're something in nothing.

Bryan , possibly our most famous recent full/wing back prodigy was an exception and actually pretty good going forward but was little more than a defensive liability. He couldn't defend for toffee. I caught the highlights of Fulham's demolition of Birmingham midweek and was amazed they got anything out of the game, what with Bryan getting royally roasted cross after cross.

Hopefully Tanner will improve with experience.

1 minute ago, BTRFTG said:

I thought Tanner struggled early doors but worked his way into it. That's why they targeted our right side, with success.

Problem with his like, of which we seem to have plenty at AG, is they're not great defensively, nor that great getting forward. They're something in nothing.

Bryan , possibly our most famous recent full/wing back prodigy was an exception and actually pretty good going forward but was little more than a defensive liability. He couldn't defend for toffee. I caught the highlights of Fulham's demolition of Birmingham midweek and was amazed they got anything out of the game, what with Bryan getting royally roasted cross after cross.

Hopefully Tanner will improve with experience.

I think they targeted our right side because McCallum is so much better than Odubajo, Willock and Chair like to drift left too.

Its interesting that we saw little of Dickie (RCB) coming forward with the ball.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

It almost felt tactical the way we let them overload our right. We tried to close down McCallum or whichever midfielder but were happy to let it cycle back to Barbet for a deeper cross where we had Atkinson, Baker and Kalas to head away. If it was it generally worked even though they hit the post once. They had a few more where they got their head to it but a big man in red was always there with them to make sure they didn’t make great contact. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Difficult debut for Tanner against a team who I think will be top 6 at least.

And, as others have said, the shape of the team didn't help him with all their attacks down his side, he didn't have a great deal of support. 

He looked a bit shell shocked at the start and some termed it out of his depth, but he grew into the game and did ok. Big jump from L2 to Loftus Road.

Deserves a start against Fulham imo, get a few games under his belt.

This bit definitely needs emphasisng IMO- big leap from League Two to Championship debut vs a strong and attack minded QPR- a QPR who were one of the form sides from about February onwards last season, retained their key players loanees included and added some other good signings. He's 20 as well?

His debut had good points and bad points, he was often exposed as you say, with that in mind think he did fine- big test next week though, vs (on paper) perhaps the best side in the division.

9 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Spot on. Needed one of the more experienced lads to take a second to have a little chat, encourage him. TBF, the away fans were giving him a lot of encouragement.

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think they targeted our right side because McCallum is so much better than Odubajo, Willock and Chair like to drift left too.

Its interesting that we saw little of Dickie (RCB) coming forward with the ball.

I would assume that they had done homework on our weakness in the full back areas. They would have planned to play the same way and attack certain weak spots of ours regardless of team selection - IMO.