IGNORED

Tanner

formerly known as ivan

14 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

It almost felt tactical the way we let them overload our right. We tried to close down McCallum or whichever midfielder but were happy to let it cycle back to Barbet for a deeper cross where we had Atkinson, Baker and Kalas to head away. If it was it generally worked even though they hit the post once. They had a few more where they got their head to it but a big man in red was always there with them to make sure they didn’t make great contact. 

The focus of my “the little things” feature on twitter this morning.

I don’t think we let them….they just took advantage of poor shape.

I won’t bore you with lots more stats / pics, but they generally cross evenly from both sides, and at significantly lower volume.  City the first entry below the average in pale blue..

65270C11-FAA8-4388-979C-8353D6E79538.jpeg

Edited by Davefevs

It was quite bizarre / painful watching the 2/3 v 1 on Tanner throughout the first half, with little support from the tracking midfielders or Kalas, as the closest centre back. As others have noted, all of this was happening in the absence of any protection on the right wing whatsoever, as Weimann seemed to take up a position effectively on the left wing. 

The only conclusion I can draw is that Pearson was happy to gamble on these crosses not coming to anything, and reinforcing elsewhere to clear and then aim to hit on the counter?

Anyway, long way of saying I thought he did OK in the circumstances, although next time we play to allow the overload (if we did), I would like a Pring-esque crunching tackle from him early doors so it isn't all so nice and friendly on their left wing. 

• Like 1

Tactically George is getting exposed, it’s not his fault.

In a 442 like today, we must be able to shift two banks of four across the pitch and if they cross, it’s touchline crosses, rather than close to the 18 yard line crosses.  We do allow switches too easily.

Its difficult because we are trying to keep two up top, but at some point we are gonna have to accept that either Kalas allows George do give him less close protection or we allow easy crosses in.

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

In a 442 like today, we must be able to shift two banks of four across the pitch and if they cross, it’s touchline crosses, rather than close to the 18 yard line crosses.  We do allow switches too easily.

Its difficult because we are trying to keep two up top, but at some point we are gonna have to accept that either Kalas allows George do give him less close protection or we allow easy crosses in.

They clearly tried to and successfully exploited us down that side in the first half. Williams, Kalas and Tanner struggled a bit at times. 

I thought peteborough looked very good at times first half and were quick and slick in the final third but that was about it. Dembele and Szmodics were a handful at times but faded second half. Second half we were clearly the better side creating better chances and knocking the ball around well.

Edited by Kodjias Wrist

1 hour ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

They clearly tried to and successfully exploited us down that side in the first half. Williams, Kalas and Tanner struggled a bit at times. 

I thought peteborough looked very good at times first half and were quick and slick in the final third but that was about it. Dembele and Szmodics were a handful at times but faded second half. Second half we were clearly the better side creating better chances and knocking the ball around well.

Would’ve liked to see Kalas or Atkinson clatter Dembrle and Szmodics.  They have a comfortable afternoon physically….our 2 CBs should not have allowed that.

48 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

We looked so vulnerable on the right in the last 5 or so minutes. I think other than a slightly silly tug of the shirt by Tanner right in front of the ref that gave them that free kick, he didn't do much else wrong in those final moments.

It was very worrying at the end seeing 6 on 5 in our box as a cross came in, or a line of 7 on 5 if we include Butler on the left who was completely free to cross.

We had changed to 451 and Weimann was right wing. If Tanner goes over to Butler then they then have 6 on 4 in our box which heavily swings the odds in Peterborough's favour to make contact on a cross, so Tanner was probably correct to stay compact close to Kalas. Engaging with Butler might make it harder to put in a quality ball so there is that argument, luckily we dealt with it in the box anyway.

Scott on the left was nice and compact with Pring. Allowing Pring to engage in the wide area with Thompson as Scott sat in for him in the half space close to Kanu.

Tanner didn't have that support. Williams had been moved central with King and James. On a few occasions Weimann looked a liability in protecting that right side.

Obviously Weimann presses a lot up top and makes lots of runs off the ball, but he has never been very good protecting the full back when he's on the wing.

Just as it got into injury time Weimann randomly ran up front out of the picture for a while leaving us vulnerable on the right side. He did this against Fulham too even though he was playing as a right wing back, making a run into a striker position and stayed in that position for bit as Fulham attacked, putting his hands up to apologise to his teammates once he got back.

So probably would have been more solid on that right side if we brought Weimann off and kept Williams wide right and brought on a centre mid to play in the 3.

Not any obvious option from the bench with the current injury problems, but I would say most reliable option playing centre mid to help defend our lead would have been Vyner, and Williams defend that wide area.

Obviously all okay now as we won the game, but just something to think about in future games. Once everyone is fit then we have good options to come on in those situations. Usually Semenyo would come on who we saw last season almost acting like a right back at times as we hung on to a lead sometimes for an entire half of a game!

Semenyo can concentrate on defending and does not need to be in space in a position to break to relieve pressure, as however deep he can easily beat players with space behind to advance us up the pitch.

Really hope we can have the likes of Massengo and Semenyo available soon. Also Wells could have been a good options from the bench yesterday. And I expect Baker would have been brought on into a back 5 in those final moments which may have solved those scary moments. Missing Dasilva too, we really are missing a lot of quality at the moment.

So on Tanner, overall a decent game. Not many mistakes. Gonna be a real player in the future I reckon.

What was obvious to many after the first 3-4 games this season was that we desperately needed a RB and in all honesty throughout the summer. Simpson whilst experienced is not going to do the job that we require in this position and Vyner has been tried numerous times at RB and obviously is nowhere near the quality required 

Getting Tanner in was either opportunistic or someone we have had eyes on for a while and took a punt that he could step up to this standard. So far he hasn’t let anyone down and he appears to be unphased by the step up. 

Hopefully we have unearthed a good player who can cement the RB position for years to come 

Looking across the squad there is a nice blend of youth & experience but the most pleasing thing about this squad is no matter who plays they are playing for each other which can’t be said for those who performed so poorly last season 

NP has created a close knit squad and we can now see that battling 100% effort that us supporters yearn for is all there on display 

When we field a midfield of James, Williams and Massengo who in my opinion will allow us to press teams higher and more often with Tanner RB and either JD or CP at LB, the future looks bright 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Before the rain Dembele was immense for them, a proper engine on him at one point he broke up our attack and was back in an offensive position before I had time to process him breaking up our attack.  Considering his youth and inexperience at this level I think Tanner copped well with Dembele pulling our midfield around we were exposed quite a few times down the osur right their left.  And Tanner copped quite well for most of their forrays hell get better and so will our midfield.  It's to a degree makes the win all the more gratifying. 

Burrows and Butler had way much of the ball down the left because Williams was getting pulled quite narrow and its no surprise they provided both the assists for Sammy.  It would be interesting what stats you have dave as I think dembele must have had quiet a hand in things. 

• Like 1