IGNORED

Henri Lansbury…..crikey!

Davefevs

2 hours ago, handsofclay said:

The reason the rule of advancing a free kick ten yards if it was disputed was dropped was because if the kick was awarded wide on the right or left of the pitch say 40 yards from goal and the defending team disputed it it was moved to 30 yards, so then they disputed it again so it became 20 yards, then it was disputed three more times so it became a goalkick.

Wouldn’t it be a corner?

Should be a yellow and 10 yards.  Would soon stop.

4 hours ago, handsofclay said:

The reason the rule of advancing a free kick ten yards if it was disputed was dropped was because if the kick was awarded wide on the right or left of the pitch say 40 yards from goal and the defending team disputed it it was moved to 30 yards, so then they disputed it again so it became 20 yards, then it was disputed three more times so it became a goalkick.

I thought that when that rule was in, a free kick could only be moved once. A while back so may be mistaken.

3 hours ago, spudski said:

I've been waiting for someone to do this in years...fair play I say.

What's the point in a free kick, if the defensive team are allowed to reorganise. The attackers should be allowed to take it quickly. They've lost all advantage otherwise.

Personally, I'd change the rules. Blow for free kick, but allow to be taken straight away without having to wait for the ref to blow again, or defence to reorganise.

You can take a quick free kick, the problem is the Refs'. They happily let players stand on the ball, kick it away and not do anything about it. They are more concerned with moving ball or the six inches the ball was away from the correct spot. 
The throwing or kicking the ball away is one that should always be a yellow, it would stop over night. Anyone blocking a quick free kick, yellow, again things would change. All these could be done now, Refs' don't . 

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

I thought that when that rule was in, a free kick could only be moved once. A while back so may be mistaken.

You can take a quick free kick, the problem is the Refs'. They happily let players stand on the ball, kick it away and not do anything about it. They are more concerned with moving ball or the six inches the ball was away from the correct spot. 
The throwing or kicking the ball away is one that should always be a yellow, it would stop over night. Anyone blocking a quick free kick, yellow, again things would change. All these could be done now, Refs' don't . 

I only first noticed this after we got promoted back to The Championship under Cotts, so around 2015 & Reading were the first side (they had a guy in midfield, Danny Williams) who were doing this all game.

Obviously since then the likes of Preston (Daniel Johnson) have become past masters at it.

It really is very easy to stop by booking players who stand in front of the ball, kick it away or stop it being returned into play, it baffles me why this has been allowed to creep into the game, just like drawing a foul to win a penalty (Preston again) it is cheating.

4 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Watch the ref at free kicks. They, more often than not, walk away or look away rather than deal with the tactical delaying tactics. Having said that, all teams, including us, block the free kick or kick/carry the ball away. I frigging hate it. You seldom get any advantage from a free kick.

16 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I only first noticed this after we got promoted back to The Championship under Cotts, so around 2015 & Reading were the first side (they had a guy in midfield, Danny Williams) who were doing this all game.

Obviously since then the likes of Preston (Daniel Johnson) have become past masters at it.

It really is very easy to stop by booking players who stand in front of the ball, kick it away or stop it being returned into play, it baffles me why this has been allowed to creep into the game, just like drawing a foul to win a penalty (Preston again) it is cheating.

Danny Williams was the player I so wanted us to sign in those first few seasons back in the Champ.  Absolute nause of a DM, but also a good player too.

14 minutes ago, marmite said:

Watch the ref at free kicks. They, more often than not, walk away or look away rather than deal with the tactical delaying tactics. Having said that, all teams, including us, block the free kick or kick/carry the ball away. I frigging hate it. You seldom get any advantage from a free kick.

Yes, spot on.  They miss so much, and their assistants don’t help them out.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

This was brought up a while back. Referees were given a directive at the start of last season to not book players for ( what is classed as ) petty offences. The reason given is/was that a small kick of the ball away etc isn’t as serious as a lot of yellow cards given for fouls etc. Previously players were getting two yellows and getting sent off for these ‘petty’ offences and managers were kicking up big time that this wasn’t warranted.

So, rightly or wrongly the FA put pressure on the refereeing authorities to be far more lenient.

Referees then get the blame, as always! 

5 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

This was brought up a while back. Referees were given a directive at the start of last season to not book players for ( what is classed as ) petty offences. The reason given is/was that a small kick of the ball away etc isn’t as serious as a lot of yellow cards given for fouls etc. Previously players were getting two yellows and getting sent off for these ‘petty’ offences and managers were kicking up big time that this wasn’t warranted.

So, rightly or wrongly the FA put pressure on the refereeing authorities to be far more lenient.

Short sightedness from the FA then. Something that annoys everyone and could be stamped out fairly simply. 

I still blame the Refs, they do book players for lumping the ball miles, but ignore what is the same offence if you throw or kick it just a short way.

7 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Short sightedness from the FA then. Something that annoys everyone and could be stamped out fairly simply. 

I still blame the Refs, they do book players for lumping the ball miles, but ignore what is the same offence if you throw or kick it just a short way.

How can you blame them, when they are doing exactly what they have been instructed to do ?!

I've just watche the extended highlights on Swans TV and Luton had a 'mare after going 3-0 up; they missed an absolute sitter, then dropped points like we did late on Wed night.

Lansbury should have got a red but was probably in the ref's ear all game up until then like he was at Ashton Gate. Rule change as suggested above is clearly the way forward; if your side in penalised no-one should be allowed to collect, or touch the ball AT ALL

4 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

I’m right in thinking, aren’t you a ref, or a qualified ref.  I agree with what you say, FA or governing body at fault.

4 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

I understand what the FA are driving at, but players are very cute at working out what they can get away with, and then pushing it to the extreme.

I like the rugby approach here to collective sinning. Ref should have the right to call the captain over and say ‘right, that’s a couple of times now your players have deliberately interfered with a free kick. Let them know, next one to do it gets a yellow’.

5 minutes ago, cityexile said:

I understand what the FA are driving at, but players are very cute at working out what they can get away with, and then pushing it to the extreme.

I like the rugby approach here to collective sinning. Ref should have the right to call the captain over and say ‘right, that’s a couple of times now your players have deliberately interfered with a free kick. Let them know, next one to do it gets a yellow’.

We could learn so much from rugby officiating imho.

16 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

What bugs me is the inconsistency though. I played saturday and the ref dished out a yellow for a little poke away like the one in the video while the game was 0-0

At 2-1 when we were seeing out the game one of our players was offside, and blatently just booted the ball anyway after the whistle and the ref did nothing.

They regularly make a decision but then refuse to follow up any future offences with the same punishment. E.g. Swansea at home when one of their players was booked for time wasting on a throw on about 55 minutes, that should have set a precedent for any future time wasting but it didn't and they got away with it several times after.

I know refereeing isn't easy, but surely that's fairly straight forward to be consistent with?

12 hours ago, cityexile said:

They do have that "right" and it happens quite often when a game gets a bit spicy or there's a lot of dissent flying around

49 minutes ago, RedRock said:

The sooner we eradicate diving from the game the better.

It'll never be completely "eradicated". It's too subjective

Many people think Ronaldo should have had a Pen, I think he went down before contact was made hence a dive. It's not stonewall either way it's just opinions.

How many people said Sterling dived against Denmark? IMO that wasn't a dive, there was clear contact from both sides and at a sprint/quick acceleration pace who is to say how much contact brings someone down. The slightest touch in a Rugby "tap tackle" can bring down a 16 stone bloke when running at full pace - they certainly aren't diving!

19 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

All right ref ?

1 hour ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I think it should have been a straight red.

Is it possible for a red card to be retrospectively applied? I guess if it is then the EFL will look into it (wasn't Diedhiou's red card for 'spitting' retrospectively applied?)

Not when the ref has dealt with it - i.e he deemed it a yellow card. 

2 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Fair enough - then how come Diedhiou's 'offence' was retrospectively punished?

I think because he didn't face any punishment on the pitch, did he? 

Archived